What is your Favorite Video-Game?

Tartar

7 minutes ago, Tartar said:

I think it's more about my standards for what I consider to be a favorite being too high. I've watched around 200 animes, and consider 2 to be all time favorites. I've read +500 books and likewise consider only 3 to by all time favorites. I've read +40 mangas and only consider 1 to be truly great. 

And after having played the majority of the Final Fantasy series, all of Fire Emblem, Kingdom Hearts, Valkyria Chronicles, Pokémon, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton series, Xenoblade, several LoZ games, Persona/Shin Megami Tensei, and Tales of games. And the majority of NES, SNES, GBA, PS2 classics + most other worthwhile Nintendo games. In additional to playing hundreds of hours of online games such as League of Legends, Starcraft, World of Warcraft and ton of other obscure things from my collection of 300'ish Steam games. 

Out of all the game series mentioned in this thread, I've completed all but 6 currently mentioned (mostly the PS3 games mentioned by Godot)

So I'll let you decide whether I haven't played very many games.

If we were to talk about standout games which I consider good, and found to be enjoyable to play through, I can mention dozens. But not something I consider favorites. Since my definition of a favorite is something that has impacted me, my way of thinking in a major way. 

How much time did you spend doing all of those? That list was very large ..... it's hard to believe you were able to complete everything mentioned and many other unmentioned.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Divergent said:

How much time did you spend doing all of those? That list was very large ..... it's hard to believe you were able to complete everything mentioned and many other unmentioned.

I've been gaming since I was 7... So I've had a lot of time to play them, and considering I play daily for 1-2 hours and sometimes more on the weekends, I often complete a few larger games a month and also some smaller ones. 

I also actively go out of my way to try new games, which is why I've played so many different genres. 

10 hours ago, Tartar said:

I think it's more about my standards for what I consider to be a favorite being too high. I've watched around 200 animes, and consider 2 to be all time favorites. I've read +500 books and likewise consider only 3 to by all time favorites. I've read +40 mangas and only consider 1 to be truly great. 

And after having played the majority of the Final Fantasy series, all of Fire Emblem, Kingdom Hearts, Valkyria Chronicles, Pokémon, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton series, Xenoblade, several LoZ games, Persona/Shin Megami Tensei, and Tales of games. And the majority of NES, SNES, GBA, PS2 classics + most other worthwhile Nintendo games. In additional to playing hundreds of hours of online games such as League of Legends, Starcraft, World of Warcraft and ton of other obscure things from my collection of 300'ish Steam games. 

Out of all the game series mentioned in this thread, I've completed all but 6 currently mentioned (mostly the PS3 games mentioned by Godot)

So I'll let you decide whether I haven't played very many games.

If we were to talk about standout games which I consider good, and found to be enjoyable to play through, I can mention dozens. But not something I consider favorites. Since my definition of a favorite is something that has impacted me, my way of thinking in a major way. 

9 hours ago, Tartar said:

I've been gaming since I was 7... So I've had a lot of time to play them, and considering I play daily for 1-2 hours and sometimes more on the weekends, I often complete a few larger games a month and also some smaller ones. 

I also actively go out of my way to try new games, which is why I've played so many different genres. 

Most of those game you mentioned were JRPG or Puzzle Games.  though all cool, they are still all part of the same genre.  One thing about me is that I have stupidly diverse tastes.  When I play a Fighting Game I literally try to learn every character at a semi competitive level with a couple favorites being Super Smash Bros (roster of 58) and Marvel vs. Capcom (roster of 50).  I learned how to use nearly every hero in Overwatch and Battleborn.  I also am a pretty good shot in most shooter games.  I played and beat a lot of the games you mentioned.  Can play Devil May Cry, God of War, and Bayonetta on Dante Must Die, God Mode, and Infinite Climax difficulty.  I beat most of the Nintendo, Capcom, and Sony Mascot franchise games.  and I currently own 22 platinum trophies and am still working on 10+ more.

I also also have been gaming as long as I remember and owned the original NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBA, GCN, DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U, PSX, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PS Vita, Xbox 360, the Game Gear, and Now the Switch.  I am just not a PC gaming person, and not a huge fan of Indie titles, though some stuck out to me.  (my personal favorite is Guacamelee.)  And on most of the consoles I mentioned I played (and probably beat) the most noteworthy games of all those consoles.  The fact that I can cut down my list of favorites to what I did, is a surprise within itself.  Those games all made a huge impact on me.  Not counting the games that I didn't mention that also left an impact on me that I wouldn't consider the greatest or one of my favorites.

One Example is the Sonic Adventure 2 soundtrack, it's in my opinion one of the greatest soundtracks in all of gaming in my opinion, but I personally think the game is overrated and really bad.  Dat Muzik though.

Last thing is that my standards are far from low.  I actually am really critical AF and even get bagged on by people in this community as well as outside communities (online or not) like crazy for not liking what they like or saying that a game they love is good but not as good as so-so.  Though I don't shoot down everyone, I usually keep my mouth shut.  I am also the type of person who can play a game or watch a movie/tv show and notice musical queues. good writing, cinematography, motifs, and more.  A lot of those things even trigger me a bit.

