Sprites Question

Hello, I have no idea if this goes in here or even if there's any solutions to what I'm asking but here it goes.

I just recently found out about https://www.smogon.com/cap/pokemon/ and I just love the design on some of those, so I wanted to use those sprites in my game and I decided on two of them I really want. Now the problem is:

- Sprites in Reborn have to be 160 pixels and 192 pixels on the back, while those sprites are 96x96 and 66x82 respectively on both sides. I *cannot* for the life of me understand how to rescale them. I don't understand how much of it should be rescaled and how much empty space should be added. Nor do I understand on what ratio does the back of the sprite change, the sprite itself is clearly a bit bigger but there's also more white space added. The proportions are always off from front to back and I am not sure how to rescale the image in the first place without messing up the rezolution, which always gets messed up really bad no matter what I do. I hope some of this makes sense and any help or advice would be much appreciated!

frontshiny-fcrucibelle-base.png.2bd330b7d51237c0dd216b25b100c39b.pngbackshiny-fcrucibelle-base.png.67969914095385c1002d696921d43496.pngbackshiny-fnecturna.png.51c6b19f879e5e6e1e11181052685d7f.pngfrontshiny-fnecturna.png.e238cec121d6b1989db0727106f38c0a.png This is what I'm trying to work with and it's driving me up the wall~

I believe there is a spriting thread in the Developing Games section of the forum (the typical place you'd post a question like this). I think Ame may also have some videos on Spriting tutorials on her YT channel as well.

Here's a link to both:

Ame's Spriting tutorial playlist: 

The thread I mentioned:

Ah, I'm not sure if it's too late to move the topic to the right place.

And thank you for the suggestions, it's not really what I'm looking for but if it comes to it I'm going to just redo the sprites completely with those tutorials instead of rescaling them. Really hope it won't get to that tho.

Edited by Solandris

For images 96x96 in size, a Resize to 192x192 will do the trick, in the way the above poster mentioned.

For the two sprites to the right, you'll have to adjust the canvas size first, rather than the sprite size. In Paint, that means going to the File menu -> Image Properties, then changing the Width and Height variables to 96x96.

image.png.50ceab1561ec9177797d3c41d6b168c1.png

And then you can apply the above resize method to those ones as well to make them 192x192.

1 hour ago, Night Fighter said:

Maybe this will help you?

Hide contents

IZNGYIr.png

wX4WT5L.png

DvePadM.png

If the sprites are too big, yeah you may have to adjust it. You don't actually need to redo the whole thing.

EDIT: So it goes like this...

Rbwt4YP.png

24 minutes ago, Nova said:

For images 96x96 in size, a Resize to 192x192 will do the trick, in the way the above poster mentioned.

For the two sprites to the right, you'll have to adjust the canvas size first, rather than the sprite size. In Paint, that means going to the File menu -> Image Properties, then changing the Width and Height variables to 96x96.

image.png.50ceab1561ec9177797d3c41d6b168c1.png

And then you can apply the above resize method to those ones as well to make them 192x192.

Thanks to both of you!! This is exactly what I've been looking for and it seems like it was so simple all along. I will update with the finished sprites when I'm done if anyone else wants to use 'em.

1 hour ago, Swamp King said:

You have missed clearing some spots! I'll point out what I am able to notice! Other than that they are ready to be added to the game!

image.png.a491f131ece2b53bfe6a04e7841c5cbe.png

Ah, you're right about the first one, it was the last one I did so I kinda rushed it. The second one is fine tho, that's how it's supposed to be. 🙂

Wouldn't it be cool if they were actually put into the game tho? They're not official but it's the next closest thing~

Edited by Solandris