Obtaining unreleased moves... legit?

Lorisaur

I have a weird idea in my mind, yet to be tested. Let's suppose that we want to teach earthquake to a Charizard or a Metagross in Pokemon Reborn. That would make sense and be very useful for the team. Sadly, tm26 is not available yet. Before gen 6 came out, it was possible to teach a son any tm move it could learn if the father knew it. For example: female Charizard, male Rhydon. It would be great, right? And it's possible, just required to play an older episode. Sadly some powerhouses like Metagross or Magnezone can't breed, or others like Garchomp or Tyranitar were not available, but hey there are many important mons like u-turn MBeedrill, ice beam/sludge bomb Nidoking, Gastrodon, Venusaur, LITTERALLY ANYONE (or at least many pokemon). I just have to test if breeding mechanics were in older episodes too, I don't know as I didn't play them. If it's possible, I'll make a male and a female of any pokemon with useful unreleased obtainable tms, as in gen 7 tm moves can be still taught if BOTH parents know it. I'll update the game to ep18 and I may pass all the pokemons to some breeding experts like @LilyX or someone else so that we'll all have theorically unreleased moves... legitly

3 minutes ago, Lorisaur said:

I have a weird idea in my mind, yet to be tested. Let's suppose that we want to teach earthquake to a Charizard or a Metagross in Pokemon Reborn. That would make sense and be very useful for the team. Sadly, tm26 is not available yet. Before gen 6 came out, it was possible to teach a son any tm move it could learn if the father knew it. For example: female Charizard, male Rhydon. It would be great, right? And it's possible, just required to play an older episode. Sadly some powerhouses like Metagross or Magnezone can't breed, or others like Garchomp or Tyranitar were not available, but hey there are many important mons like u-turn MBeedrill, ice beam/sludge bomb Nidoking, Gastrodon, Venusaur, LITTERALLY ANYONE (or at least many pokemon). I just have to test if breeding mechanics were in older episodes too, I don't know as I didn't play them. If it's possible, I'll make a male and a female of any pokemon with useful unreleased obtainable tms, as in gen 7 tm moves can be still taught if BOTH parents know it. I'll update the game to ep18 and I may pass all the pokemons to some breeding experts like @LilyX or someone else so that we'll all have theorically unreleased moves... legitly

The first part does indeed work. The second part is the problem: If you update to Ep. 18, only moves that are recognized as egg moves will be passed on while breeding. So even if a pokemon can a) learn a move per tm and b) knows the move through your method, by breeding it in an earlier episode, the offspring won´t know the move if it´s not an egg move.

Breeding with parents who BOTH know a move works only with level up moves (and standard egg moves ofc.) but sadly not with TM moves 😞

6 hours ago, LilyX said:

The first part does indeed work. The second part is the problem: If you update to Ep. 18, only moves that are recognized as egg moves will be passed on while breeding. So even if a pokemon can a) learn a move per tm and b) knows the move through your method, by breeding it in an earlier episode, the offspring won´t know the move if it´s not an egg move.

Breeding with parents who BOTH know a move works only with level up moves (and standard egg moves ofc.) but sadly not with TM moves 😞

Uh, didn't know that... no problem, it means I'll do everything myself

7 minutes ago, Lorisaur said:

OH ARCEUS i forgot a thing: its possible to downgrade the game

This means I can breed an army of earthquaking Garchomps 

Let me know if you are able to. If they changed the game to much since gen 5 (don´t remember which episode corresponds to that), you won´t be able to open the safe files with older episodes.

Guest Relinquished
3 hours ago, Lorisaur said:

OH ARCEUS i forgot a thing: its possible to downgrade the game

This means I can breed an army of earthquaking Garchomps 

After ep17 release, you CANNOT downgrade (mostly because graphics and programming/code). There is incompatibility. The possible downgrade is from ep9 -> all the way to 16 i think and vice versa (ep16 -> all the way to 9).

People used to downgrade both for TM breeding and pokemon (Gyarados, Gengar, etc).

The most questionable thing would be to backtrack to get an axed mon from an episode where it wasn't axed but since at this point there are no unobtainable mons outside of legendaries and we can't actually backtrack, I'm pretty sure those moves are not obtainable per se if you don't trade with someone who got them before (Calm Mind TM, I miss you) so if you want a recently available mon (Garchomp) to get a move with an old game mechanic newer chapters don't have, I don't think that would be legit. 

Ok, it looks like some pokemon like Garchomp or Scizor can't benefit of all this, too bad for them. Other pokemon, as Nidoking, Beedrill, Empoleon or Starmie need them much, so that's useful.

Here we get in a hard topic which is genning. I play competitively, and genning is considered as almost mandatory, everyone does it as having flawless pokemon is necessary and teams are often used just few weeks or days before becoming obsolete, or discovering that they are bad. The huge time needed for doing all this by hand is not possible, and those who can't cheat pokemon by themselves (like me) have friends doing it for them too. A pokemon is so declared as "legal" if theorically obtainable: for example, I have an Hydreigon, it is over lv64 and it's possible to see his egg moves. He was caught with a legal ball and so on. Even some clearly cheated pokemon like Porygon in an UC ball have been accepted as their stats are just ok

What do I want to mean with all this? It's not at all to encourage genning in any way. It only has to be... accepted, especially when conditions make very hard breeding pokemon. Like now. 

Let's suppose now I'm a very experienced reborn player, I had a wonderful sun team when in gen5 weathers did not expire and my Growth Venusaur swept anyone. Earthquake was however needed as so common Chandelures and Ninetales (ok Chandelure was not common but he is fantastic in any metagame where Heatran is not allowed and weather mechanics are broken) could stop him with ease. I legally taught it by breeding my female Venusaur with a male Rhydon, or my friend's male Torterra. After some years, I've booted up the game again and oh it was ep18. As earthquake was obtained legally, it should be legal. If something can be theorically legal, it can be cheated and it would not be different from cheating anything else in this game. It's possible to complain that cheating ruins both fun and Ame's concept of playing reborn, and that's true, but in this case it might be needed. U-Turn and Volt Switch are going to be part of the metagame soon

I only need to do it by hand ONCE to proof 100% that it is legal

Edited by Lorisaur