LoL General Chat

The Fush

IF AMERICA CAN GO TO THE MOON WHY COULDN'T THE USSR?

Different fucking playing fields.

Different fucking games.

League's also a far more dynamic game than Dota. Constant changes to shift the game here and there, items constantly changing, new champs constantly being released, AND a vibrant competitive scene that's gotta be dealt with. I think Riot's doing an excellent job on balancing the game as they go, but eh, if some random guy thinks he can do better than people who sit around all day and balance the game, more power to him.

"Different fucking games"

What? It's like we have no historical knowledge whatsoever. Dota is a MOBA. League is a MOBA. The concept is the exact same. League's creators came after creating Dota to try something "new".

And dynamic isn't necessarily better. In fact, in League's case, it has no longer been dynamic for the entirety of season 4. Patches once a month, with miniscule changes that barely shift the meta if at all. Constant FOTMS being whined about, vast discrepancy between ranged and melee, terrible mechanics never fixed, anyone that touches the holy grail of bottom lane is immediately hit with nerfs, extremely small choice of items. Those item changes you said? Well they either get used until nerfed, or they overshadow every other option which really only makes you have one build choice, which is not variety at all.

Regarding new champs? Tell me the last champ that hasn't been overly useless or overly overpowered. If you truly believe that is balance, then none of you should even begin to talk shit about Dota. You guys should be consistent with your beliefs, because clearly the way you guys want things aligns with the ridiculous myths you have about Dota.

More or less what Erick said.

Let's keep in mind that many of the balance team, if not all of them, were involved, in some way or another, in the creation of the game's content. With their experiences in all the thought processes that have gone into the creation of the content, those "silver players" have a way better idea of what they're doing and what works and doesn't work than you, I, or some Challenger-tier bum ever will.

In other news:

These skins just keep getting better.

These aren't just silver players. These are balance designers. They know what they need to do and they have so much information than you do to make informed decisions on your account. The fact is, players don't know what they want or what they need. They get angry at balance changes because their favourite FOTM champion is getting nerfed and they don't understand the big picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

Edited by Infinix

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What? It's like we have no historical knowledge whatsoever. Dota is a MOBA. League is a MOBA. The concept is the exact same. League's creators came after creating Dota to try something "new".

And dynamic isn't necessarily better. In fact, in League's case, it has no longer been dynamic for the entirety of season 4. Patches once a month, with miniscule changes that barely shift the meta if at all. Constant FOTMS being whined about, vast discrepancy between ranged and melee, terrible mechanics never fixed, anyone that touches the holy grail of bottom lane is immediately hit with nerfs, extremely small choice of items. Those item changes you said? Well they either get used until nerfed, or they overshadow every other option which really only makes you have one build choice, which is not variety at all.

Regarding new champs? Tell me the last champ that hasn't been overly useless or overly overpowered. If you truly believe that is balance, then none of you should even begin to talk shit about Dota. You guys should be consistent with your beliefs, because clearly the way you guys want things aligns with the ridiculous myths you have about Dota.

Vel'koz, Lissandra

DOTA 2 IS RIDICULOUSLY IMBALANCED BASED ON WINRATES.

THIS IS NOT BALANCE:

http://dotabuff.com/heroes/winning

THIS IS BALANCE:

http://www.lolking.net/champions/

Notice how, in Dota 2, the highest winrate is almost TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT higher than the lowest winrate hero. That is absurd tbh.

Notice how, in League of Legends, the highest winrate is only FIFTEEN PERCENT higher than the lowest winrate champion. Ten percent less than what Dota boasts.

Now, the argument can be made that, in Dota everything is ridiculously imba so it is balanced. THIS =/= BALANCE.

