Getting Floored by Fern...

CaptainNikolai

I made it through the Onyx Trainer's School, and I reached a point where Fern blocks my path to face Florinina. I don't have a full party, as everything I've encountered is duplicating my Typing situation pretty badly (mainly with Poison), and I doubled up anyway just for Type advantage, which isn't really working. How can I get past Fern and his insanely strong Dartrix? It's a struggle just to make it to the Dartrix, my party is horribly crippled by the time I get to it. Any valuable Pokemon I'm missing out on catching? My team so far is:

Reborn In-Game.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, CaptainNikolai said:

I made it through the Onyx Trainer's School, and I reached a point where Fern blocks my path to face Florinina. I don't have a full party, as everything I've encountered is duplicating my Typing situation pretty badly (mainly with Poison), and I doubled up anyway just for Type advantage, which isn't really working. How can I get past Fern and his insanely strong Dartrix? It's a struggle just to make it to the Dartrix, my party is horribly crippled by the time I get to it. Any valuable Pokemon I'm missing out on catching? My team so far is:

Reborn In-Game.jpg

I recommend adding Vanillish to the team, as it can deal with Dartrix easily. It can either Icy Wind and outspeed next turn, or OHKO Dartrix with Avalanche. Also, you really need a Fire type on your team to deal with Florina; preferably Numel.

8 hours ago, Nebulazure said:

I recommend adding Vanillish to the team, as it can deal with Dartrix easily. It can either Icy Wind and outspeed next turn, or OHKO Dartrix with Avalanche. Also, you really need a Fire type on your team to deal with Florina; preferably Numel.

I did A LOT of grinding with the Kricketot I got from an in-game trade. Grinded it to 16 to have it learn Bug Bite, then evolved it, grinded to 24. Also, while grinding, I came across a Litleo in a Hide-And-Seek event, so I got the Fire type I also needed (Dartrix 2HKO'd Kricketune, so I was able to have Litleo clean up). Battle was still somewhat difficult because my Kricketune has a negative Speed nature. But Fern was a lot harder than Florinia herself.

I think Florinia's strategy (or maybe the AI) can hinder her effectiveness given you get the right team, I also encountered more resistance in Fern, in my ground monorun, because sandstorm didn't get me. While they're both grass-type at the time, fern don't have that specialization.