Shamitako

You met one of your favorite authors, Felicity Whateley, at a convention recently. She seemed to take a liking to you, and gave you a folder containing her, “notes on my latest project.” It was more than a little bit of an honor, and you felt jealous stares at your back the whole way back to your hotel. But when you opened the folder, what you found weren’t spoilers for Felicity’s next book, but rather photocopies of some kind of journal. An envelope near the back revealed a note from Felicity.

“This is not a joke, this journal is real. It was written by someone who survived the Otherworld, and it’s the key to exploring the unknown. I’d like your help in following their legacy. Read through the journal and think it over. If you’re willing to risk everything to discover the impossible, come to my mansion in New York. I’ve enclosed a plane ticket and the phone number for my driver so he can pick you up.

Signed,

Felicity Whateley”

What else was there to do but read?

The Otherworld

An impossible world separated from reality, home to unimaginable creatures. At times its power seeps into our world, inspiring authors and madmen alike. But I’ve found a way to reverse the process, allowing the beings of our world to travel to the Otherworld.

It is not without risk, the other world is sure to be fraught with danger, but I cannot just let it go unexplored. This is a world that holds great influence over our own, yet we know nothing about it. I have no choice but to go forward with this. I plan to leave this very night. In the likely event that I do not return, I have left behind my notes on the ritual...

The Other World rejects my very presence, attempting to destroy me. Were it not for bonding with one of the native creatures immediately upon arrival, I would surely be dead. Even with this creature bound to me, I am not safe. The terrain is a treacherous network of narrow tunnels that seem to completely ignore the concepts of up and down. The walls are a writhing mass of purple and grey, constantly moving as if they are alive. And every once in awhile I encounter a large cavern with a shallow pond of glowing green-white liquid at the bottom and a large group of monsters.

Thus far my Otherworldly Symbiote has protected me, but I know not how much longer I can last.

Symbiote

When I first arrived in the Otherworld, I immediately realized I had made a fatal mistake. All that I had brought with me was destroyed in transit, and the very air threatened to burn me to death. Worse, my arrival had drawn the attention of one of the native creatures, a slimy mass of tentacles and teeth. It jumped towards me, and I was certain I was going to die. But death was not what awaited me. The creature joined itself to me, becoming like a second skin, and protecting me from the harshness of the Otherworld.

I could sense that my Symbiote’s intentions were not pure, it had joined with me with the to corrupt me. But I accepted that if it meant I would survive a little longer to discover the truth of the Otherworld. With its protection, I would challenge this world for its secrets.

My Symbiote needs feeding, and each time it feeds, I learn a little about the Otherworld. I quickly discovered that I was not the first to come here, there were others before me. I noticed a trend in the physical traits of those that were bonded to. Young women with youthful figures, little muscle, and freckles or birthmarks. There were exceptions, I myself am much better endowed than most, but they were few in number.

I also noticed what seemed to be five different ways of bonding to a Symbiote. Some connected with their mind but resisted a bodily connection, some lost their minds entirely and allowed the Symbiote to take hold of them, some refused to fully connect to the Symbiote and used it only as a tool, some melded with it perfectly yet managed to retain full control of their minds, and others were like myself, accepting that the creature had become a part of them, but not allowing it to fully join with them.

Though I am connected with my Symbiote, the strength of that connection varies. As our bond becomes stronger, I can feel the thoughts of my Symbiote more clearly. Or perhaps its thoughts are becoming my own. Whatever the case, I fear for what will happen should I become too close with it. Yet I also fear that should our connection become too weak, it will abandon me.

Rifts

As I explored the Othwerworld, I encountered Rifts through which our world seeped through. Simply being near them strengthened my mind and weakened my Symbiote’s attempts to corrupt me. As well, I was able to acquire weapons from the Rifts which proved surprisingly effective in fighting off the creatures of the Otherworld once connected to my Symbiote.

Since these Rifts are connected to our world, I believe them to be my only hope of ever returning home. Should that become impossible, perhaps I can at least send my journal back as a guide for those wishing to follow in my footsteps.

Further pages served as a record of specific events: Encountering various creatures, fighting against the terrain itself, and trying various ways to escape through a Rift. It was more than enough to convince you to go and hear Felicity out. There was immense risk, but you had your reasons.

~~Mechanics~~

With the story covered, we now move into the mechanics. There’s a lot to go through, but let me start by explaining this spreadsheet to you.