Now, let's take a look at the League usage stats, shall we? Taking the last five champions released, this is what we get:

1.Champion 2. RP Cost 3. IP Cost 4. Popularity 5. Win Rate 6. Ban Rate 7. Meta 8. Released ▼

1. Braum

2. rp_logo.png975 3. ip_logo.png6300 4. 16.02% 5. 54.69% 6. 80.81% 7. Support 8. 5/12/2014

2. rp_logo.png975 3. ip_logo.png6300 4. 2.33% 5. 51.21% 6. 0.05% 7. Middle Lane 8. 2/27/2014

1. Yasuo

2. rp_logo.png975 3. ip_logo.png6300 4. 16.45% 5. 47.66% 6. 22.93% 7. Middle Lane 8. 12/13/2013

1. Jinx

2. rp_logo.png975 3. ip_logo.png6300 4. 21.88% 5. 51.56% 6. 0.05% 7. AD Carry 8. 10/10/2013

1. Lucian

2. rp_logo.png975 3. ip_logo.png6300 4. 34.14% 5. 51.43% 6. 2.29% 7. AD Carry 8. 8/22/2013

If we look at this, we can see every champion released has a winrate of nearly 50%. And all of the champions have been used in competitive play (outside of Braum because he is newly released). And of course every new champion is going to be either OP or UP depending on how the meta is at the moment they are released. The reason this occurs is because at the time of the release, no one has ever played the champion before and it takes some time to find their place in the meta. This is true in the case of Braum, no one has really found a way to counter him completely so he goes either banned or picked in every game. Such is the craze of a new champion being released.

It is true that I cannot speak much for the side of Dota, but just looking at the numbers it seems that the game is rather imba.

Edited by JellyMan

Battlefield is a FPS. Call of Duty is a FPS. The concept is the exact same. Doesn't mean that they're not two different beasts, with different people at the helm. CoD's historically had an issue with balancing shotguns, so why don't they take Battlefield's approach to them? Because what works for one may not work for the other, and you can't apply a one size fits all solution to an entire genre.

DOTA 2 IS RIDICULOUSLY IMBALANCED BASED ON WINRATES.

THIS IS NOT BALANCE:

http://dotabuff.com/heroes/winning

THIS IS BALANCE:

http://www.lolking.net/champions/

Notice how, in Dota 2, the highest winrate is almost TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT higher than the lowest winrate hero. That is absurd tbh.

Notice how, in League of Legends, the highest winrate is only FIFTEEN PERCENT higher than the lowest winrate champion. Ten percent less than what Dota boasts.

Now, the argument can be made that, in Dota everything is ridiculously imba so it is balanced. THIS =/= BALANCE.

Now, let's take a look at the League usage stats, shall we? Taking the last five champions released, this is what we get:

1.Champion 2. RP Cost 3. IP Cost 4. Popularity 5. Win Rate 6. Ban Rate 7. Meta 8. Released ▼

1. Braum

2. rp_logo.png975 3. ip_logo.png6300 4. 16.02% 5. 54.69% 6. 80.81% 7. Support 8. 5/12/2014

2. rp_logo.png975 3. ip_logo.png6300 4. 2.33% 5. 51.21% 6. 0.05% 7. Middle Lane 8. 2/27/2014

1. Yasuo

2. rp_logo.png975 3. ip_logo.png6300 4. 16.45% 5. 47.66% 6. 22.93% 7. Middle Lane 8. 12/13/2013

1. Jinx

2. rp_logo.png975 3. ip_logo.png6300 4. 21.88% 5. 51.56% 6. 0.05% 7. AD Carry 8. 10/10/2013

1. Lucian

2. rp_logo.png975 3. ip_logo.png6300 4. 34.14% 5. 51.43% 6. 2.29% 7. AD Carry 8. 8/22/2013

If we look at this, we can see every champion released has a winrate of nearly 50%. And all of the champions have been used in competitive play (outside of Braum because he is newly released). And of course every new champion is going to be either OP or UP depending on how the meta is at the moment they are released. The reason this occurs is because at the time of the release, no one has ever played the champion before and it takes some time to find their place in the meta. This is true in the case of Braum, no one has really found a way to counter him completely so he goes either banned or picked in every game. Such is the craze of a new champion being released.

It is true that I cannot speak much for the side of Dota, but just looking at the numbers it seems that the game is rather imba.

Then we realize that Dota 2 currently doesn't have the option to seperate casual play with ranked play. You cannot judge balance accurately if you mix it with casual play, especially if all you're doing is comparing win rates.

At least everyone in Dota has existent play rates though, which the same can't be said for League. If they were truly bad and underpowered, no one would play them in any queue.(ex: urgot, skarner, etc)

Edited by Infinix

so i just read about the new 4.10 nid changes and reading all the comments trying to justify nid's spears as non toxic to the game are kinda funny, i think the changes to her look really cool but i'm kind of confused why they lowered couger form's ratios

These aren't just silver players. These are balance designers. They know what they need to do and they have so much information than you do to make informed decisions on your account. The fact is, players don't know what they want or what they need. They get angry at balance changes because their favourite FOTM champion is getting nerfed and they don't understand the big picture.

