Designs through the generations

Amethyst

• Administrators
I hear this a lot; about every three or four years I think:

"The new Pokémon suck."
"The original 150 will always be the best"
"All the new ones just look weird."

And I never believe it. Now, we're getting a lot of that again with the fifth generation creeping up on us, despite saying that for the past three generations.
....Why?
Are the designs really inferior? Can you show me how? Please?

Or is it a nostalgia factor? New Pokémon crampin' your childhood style?

Nearly all casual players side with the sentiment that the originals are always the best, but how about people around this site. What do you think? Are they really getting worse, or is it just in their heads? Or both?

Originals are the best. As [url="http://monkeypro.net/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=3881&view=findpost&p=66106"]stated on MP[/url] before, new Pokemon (To me, Generation 4+) look man-made. Older ones you can identify what they are meant to portray easily. Newer ones look forced to me.

I think it has to do with the original Pokemon looking so fresh and new when they first came out. Plus there IS A LOT OF TRUTH TO IT. I mean the Ken Sugimori was the only one to do the original 151. And I don't believe he had any input in generation four. It's the same reason why people HATE the character design in later Final Fantasys...It may be similar, but it's not the same, it doesn't feel the same, it's not done by the same person.

It clearly is a personal choice, and nostalgia may be a point of issue. I remember being so excited for Pokemon before it even hit the states, looking at all the Pokemon in Nintendo Powers and stuff I had. But the is a big difference to the designs, it's just different. It's just very hard to describe, especially considering none of us are pretentious art majors. But it's not done by the same person anymore, and that is clearly a point of issue as to WHY it may feel different to some of us.