The first page is the character sheet I’ll be using, it automatically sorts out your stats based on your level, Types, and equipped Gear. This is not the character sheet you’ll submit to me, but a version of it pertaining to your character will be maintained on the Accepted Characters spreadsheet.

By default, your character gains 5 Health per level, 2 Sanity per level, and 1 each of Dexterity, Strength, and Wisdom per level. This is modified by the multipliers granted by your Type and any equipped Gear. As well, Gear may have stats that add extra points per level (at a rate matching the basic rate) but are not affected by multipliers.

The second page notes the basics of the Types and Classes.

The other pages are the skill lists for each Class, displaying unlock conditions, attunement cost, and their effect.

Combat

Combat in this game is turn-based, but does not rely on a rigid system. Combat is resolved in order of player post, with enemies usually only acting after all players in an encounter have acted. When a player or enemy has a turn, they may use all of their equipped skills one time each in any order so long as they have the resources to cast them.

After combat, you may gain Eldritch Attunements or Rift Energy, used for skill attunement and gacha rolls respectively, based on how many enemies you defeated. You may also gain or lose Bond depending on how your Symbiote feels about you after the combat. (Generally you will gain unless you took a lot of damage or didn’t kill anything.)

The state of characters in combat will be tracked on the Accepted Characters spreadsheet.

Field Mechanics

Not everything will happen during combat. Many of the things you do will be performed through roleplay. Outside of combat you may gain or lose Health, Sanity, or Bond from roleplay effects. In particular, Bond will be necessary to manipulate through roleplay effects.

While out of combat, you may still use some skills. Any skill that deals damage, affects Bond, or restores Sanity may not be used.

You may be subjected to checks to perform certain actions in the field. If your stats are not high enough, you will fail. Checks will only be tied to predetermined actions, and the value to pass will be decided before any party member attempts that action. (You’ll have to take my word on that, since this is all behind the curtain.)

And, on rare occasions, you may be given the opportunity to learn a new skill from the field.

Rifts

Sometimes in your travels, you may encounter Rifts. Rifts are your respite from the horrors of the Otherworld. Upon reaching a Rift, your Bond will be reduced by 25%, your Sanity will be restored to full (Consumed will only restore 50% of their Sanity), all buffs and debuffs will be cleared, and skills with limited uses will recharge.

While at a Rift you may access the Gacha, change your equipped skills (and freely use skills regardless of equip), and give one item to another player if you so choose.

Types

There are five Types of bond your character may have with their Symbiote, each with a different set of stat multipliers, effective against different Types of enemies, and gaining(/\) or losing(\/) Bond at different rates during roleplay. Though both Types and Classes have lore tied to them, you should focus primarily on Type lore over Class lore.

All Types have a baseline appearance of having a smooth, skin tight suit that covers the entire body below the neck, with the location of further design elements (texturing, protrusions, etc) varying by Type. The base color is a dull greyish-purple, with the Type color used as an accent.

Absorbed

The Absorbed allows their Symbiote into their mind, but recoils when it touches their body. They bond with it to sharpen their mind, and inevitably it will take over that mind. But until then, they use its power to fend off the empty world around them.

Spoiler

Color: Blue

Multipliers: 110%/100%/90%/140%/110%

Bond: Medium(/\), Medium(\/)

Effectiveness: 2x damage against Inflamed, 0.5x damage from Inflamed

Design: Unlike every other Type, the Absorbed rejects physical contact with their Symbiote. The areas that the Symbiote covers are minimized, usually resulting in only certain areas being covered at all (at the very least causing large gaps in the suit). Any further design elements will be focused around the upper back and  forearms, should those areas be covered.

Inflamed

The Inflamed has long past lost their mind to their Symbiote, with only the most raw and primal of emotions remaining in them. They have little control over their impulses, and aggressively seek to fulfill their desires.

Spoiler

Color: Red

Multipliers: 80%/60%/150%/130%/130%

Bond: High(/\), Low(\/)

Effectiveness: 2x damage against Protected, 0.5x damage from Protected

Design: Design elements should be focused around the upper body, particularly the upper chest and shoulders.

Protected

The Protected fears their Symbiote, and refuses to let it touch their mind. It is only a tool they use to survive, nothing more.