Oh please, I see so many super random balance "tweaks", like a 20 reduction of base damage in a single ability of a champion, that just makes me scratch my head to wonder how the fuck they even thought of doing that, because it'll change absolutely nothing. Half of the time it looks like they haven't a clue what the hell they're doing in the first place.

>nidalee's broken, everyone agrees

>they nerf some of her AP kit

>give her an even more broken AD kit

>"balance"

cougar form is fine as it is considering the tradeback of being a squishy melee

why don't they just deal with the actual fucking problem with spears

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware your beliefs were numero uno around here. Can you at least respond to other people's opinions in a more respectful matter?

Like Neo already, said, just because two games are part of the same genre, doesn't mean they're exactly the same in concept and features; you don't see people claiming that Mario and Sonic are both platformers and therefore have no difference in idea between them.

I can definetely agree with some of your arguments; patch changes don't shift the meta at all, but that's because Riot tends to deal with problems in a more turtle-esque fashion, nerfing dominant champions in the meta instead of buffing ones that are more minor. Item choices tend to be unvaried because of this aswell; if there's just one kind of thing going on in the meta then there's usually only one kind of item to deal with it. People playing squishy mobile mages are gonna pick Athene's over Archangel's every godamn time because they're gonna be facing squishy mobile mages aswell, aside from the occasional Zed.

But, no offense, you sound ridiculously biased against some of the properties of LoL; care to give examples of these terrible mechanics? Champs that were "useless" (which I'd argue is an excessive term) on release? Only one I've seen like that in a long while is Quinn (and even then that's debatable). Anyone dominant in bot lane nerfed down immediately? Well, try telling that to every balanced-throughout-the-course-of-a-match AD carry (hi Lucian) and every support with crowd control and defensive capabilities (Leona, Braum, Thresh, Morgana).

The problem with league isn't that it's unbalanced, as every champion and item usually has strong potential and properties going for it, with the exception of low payoffs these days such as fuckin' Moonflair; it's more to do with how it refuses to crawl out of it's shell. Champions may be mostly balanced and items may all have the qualities but as long as league confines to one restricted meta there are items and champions that are going to see little to no use, competitive or not. Currently, the meta looks down on those with tradeoffs at certain points in the game, such as Veigar sucking early but being a holy terror the further the game goes on; this applies to Nasus and the like aswell. Veigar is a good champ in his own right but as long as the meta sticks to it's more approved roles then they're not going to see any use; it's the meta that's the problem, not the champions themselves. I'm not saying that every champion is balanced disregarding that factor (see Yasuo on-launch, current Sion, the nerfs that had to be applied to Kha'zix to stop him from devastating everyone), but they're not as ridiculously unbalanced as you say they are. I can't completely testify for dota's regard in balance, but the meta is a whole lot more free and varied there (if there even is one) and so it exposes the individual flaws and imbalances of each hero more, and that's why I'd argue DotA 2 is less balanced.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware your beliefs were numero uno around here. Can you at least respond to other people's opinions in a more respectful matter?

Like Neo already, said, just because two games are part of the same genre, doesn't mean they're exactly the same in concept and features; you don't see people claiming that Mario and Sonic are both platformers and therefore have no difference in idea between them.

I can definetely agree with some of your arguments; patch changes don't shift the meta at all, but that's because Riot tends to deal with problems in a more turtle-esque fashion, nerfing dominant champions in the meta instead of buffing ones that are more minor. Item choices tend to be unvaried because of this aswell; if there's just one kind of thing going on in the meta then there's usually only one kind of item to deal with it. People playing squishy mobile mages are gonna pick Athene's over Archangel's every godamn time because they're gonna be facing squishy mobile mages aswell, aside from the occasional Zed.

But, no offense, you sound ridiculously biased against some of the properties of LoL; care to give examples of these terrible mechanics? Champs that were "useless" (which I'd argue is an excessive term) on release? Only one I've seen like that in a long while is Quinn (and even then that's debatable). Anyone dominant in bot lane nerfed down immediately? Well, try telling that to every balanced-throughout-the-course-of-a-match AD carry (hi Lucian) and every support with crowd control and defensive capabilities (Leona, Braum, Thresh, Morgana).

