Pickup

Hey all, I just had some questions about the pickup ability. Each Pokemon in your party has a 10% chance of picking up an item during every single battle, correct? So if I carried 5 pickup Pokemon, each battle I'd have a 50% chance of picking up an item? Is that percentage the same in Rejuvenation? And does that include defeating wild Pokemon?

The reason I ask is because I've been carrying 2 pickup Pokemon while doing some EV training in the EV training rooms. I've been at it about 2 hours and just got my first pickup item. For a while I thought you just couldn't get them against those trainers (which would be understandable) but now I'm not sure if I've just got terrible luck or what. I've yet to crack even the first pickup achievement on this file, and I need new ways of getting AP in the early game now that berry prices have been raised.

Any info pertaining to any of this is much appreciated!!

8 minutes ago, MDM1 Beans said:

Each Pokemon in your party has a 10% chance of picking up an item during every single battle, correct? So if I carried 5 pickup Pokemon, each battle I'd have a 50% chance of picking up an item

No. But that’s just because probability doesn’t work like that. You have a (9/10)^5 , which is about 59% chance of not getting an item with any of the 5 pickup Pokémon. This means you have a 41% chance of getting at least 1 item.

still, you should be getting items more frequently. So either you are unlucky or rejuvenation has a lowered pickup rate

Given that Rejuv. has an Achievement based entirely on getting Items through Pickup, I highly doubt that it has a decreased spawn rate with the Ability. They're not meant to be that tedious to complete, after all. Though yes, Pickup can (and frequently does) activate against wild pokemon.

1 hour ago, MDM1 Beans said:

Hey all, I just had some questions about the pickup ability. Each Pokemon in your party has a 10% chance of picking up an item during every single battle, correct? So if I carried 5 pickup Pokemon, each battle I'd have a 50% chance of picking up an item? Is that percentage the same in Rejuvenation? And does that include defeating wild Pokemon?

The reason I ask is because I've been carrying 2 pickup Pokemon while doing some EV training in the EV training rooms. I've been at it about 2 hours and just got my first pickup item. For a while I thought you just couldn't get them against those trainers (which would be understandable) but now I'm not sure if I've just got terrible luck or what. I've yet to crack even the first pickup achievement on this file, and I need new ways of getting AP in the early game now that berry prices have been raised.

Any info pertaining to any of this is much appreciated!!

It's definitely not deliberate. If you've done 10 battles an hour for 2 hours, then the odds of not getting a pickup is around 1.5%- which is solidly in the "you could just be unlucky" territory. If you've done 20 battles an hour for 2 hours, then the odds of not getting a pickup is around 1 in 4,600, which is in the realm of "if you're unlucky, you're pretty dang unusually unlucky". If you've done 30 battles an hour for 2 hours, then the odds of not getting a pickup is around 3 in 10 million. Which is solidly in the "either something's wrong, you're incredibly unlucky, or you're cursed". Idk the actual luck you've been having, and haven't been using the EV training rooms myself so idk how fast you finish battles, but that should give you an idea as to the scope of the problem.

With a 5 mon pickup team, I've been getting 2-3 items every few battles in the EV rooms, sometimes even lucking out with 4-5.  I'm not sure if something changed from V11 (which I'm using) to V12 but your drop rates should be much higher.  I don't think level should have anything to do with rate of drops, just what you get, but maybe there is an error there in V12?  This would have to fall into extremely bad luck otherwise, even with just 2 pickup users.  

Ok, thank you all for the information, it is very much appreciated! My drop rate was really low the entire time I was EV training, but I'm going to keep an eye on it as I continue on and do regular trainer and wild battles.

Also, my probability math is terrible 😅 That's what I get for not going to school.