Spoiler

Color: Green

Multipliers: 160%/120%/110%/70%/90%

Bond: Low(/\), High(\/)

Effectiveness: 2x damage against Absorbed, 0.5x damage from Absorbed

Design: Design elements should be focused around the lower body and legs, as well as the back.

Enlightened

The Enlightened understands the true nature of their Symbiote and allows it to commune with their mind and body both, but refuse to let it take control. They maintain a precarious grip over their Symbiote, and the slightest mistake could result in a total loss of self.

Spoiler

Color: Yellow

Multipliers: 100%/150%/70%/80%/150%

Bond: High(/\), High(\/)

Effectiveness: 2x damage against Protected, 0.5x damage from Protected

Design: Design elements should be limited to the shoulders and thighs.

Consumed

The Consumed has melded perfectly with their Symbiote, becoming a perfect merger of human and suit. They are simultaneously corrupted and sane, and at no risk of being taken over, as they and their Symbiote are of one mind in resisting the Otherworld.

Spoiler

Color: Purple

Multipliers: 90%/90%/90%/90%/90%

Bond: Low(/\), Low(\/)

Effectiveness: Deals and takes 1.5x damage from all except Enlightened

Design: The suit should creep up past the usual limit to cover part of the neck and head. Design elements may be anywhere, so long as their location is made semi-discordant.

Classes

There are seven classes which determine what gear you can equip and what skills you’ll acquire as you progress. As stated above, they do have lore tied to them, but you should only make use of it if it fits your character, prioritize classes as a mechanical device over their story relevance.

Gunner

The Gunner resists the power of the Otherworld, choosing to utilize man-made weapons to defend themselves. They rely on their quick reflexes to tear through their foes with hails of bullets and a slew of debuffs.

Spoiler

Focus: Single target Dexterity damage

Weapon: Firearms

Head: Visors

Torso: Sashes

Extremities: Knives

Striker

The Striker goes head to head with the creatures of the Otherworld, putting their life on the line to destroy them. Using their sharpened blades, they cut down the horrors in front of them with little regard for their own safety.

Spoiler

Focus: Strength damage, bonus damage at lower health

Weapon: Blades

Head: Ribbons

Torso: Chestplates

Extremities: Gloves

Speaker

The Speaker announces the hidden truths of the Otherworld, shouting them to all who will listen. They use horns to draw attention to their words, offering a brief respite in return for complete submission.

Spoiler

Focus: Wisdom damage, healing

Weapon: Horns

Head: Necklaces

Torso: Cloaks

Extremities: Lights

Survivor

The Survivor gladly accepts the Otherworld so long as it offers to protect them. They use polearms to keep the creatures that would do them harm at bay.

Spoiler

Focus: Tank that soaks damage and deals it back

Weapon: Polearms

Head: Visors

Torso: Chestplates

Ranger

The Ranger uses their time in the OTherworld as training exercise and learning experience, looking to not only survive it, but master it. Their bow is always ready to put an arrow through the horrors that challenge them, but they have also learned to turn the Otherworld against itself, manipulating the terrain into expert traps.

Spoiler

Focus: AoE damage dealer that relies on a mix of Dexterity and Strength

Weapon: Bows

Torso: Cloaks

Extremities: Knives

Savior

The Savior not only rejects the Otherworld, but seeks to protect others from its influence. They carry a shield which they use to guard others from the horrors before them.

Spoiler

Focus: Defensive support class that keeps allies alive

Weapon: Shields

Head: Necklace

Extremities: Gloves

Revealer

The Revealer is an insidious preacher who whispers the secrets of the Otherworld into the ears of their allies, seeking to convert them under the guide of helping them. They carry books, from which they speak unintelligible truth to quell the masses that would cut their teaching short.

Spoiler

Focus: Weak raw stats made up for by powerful utility

Weapon: Books

Skills

Skills are your primary method of interacting with the game’s mechanics, and serve as the core of the combat system. You may have up to 10 skills equipped at any given time.

Skills are primarily activated in combat, but some have non-combat effects. If using a skill would reduce your Health or Sanity below 0, you will not be able to use it. The same goes for using a skill that would cause your Bond to increase/decrease beyond 100%/-100%.

Skills are acquired by achieving their unlock condition, or--rarely--through roleplay, and can be improved at any time by spending Rift Attunements equal to their attunement cost. The final attunement on a skill will cost twice as much as the rest.

Gear

Gear are items you equip which modify your stats. What types of gear you can equip depends on your Class, but all classes have access to one weapon, one headpiece, one torso piece, and one extremities piece.