@Godot I think it's awesome that you've played so many games, and if you can find enjoyment from so much stuff, then that's all the better. People enjoy things differently, and that's something to be embraced and cherished. 

On 3/5/2017 at 2:38 PM, Tartar said:

@Godot I think it's awesome that you've played so many games, and if you can find enjoyment from so much stuff, then that's all the better. People enjoy things differently, and that's something to be embraced and cherished. 

That's kind of the point. There are so many good games out there with so many different things that are great about them. Picking a single one out of them is like asking a parent to choose their favorite child. It isn't that the standard is low so much as so many games deserve recognition and praise.

Honestly, if you (or someone else) say you watched watched 200+ anime series, your standards are too low. Or you watched way too much because you had way too much time on your hands. A discerning watcher just doesn't watch that much crap to the end. How many of those 200 were worth the time spent on them? Every season, I look at so many synopses and pilot episodes and I have to ask why people think this is particularly interesting or cool. I only have so much time and attention to pay to anything. It has to be worth my while to continue it. I really can't fathom how one can claim to watch or play so much stuff (assuming to completion?) and still claim to have standards.

I too have been gaming since I was 7 yo, if not before. Certainly my allowance at least meant I had to be selective in my gaming choice. And truly, I've never been as disappointed as I am nowadays when I have the cash to drop on games I wouldn't have if I were still on a small, strict allowance that required me to do a lot of research on potential buys. And you have to recognize that I'm 30 now, with more systems under my belt than Godot.

I've always been and always will be critical of the movies I watch and the games I play. And that means being able to appreciate when things are done artfully.

4 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Honestly, if you (or someone else) say you watched watched 200+ anime series, your standards are too low. Or you watched way too much because you had way too much time on your hands. A discerning watcher just doesn't watch that much crap to the end. How many of those 200 were worth the time spent on them?

While 200 series may seem like a lot, it's only around 2000 hours of watchtime, or approximately 40 minutes of watch time a day for the past ten years. 

I don't keep track of things I've dropped. I love anime, games, books. And if I don't enjoy something, I don't hesitate in dropping it.  You're right in this regard, as there are too many good and interesting thing out there to bother with the mediocre. I would say 80% of all things I watch, is time well spent. A higher percentage than games I've played. 

And could you please explain your question once more. I don't exaclty understand the question in this point

I really can't fathom how one can claim to watch or play so much stuff (assuming to completion?) and still claim to have standards.

Do you say that I have low standards for what I play to completion?  Or something else entirely?

• Support Squad

I'm with Mael on this, I can't rightfully say I have one definitive favourite. The first among equals I suppose, this one always comes to mind because of the sheer emotional impact of the finale, would be Persona 3 FES. I did not expect this random purchase from PSN to consume so much of my life and manipulate my teeny lil heart. Other standouts are the entire KH franchise, Elder Scrolls IV and V, XCOM,  League of Legends (see how each of these are incredibly different and offer different things as products?), YGO GX Tag Force, To The Moon, VA-11 Hall-A, Stardew Valley, the bioshock games, Thomas was alone and so on and so forth.

To be honest, I don't play video games as much as I used to (Or enjoy it?) 

There was a time in my life when I was very young. I woke up and played video games with no worries about school or work lol!

I didn't really have a favorite game but The Sims was probably the only game I've played for years. Starting with The Sims 1 (I was like 9 when my dad brought it for me) and played it until The Sims 4 (Which I didn't like)

I enjoyed that game a lot but I really wouldn't name it my favorite. The game I consider my favorite is probably Spyro. There is too much heart and soul in that game.

Edited by Rainlove

4 hours ago, FraRPetO said:

My absolute favourite gotta be Metal Gear Online 2.

I have a lot of games that I really like, though.

Man I really wish I got to at least try that game out.

The newest Metal Gear Online was pretty disappointing for me.

8 hours ago, Rainlove said:

To be honest, I don't play video games as much as I used to (Or enjoy it?) 

That's actually quite interesting. For me, video games have always been a distraction. But as of late, I can't seem to focus on any video game no matter how hard I try. I just end up getting distracted and clicking through the internet, reading through articles. (Or I spam the Skype accounts of other people that I know, because apparently I'm really desperate for some interactions with them. It's unusual for me to be talkative.) Is that what aging does to you? x) 'Cause if it is, I don't want to get any older. Never thought I'd be able to "get sick of games".

6 hours ago, 5hift said:

Man I really wish I got to at least try that game out.

The newest Metal Gear Online was pretty disappointing for me.

Yeah. MGO3 was garbage.

Check this out: https://savemgo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=255

They've worked hard to bring it back and they're finally there. MGO2 is back!

On 3/7/2017 at 7:43 PM, Inactivity said:

Never thought I'd be able to "get sick of games".

Definitely depends on the genre of games you've been playing. Some are really easy to burn out on. Platformers, for one, end up feeling samey after a short while. And then there's the LoZ and mario games, which are all pretty similar. I still play lots of shooters but I don't bother with Battlefield or CoD anymore. Every Tales of Game is pretty much the same and I'm not the biggest fan of their combat system either.