Smash 5. Will we be able to vote for characters again?

Wolfox

23 minutes ago, Youmu9 said:

It'd be nice if Poo got in. But that'd be pretty random and catch a lot of people by surprise. But jokes aside, I'd want Snake back and I agree that Rex and Pyra are shoe ins for new xeno reps. And about Goku, I think he'd be pretty good in smash. He's not a standard brawler char since he has a ton of attacks that he can launch from a distance and he can teleport so you'd have to be very careful while fighting him. And I know he does not come from the gaming genre but Sakurai was breaking a lot of boundaries with Cloud already so I don't see a problem with Goku if a lot of people want him in Smash.

the issue with goku is this: If he is let in and the boundry from gaming characters is down everyone will need to get in: batman, Superman, naruto, luffy. Where is the limit then?

8 hours ago, Wolfox said:

the issue with goku is this: If he is let in and the boundry from gaming characters is down everyone will need to get in: batman, Superman, naruto, luffy. Where is the limit then?

Well, there is a limit. All those characters you mentioned have been on a nintendo console. That limit could still stand. Anyway, I know it's not very likely but if Goku somehow does get in then i'd be okay with it. And if that opens a bridge to those other characters then that's alright too. But I agree that a few of those examples are a lot more silly compared to Goku.

4 minutes ago, Youmu9 said:

Well, there is a limit. All those characters you mentioned have been on a nintendo console. That limit could still stand. Anyway, I know it's not very likely but if Goku somehow does get in then i'd be okay with it. And if that opens a bridge to those other characters then that's alright too. But I agree that a few of those examples are a lot more silly compared to Goku.

Jotaro and Star Platinum have also been on a nintendo console, so have most of the jump characters. so the limit is about as far out the window as you can toss it if Goku gets into smash.

12 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Jotaro and Star Platinum have also been on a nintendo console, so have most of the jump characters. so the limit is about as far out the window as you can toss it if Goku gets into smash.

Well. it's not like they have to add those other characters. Goku could just be an exception. Especially since he's so popular. 

Just now, Youmu9 said:

Well. it's not like they have to add those other characters. Goku could just be an exception. Especially since he's so popular. 

but why wouldn't they have to? if the allow manga/anime characters, the floodgates that should stay closed open. it will start with Goku, but soon after Naruto and Bleach fans will start bitching about Ichigo and Naruto, and then One Piece and it goes on and on until there are more characters originating from Manga/anime than there are from games. which completely ruin what smash technically is: a party fighting game where mainly Nintendo characters duke it out with a few exceptions here and there (snake, could and Sonic)

Goku's projectile spam wouldn't work all that well in smash, since there really wouldn't be all that much to counter it and allow other characters to approach. Ryu worked cuz his hadoukens were discrete balls of energy with travel time. At most, goku's kamehameha would have to work very similarly to Robin's Thoron, since it travels quickly and the whole length of the beam is capable of damage. His teleportation would likely be put in as a counter (think of Greninja's counter). I can see smaller energy ball barrages as being part of his directional throws, like mewtwo's. Or as his down air, which would make him hover in one spot as he delivered his attacks straight down (rather than plunging down like Link). His teleport could be his third jump like mewtwo's, and his counter can be after image like lucario's.

That reminds me, lucario and goku share the same voice actor in English, so there's that.

His jumps would be more like flight, similar to villager's balloons, but faster and smoother but still energy limited- which is similar to rob's, now that I think about it.

He would likely have rage mechanics at higher percents. His super would either be super saiyan/sonic's super, or a big kamehameha/samus's super.

his side special could be solar flare, a short range stun that requires the opponent to be facing you- a better version of mewtwo's confusion.

idk, the more I think about it, the more feasible Goku in smash seems to me.

10 hours ago, Wolfox said:

but why wouldn't they have to? if the allow manga/anime characters, the floodgates that should stay closed open. it will start with Goku, but soon after Naruto and Bleach fans will start bitching about Ichigo and Naruto, and then One Piece and it goes on and on until there are more characters originating from Manga/anime than there are from games. which completely ruin what smash technically is: a party fighting game where mainly Nintendo characters duke it out with a few exceptions here and there (snake, could and Sonic)

hqdefault.jpg
let them bitch.

We don't need naruto- we have greninja

we don't need ichigo- we have cloud/ike

we don't need goku- we have mewtwo/lucario. shit.

And while popular... they definitely have a different feel to 'em. The limit is and always will be whatever the devs feel like, and they've surprised us quite a bit in the past.

People always make the "Have they been on a Nintendo console?" argument when it isn't always the case.  Sakurai picks reps based on popularity, demand, and "what they represent."

yeah, the nintendo console one is unlikely. though I believe he does wish to stay away from characters that did not originate from gaming (only saying this because the smash ballet said only characters who originate from gaming)

Sakurai did say that somewhere.  He writes a lot of editorials in Japanese magazines and apparently plays a ton of different games.  Here is what he saw in the third party that got in.

Snake;

The biggest name in stealth games (at the time brawl released)

A huge revolutionary title for PS1 and GameCube.

Sonic;

Huge fan base and demand.

Mascot of Sega.

Was Mario and Nintendo’s rival in marketing and sales for years.

Sega does what Nintendon’t.

Megaman;

Is considered the mascot of Capcom, one of the biggest and most revolutionary Japanese developer.

Was often compared to Mario as “the harder alternative to platforming.”

second most popular requested 3rd party next to sonic since 64 and melee.

Pac-Man;

mascot of Namco Bandai.

Personally requested by Miyamoto back in the brawl dev days.

Miyamoto’s all time favorite video game character.

The very first video game character ever made.

A literal house hold name.

The most iconic Arcade Hero ever made, or you could call Mario “Mr. Platformer” and Pac-Man “Mr. Arcade.”

Ryu;

Every fighting game character ever is based on him or uses him as a base on “what a fighting game character should be.”

Main character of the most revolutionary fighting game ever, Street Fighter II.

The most iconic fighting game character ever, you could call him, “Mr. Fighting Game.”

Cloud;

Considered to be the third or fourth most requested third party under Sonic, Megaman, and potentially Geno.

Main character of one of the most iconic and revolutionary JRPGs ever made.

FF7 popularized JRPGs outside of Japan and made them slightly less niche.

In the PS1 days Cloud was seen as a rival to link, similar how Sonic and Crash Bandicoot rivaled Mario.

FF7 launched the same year as Ocarina of Time and they are both considered and somewhat compete for “the best game ever made” by many people.

Cloud is the most iconic JRPG character or  you could say that he is “Mr. JRPG.”

A lot of people claim that Cloud opens floodgates and I personally disagree.  What kept him from getting in was that he was owned by Square Enix.

Bayonetta;

Winner of the Smash Ballot.

Most voted in Europe, which has a higher population than America and Japan combined.

Revolutionized Action Games.

Created by one of the most influential game designers in Japan.

Sakurai played the game, loved it and thought “why can’t I make a game this good?”

And considering this logic my personal thoughts on who may be picked are the following. Starting from the most likely to the least.

1. Steve from MineCraft.

2. Crash Bandicoot.

3. Solaire from Dark Souls.

4. Shovel Knight.

5. Dovakin or Dragonborn from Elder Scrolls Skyrim.

The only thing really keeping those 5 is that they are not Japanese made.

pop quiz, do you know the only two smash characters not created by Japanese Developers?