The problem with league isn't that it's unbalanced, as every champion and item usually has strong potential and properties going for it, with the exception of low payoffs these days such as fuckin' Moonflair; it's more to do with how it refuses to crawl out of it's shell. Champions may be mostly balanced and items may all have the qualities but as long as league confines to one restricted meta there are items and champions that are going to see little to no use, competitive or not. Currently, the meta looks down on those with tradeoffs at certain points in the game, such as Veigar sucking early but being a holy terror the further the game goes on; this applies to Nasus and the like aswell. Veigar is a good champ in his own right but as long as the meta sticks to it's more approved roles then they're not going to see any use; it's the meta that's the problem, not the champions themselves. I'm not saying that every champion is balanced disregarding that factor (see Yasuo on-launch, current Sion, the nerfs that had to be applied to Kha'zix to stop him from devastating everyone), but they're not as ridiculously unbalanced as you say they are. I can't completely testify for dota's regard in balance, but the meta is a whole lot more free and varied there (if there even is one) and so it exposes the individual flaws and imbalances of each hero more, and that's why I'd argue DotA 2 is less balanced.

Regarding me being ridiculously biased, I stick to facts and logic, and not just go for a whine about X class circlejerk. Every class has or had a problem, such as assassins being forced to be way too overpowered or way too underpowered, or tanks being unkillable, bruisers mowing down everything, adcs dictating which team wins, resourceless being able to spam skills without any sort of management, etc. At least in Dota, everything is consistent, every class has the same opportunity as the other. There's no resourceless cancer, everyone uses the same resources, mana costs are universal(aka there's no sion level use of mana and then another champ using the mana costs of jax).

If League was consistent with their mechanics and everything, and items were not just stat sticks(although that's changing a little bit soon, I already see new items being introduced but still), if we had more than one meta to follow. I'm surely League would be much better. If every champ at least had some use, whether it be in competitive or casual, then at least you could say it's good design. I mean look at Leblanc(not that good of an example but still), low winrate in solo Q, high win rate in LCS, it at least has some uniqueness with her play style and such and such. If we had more of that and not just downright cases of Braum, Kassadin, Vi, Elise, and Urgot, then maybe, just maybe, I'll be satisfied with League balance.

That being said though, I'm not saying Dota must be better in every way, I could point you out the faults of Dota as well. I'm not saying that my words are on the same level of God either. What I'm saying is that at least Dota has this and this and we should learn from it and absorb the best ideas and apply to league instead of just shunning down Dota as an inferior game because "hurr durr it's not balanced". If you don't believe what I say, that's fine, but please don't spread lies and propaganda.

Regarding me being ridiculously biased, I stick to facts and logic, and not just go for a whine about X class circlejerk. Every class has or had a problem, such as assassins being forced to be way too overpowered or way too underpowered, or tanks being unkillable, bruisers mowing down everything, adcs dictating which team wins, resourceless being able to spam skills without any sort of management, etc. At least in Dota, everything is consistent, every class has the same opportunity as the other. There's no resourceless cancer, everyone uses the same resources, mana costs are universal(aka there's no sion level use of mana and then another champ using the mana costs of jax).

If League was consistent with their mechanics and everything, and items were not just stat sticks(although that's changing a little bit soon, I already see new items being introduced but still), if we had more than one meta to follow. I'm surely League would be much better. If every champ at least had some use, whether it be in competitive or casual, then at least you could say it's good design. I mean look at Leblanc(not that good of an example but still), low winrate in solo Q, high win rate in LCS, it at least has some uniqueness with her play style and such and such. If we had more of that and not just downright cases of Braum, Kassadin, Vi, Elise, and Urgot, then maybe, just maybe, I'll be satisfied with League balance.

That being said though, I'm not saying Dota must be better in every way, I could point you out the faults of Dota as well. I'm not saying that my words are on the same level of God either. What I'm saying is that at least Dota has this and this and we should learn from it and absorb the best ideas and apply to league instead of just shunning down Dota as an inferior game because "hurr durr it's not balanced". If you don't believe what I say, that's fine, but please don't spread lies and propaganda.