Gear can add flat stats per level that are unaffected by multipliers or it can increase your multipliers. A stat point on Gear is worth 1 stat point every 2 levels. It is split into three categories, SSR, SR, and R, in order of strength.

Gear is acquired by rolling the gacha.

Gacha

The gacha is where you acquire gear, it can be accessed at Rifts. Rolling gacha requires 5 Rift Energy to acquire one Gear. The gacha may be rolled 5 times at once with 25 Rift energy, rolling this way guarantees you an SR or better piece of Gear.

Unused Gear is stored in your inventory, which can hold up to 15 pieces of Gear. Your inventory size can be expanded by 5 for 3 Rift Energy.

Rift Energy is acquired by defeating enemies or performing certain actions in roleplay.

The rates for the gacha can be found here.

Items

You can also acquire items through roleplay that can restore your Health and Sanity. They can be stored in your inventory alongside your Gear.

Health

Health is a key stat that indicates what shape your character is in physically. When it drops below zero, you will die. Health can be restored through skills, items, or roleplay, but does not recover at Rifts.

Sanity

Sanity indicates your mental state and how well you can resist the influences of the Otherworld. It also serves commonly as a resource for activating skills. When your Sanity drops below 0, you will lose 10% of your maximum Health and gain 20% Bond at the start of every turn. Sanity can be restored by skills, items, roleplay, or by visiting a Rift.

Bond

Bond represents how closely connected you are with your Symbiote. It can range from -100% to 100%. Bond increases most of your stat multipliers, but reduces your Sanity multiplier. If you are already at -100% Bond and your Bond tries to decrease, your Symbiote will abandon you and you will die. If at 100% and it tries to increase, your Symbiote will take over completely, your will die, and your body will become an enemy for the other players.

Consumed Types are not negatively affected by Bond increase, losing no Sanity and being at no risk of being taken over at 100% Bond.

Though there is no set threshold, your Symbiote’s level of interaction will vary depending on your Bond percentage. Getting too low will make it unresponsive and you’ll struggle to control it out of combat. Getting it to high will make it more active, and you’ll find your control over your own faculties weakening.

Bond can be altered by skills, through roleplay,and  after combat. It will also be reduced at Rifts.

Character Creation

When creating a character, you have two options. You may either create your character and have them accepted, and then roll the gacha for your starting Gear. Or you may roll the gacha and a random Type before, and base the rest of your character on what you roll.

There are several physical traits that are recommended for your character, but far from required. In some cases, defying this trait list will result in trouble traversing the Otherworld. In others it may result in more difficulty obtaining a Sybmiote (you are guaranteed a Symbiote, but not matching the standard trait list may find you a more eccentric one). Symbiotes generally prefer to bond to those they deem weak.

Spoiler

• Female: Makes acquiring other traits easier and is a sign of weakness to Symbiotes. Felicity will only be looking for females, so if you defy this you better have been wearing a really good cosplay.
  • Dark brown or black hair: Dark hair can absorb some of the Otherworld’s energy and will be destroyed more slowly. Having lighter hair means a good chance of your hair being burned away entirely before you acquire a Symbiote.
  • Dark skin: Same as the above, though once you get a Symbiote it won’t matter, it will just hurt less.
  • Dark eyes: As with the above, if your eyes are a lighter shade, you may be blinded.
  • Short: The Otherworld can be extremely cramped, being shorter lessens the chances of becoming trapped. The tallest you should be if you want to avoid trouble is 5’4”.
  • Lanky build: Being overweight or muscular will make squeezing into small spaces troublesome. As well, having low muscle mass is a sign of weakness that attracts Symbiotes.
  • Flat chested: Being well-endowed will not help your case when trying to sneak around. Being flat is another sign of weakness.
  • Freckles or a birthmark: Blemishes are a sign of weakness that attracts Symbiotes
  • Inward facing belly button: Another sign of weakness.
  • Neutral facial features: Being an effeminate man or a boyish girl (without the athleticism to back it up) is a sign of weakness as well.

Character Sheet

The following is the sheet you’ll be submitting to me, but not what will be listed on the Accepted Character list.

Spoiler

Name: [Your character’s name]

Age: [14-20 is the age range that reads Felicity’s work the most]

Personality: [A brief description of the sort of person your character is. Be aware that the influence of the Otherworld will almost certainly alter this over the course of the RP.]

