Rebalancing Pokemon base stats

Greetings!

A week ago I found out that Pokémon Reborn exists. I started playing Reborn Hardcore, and it's awesome. The official main series games are just way too easy if you know the first thing about competitive battling. 

There is one thing about Pokémon battling that has always frustrated me though: some Pokémon are just not good enough to be competitive. They have a low base stat total or a suboptimal stat distribution that leaves them outclassed by others. Rapidash for example is completely outclassed by Infernape. There is also some power creep going on: the average BST of fully evolved Pokémon in gens I-III is ~460, while in gen IV-VI it's ~495. A shame, because for nostalgic folks like me the original Pokémon are way cooler. Wouldn't it be nice if base stats were more fairly distributed?

With the potential for modding in Reborn, it might just be possible to make a mod that rebalances Pokémon base stats. That's a project I would love to get started with. Playing with numbers is one of my hobbies (no really). So, is there any interested in such a mod, or would it be considered blasphemy?

7 minutes ago, Delta of Isaire said:

Greetings!

A week ago I found out that Pokémon Reborn exists. I started playing Reborn Hardcore, and it's awesome. The official main series games are just way too easy if you know the first thing about competitive battling. 

There is one thing about Pokémon battling that has always frustrated me though: some Pokémon are just not good enough to be competitive. They have a low base stat total or a suboptimal stat distribution that leaves them outclassed by others. Rapidash for example is completely outclassed by Infernape. There is also some power creep going on: the average BST of fully evolved Pokémon in gens I-III is ~460, while in gen IV-VI it's ~495. A shame, because for nostalgic folks like me the original Pokémon are way cooler. Wouldn't it be nice if base stats were more fairly distributed?

With the potential for modding in Reborn, it might just be possible to make a mod that rebalances Pokémon base stats. That's a project I would love to get started with. Playing with numbers is one of my hobbies (no really). So, is there any interested in such a mod, or would it be considered blasphemy?

Well,welcome to reborn.

Also check this topic:

This seems like what you are looking for,I think.
Edit: I don't think it would be a problem because many of them are permitted.For example hardcore,extreme,PR menu mod and more.But you should still ask Ame.

Edited by Yagami

Welcome to Reborn, Delta!

I rather agree with you that old mons' BST are too low compared to new ones'. Or rather, new ones have too high BST on average. Game Freak can't keep going with this forever. In a few gens, normal mons will have higher BST than gen1-3 legendaries :P

To their credit, they did increase the BST of a couple mons over the generations. Golem is an example among many. But these changes are too weak (usually just a 10 points increase in one stat) and too few and far between to really make old mons more viable. It would be nice if they either stopped this power escalation and/or gave old mons a proper buff.

There are Hardcore and Extreme mods for Pokémon Reborn, but Reborn sticks closely to the canon games as far as balancing is concerned. But if you're looking for a re-balanced project that gives old Pokémon better unique identities through better base stats, movepools, abilities, and even evolutions (like for corsola, dunsparce, sudowoodo, etc.), while maintaining the Reborn-style of gameplay and story, then the only game in development right now that's doing that is Pokémon Empire. They're still in development, but they're taking an approach like the one you're talking about. Here's the link to the thread in case you're interested:

Reborn EXTREME is a little too extreme :P.

Pokémon Empire is very interesting, but changing moves/abilities and introducing new Pokémon is a little too much for my taste. I want to stick as close to canon as possible, while making a wider variety of Pokémon competitive for battling. 

Also, some Pokémon like Furret or Dedenne were never meant to compete with fully evolved mons. They shine in the early-midgame at levels 15-35 instead. Others like Kangaskhan and bouffalant may not have evolutions, but they are a lot stronger than most unevolved mons. I think the likes of Corsola and Magcargo should be buffed to be similar to that, instead of giving them new evolutions.

I don't really know If you have ever played those but, you could always do something along the lines of Blaze Black and Volt White. Buffing the base stats of >465 BST pokémon and revamping their movepools and maybe abilities. For pokémon with base stats above 465, you could always rework their stats and only add more points on those that would really need it.  Depending on your sense of balance, it could really make a new run of reborn pretty interesting once ep 17 comes out, since even some gen VII mons could really benefit from something like that. Keep in mind, however, that many of those pokémon are available to us pretty soon and  easily, so those changes could really damage the challenging essence of reborn, which would be kind of lame.