"If you don't believe what I say, that's fine, but please don't spread lies and propaganda."

I'm sorry, but disagreeing with your opinion means I have a different one and if that comes across as lies and propaganda to you, then... well, that's your problem.

And I'd absolutely LOVE to see your evidence proving that anything I've said implies that I'm heavily biased in favor of LoL, spewing forth hate of DotA and making incohesive arguments. Please differentiate between me implying the problem in LoL's balancing lying elsewhere and me arguing that LoL is the most balanced MOBA in the world and that DotA is a steaming mess.

And please actually respond in a more civilized manner instead of labeling my opinions as lies and slander and misinterpreting what I've said; if you don't, then I see no reason in continuing this hollow argument with you.

"If you don't believe what I say, that's fine, but please don't spread lies and propaganda."

I'm sorry, but disagreeing with your opinion means I have a different one and if that comes across as lies and propaganda to you, then... well, that's your problem.

And I'd absolutely LOVE to see your evidence proving that anything I've said implies that I'm heavily biased in favor of LoL, spewing forth hate of DotA and making incohesive arguments. Please differentiate between me implying the problem in LoL's balancing lying elsewhere and me arguing that LoL is the most balanced MOBA in the world and that DotA is a steaming mess.

And please actually respond in a more civilized manner instead of labeling my opinions as lies and slander and misinterpreting what I've said; if you don't, then I see no reason in continuing this hollow argument with you.

Civilized? You should be glad that I haven't called anyone names, like the average League of Legends player would. I have not claimed any personal attacks nor performed any type of hatred and discrimination.

Actually, what it seems like to me is that you guys are circlejerking against me for not being satisfied with League balance. I mean just look at that strawman.

When we look further into this, this doesn't seem like an argument at all. There can't be evidence proving X is better as this is entirely opinion based, and it's pretty clear that none of us are going to change our minds anyways. So let's just leave this as it is before this escalates even further.

ANYWAY, there's a new item called Essence Reaver. I wrote a piece on the LoL forums to convey just how much I love this item.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4585356

OH MY GOD

URGOTS MAY REJOICE AROUND THE WORLD AS THE BLESSINGS OF MORELLO HAVE FINALLY COME DOWN UPON US

excuse to blast that passive on all day

i kinda don't wanna see this in Talon's OR Jayce's hands tho

• Administrators

While I agree with the above post it's undeniable there's a lot of unsavory people in the LoL community; however, as suggested, you guys can leave that alone now especially because this is a LoL chat thread and not a comparison thread (especially when past experience shows those sorts of comparisons never end well) thanks <3

While I agree with the above post it's undeniable there's a lot of unsavory people in the LoL community; however, as suggested, you guys can leave that alone now especially because this is a LoL chat thread and not a comparison thread (especially when past experience shows those sorts of comparisons never end well) thanks <3

if you compare me to you in LoL terms we can see that I bathe in the dosh of dragons and barons while you squeal at the thought of wraiths

I wish I could understand what Roo is saying. But hey, I can understand Spanish so take a gander at this:

http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/es/news/community/community-events/la-grieta-del-invocador-stream-lunes-las-1900

Yep, they're live streaming the new Summoner's Rift today/tonight!

Translation:

"Surely you've seen the news. Our next big improvement to League of Legends is on the way: Summoner's Rift, the main attraction and home to countless battles, will receive a visual upgrade, complete with updated neutral monsters and various other details. "We've done a lot of work to assure that while theRift itself looks beautiful, it retains the spirit of the original map. We look forward to hearing your comments, questions and concerns in the coming months.

"To give you a better glimpse of the new map, we're going to hold a live stream at 19:00 CEST. You'll have a lot of questions about the map, and although we can't guarantee we'll be able to answer them all, but we'll do our best."

The stream will take place at 1 PM ET.

watch the the live stream here: http://twitch.tv/riotgamesES

Going to look for a VoD later today for those who missed it

And now, a PSA.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4591512

As I'm sure many of you are aware, drop hacking has become more prevalent of a problem in the recent times of League of Legends. Thanks to the thousands of losers who were far too lazy to rise up the ranks fairly, Riot recognized the signs of drop hacking and are now able to effectively take action against these hackers and dole out the appropriate punishment.