Appearance: [Your character’s appearance before entering the Otherworld. Keep the above traits in mind, but don’t let them overcome traits that match your personality. Also don’t feel a need to list the weirder ones like slim hands unless you’re defying them]

Symbiote Name: [Your Symbiote’s name, may affect their personality]

Symbiote Appearance: [What your suit looks like. Keep in mind your Type, but try to have fun coming up with weird and creepy design elements]

Type: [What Type your character is, talk to me if you plan to RNG it]

Class: [And their Class. If you’re pre-rolling the gacha, don’t fill this out until that’s been done]

Notes

Just some notes on things I couldn’t fit in above.

I’ll be in full control over your Symbiote and their personality, just in case that wasn’t apparent.

Feel free to ask questions any time you need clarification

Links:

Discord, ask for the Gacha role

Basic Sheet/Skills

Gacha

Rules:

Spoiler

1. Do not expect things to always go your way, especially in this RP. Please keep calm and try to remember this
  2. Be polite and respect the other players and myself
  3. Communicate when you have issues or will be away from the RP for a while
  4. Avoid RP taboos such as powerplaying and metagaming
  5. Let’s all have fun and roleplay together!

Accepted Characters

That should be everything. If you got this far, I appreciate you taking your time to read through this monster of an OOC and would love to have you participate in my RP ^^

With Hope,

Lexi

I have arrived for Gacha shenanigans

Spoiler

Name: Angela Djurna

Personality: Angela, generally, projects herself as a loner who doesn’t like to talk to people a lot. For the most part, this is true. However, past that projection, Angela is, at her core, an adventurous individual who will take what chances she can to enjoy the thrill of life. That, and she’s a giant nerd for a large amount of different works, which when combined with her adventurous self, led her to take the shot of meeting Felicity again.

Appearance: 5’2” with a noticeable petite frame, Angela is a girl who can best be described at someone who stays inside all the time and always appears tired. Pale white skin contrasting with dark circles under light grey eyes, with fairly long, disheveled and wild black hair that falls around her eyes. Her outfits tend to have a large amount of layers to them, making her appear larger than she seems.

Symbiote Name: Ebrietas
Symbiote Appearance: For the most part, Ebrietas takes her form upon Angela as most symbiotes do, being a greyish purple suit covering almost all of Angela’s body, with yellow highlights trailing through it due to Angela’s own self. The most notable part of her comes with the fact that slimy, branch-like white tendrils extend from the back of Angela’s shoulders, going all the way down to her ankles, with stiff webbing going between them. These even have the habit of twitching and pulsing from time to time, without much pattern.

Type: Enlightened 
Class: Savior

Slides into new gacha thing.

Spoiler

Name: Lulu Reyes

Personality: A rather quite girl who spends more time with books than people. Though she doesn't tend to say very much, she has a bad habit of saying whatever is going through her mind, regardless of other people's feelings. This may be a side effect of her school life where her appearance led to no end of jeers and insults, causing her to care less about whether her own words hurt other people.

Appearance: Stands at 5 feet exactly, with medium length black hair and hazel eyes. Normally wears glasses due to her nearsightedness, and isn't particularly well endowed. Has a light tan and isn't very muscular or athletic.

Symbiote Name: Ophion

Symbiote Appearance: Greyish purple, with dark purple vein-like bands running across the suit up her body, up to her neck. On her face is a visor like protrusion, though no lenses are actually present within it. On her back are wing like protrusions, though they do not actually grant her any flight abilities.

Type: Consumed

Class: Revealer

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

Name: Artemis “Arty” Cromwell

Personality: Arty is an adventurous type, and the sort to go with the flow. She’s always looking for excitement - which has now gotten her into significantly more trouble than it normally does.

Appearance: A shorter girl (5 foot 1) with brown hair and eyes, and skin tanned from time in the sun. She's fairly well endowed (at least by the standards of most girls who enter this world), and the sort of build that speaks of a solid amount of cardio but not much muscle. 

Symbiote Name: Anastasia

Symbiote Appearance: The grey-purple, skintight suit covers Arty’s entire body, as they all do. Deep purple tendrils creep up her neck, one onto her face proper forming an almost monocle-like shape. There are deeper purple ridges along her shoulder and down her left arm, and spikes on her right shoulder.

Type: Consumed

Class: Gunner