By the by, drop hacking is a term used to describe the act of using a third party software in order to hack into the game's servers and force everyone into the game to disconnect from the game. Naturally, as per Riot's game structure, this means that the game ends in a draw without stats being recorded. It's a software used in the face of certain defeat, and is a method notoriously abused by an alarming amount of losers across all game modes).

Even then, this guy had the nerve to claim innocence on the General Discussion board. If you'd like to see what happens, or if you appreciate a good dunk Riot-style, I suggest you learn from this guy's utter stupidity by checking out this thread.

It should go without saying, but don't drophack. You will be caught.

Thank you.

wookieecookie is the dunkmaster of GD.

also it's on page 6 if anyone is too lazy to find his post

I doubt that, he's yet to beat Tryndamere's dunk back in 2012. Once you do that, then you're the dunkmaster.

there's also a First Riot Post button which takes you to it too

But anyways yeah, I gather WookieeCookie is one of the most loved rioters (in terms of the community). He's got a lot of balls, too. He was the one that personally handled the XJ9 situation and has "commanded a lot of respect" (quoting some random dude from a while ago). Generally, whenever he comes onto the forums, it's to dunk some loser, either by explaining why he banned them to everyone, or personally post chat logs from Tribunal to make the person in question look like an idiot; which is why I always get a little giggly whenever I see his name in the Dev Tracker.

A bunch of randoms and I talked to him on PBE public chat back when I first got that funky privilege and he's a pretty chill dude. Just someone you want on your side.

i never knew the story behind the whole xj9 thing. all i heard was something about rage and there was a girl or something.

Well then.

the dude was a high-ass elo jungler, and was looking to turn pro, even going so far as to quit school to attempt a career in professional League of Legends.

Until the hammer got dropped, and all of his accounts (he was speculated to have about 30) were permabanned. His girlfriend's account was banned as well.

The guy chalked up some story on his personal pages, pointing fingers at Riot because "I was banned for absolutely no reason, it was my girlfriend that caused all the problems". Of course, the players rallied behind him and were all "fire Lyte" and crap like that, which caused a hectic shitstorm between the players and Riot...

until he came on.

WookieeCookie, the player behaviour specialist, coming in to tell everyone how it was.

We don't normally comment on issues like this. But since the player has decided to take it public as well as attempt to drag others down in the mud and start a witch hunt I will state all we have to say on the matter.

These accounts were permanently banned because the player behind them has been incredibly abusive to players within our community, in one unfortunate case very explicit death threats were made against another user.

In addition, this player has repeatedly stolen other players accounts after getting their log-in information. The player makes reference to another user who was permanently banned on the forums, however he fails to mention that the victim was only permanently banned after he compromised her forum account and spammed pornographic and other foul threads in order to get her account banned.

Let's make it clear here. This isn't your run of the mill account sharing incident. At one point, the player prevented a successful account recovery by purposely posing as the victim in our support site. It's clear to us that these acts were intentional and malicious on this player's part and as such we believe he has no place within our community.

We will not be reversing our decision in this matter and will not be allowing him back into the League of Legends community in any form.

Needless to say, XJ9 got #dunkt, and his girlfriend' account was unbanned, but it wasn't really done there. People started raising their pitchforks against Pikachu or Gem or whatever you wish to call his girlfriend (she allegedly had the shit elo boosted out of her) and publicly posting death threats on the forums, even doing the same to RiotJay (who frequently duoed with her).

Then in the midst of all that, some dude who went by Jason hacked an old Adjudicator (beta tester?) account and began hacking into the system and taking possession of people's accounts, often sending their accounts to other regions. He often sent Emails to the targets, showing the. Their personal information, as well as their purchase? history, with the message "Resist further and witness your downfall".

What made this really weird was he specifically targeting people on the forums who were calling for the ban on XJ9's girlfriend. Of course, this only further fuelled conspiracy theories that it was XJ9 behind the hack but no one's confirmed or denied that.

Eventually Riot updated their security and forced everyone to change their passwords, which essentially screwed the hacker over and finally let the situation rest after about five months.

TL;DR:

It was a shitshow.

EDIT: Summoner's Rift VU: English stream today @ 1:30 PM ET

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/features/watch-sr-livestream-6/11-1030am-pdt