FE Heroes Friend ID and Discussion Topic

Maelstrom

Xander's battle is horribly disappointing.

1. No Knights on his map. He's the only physically bulky unit in attendance.

2. The map would have been tougher if the magic cavalier was blue instead of green - as any distant counter red sword unit - even Ike, who is allergic to mages - can easily clear the right flank at the start of the match with dance support. Since both Ryoma and Ike are focuses at the moment this is easy to pull off. (Ike does get Sbreaker for the swordsman though - so maybe I'm being too hard here.)

3. Xander's speed is glaringly apparent as an enemy. He couldn't double my Hector - and thus I wasn't forced to restart. I do have a +Speed Hector though.

Two battles. Two Xanders.

---

I don't like the banner either.

- Linde is probably the best pull, but she was going to be in the female mages banner soon. This is IntSys trying to have everyone's wallet perpetually open.

- Chrom is the "high profile" pull to me. But if they wanted to go sword - this was an opportunity to go Male Corrin. Maybe Chrom is better on this map? I am not sold on the explanation regarding Falchion though.

- Cordelia is fair enough

- Arthur??? I guess you were wrong Xander. Justice isn't an illusion at all. He's (Arthur) only useful against the Lance Fighter, and in danger of getting destroyed by Xander due to positioning. I guess this is the "should be helpful but isn't" pull.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Support Squad

Js i think the green mage is there to stop someone like Reinhardt or Olwen going in and nuking the sword mage in a position where no one else can touch them. That sword guy would be invalidated otherwise. Really you can't blame the map for Ike being stupid strong. Ryoma also wouldn't really have the health to survive Xander, mage and lance user.

Ooooh. Okay. Yeah. That makes sense. I just think the current banners mitigated that flank's purpose is all. Ryoma's real problem on the Lunatic map is the HP spike of all the units on the map. He handles the green Cav, but the sword is much beefier and has some better def, forcing Ryoma to Astra him on the next turn and allowing the lancer of Xander to catch him.

Yeah. Ike is stupid good. 

• Support Squad

The sword guy was the worst for me because I kept trying to hold him off and that let him charge Ignis, with Quick riposte he also put out a lot of damage early so it was too risky to fight him outright at the start lest the other units follow up and murder. Which is why that green was important to fuck people over and keep him in the map..

I just followed Mkv's vid and used Zaph, Olivia, Ursula and Cecelia. Zaphiel with Wary fighter pretty much tanks Xander and the Green Tome, but unless you're using the 4* you'll need HP +3. Ursula just kills Xander while having Olivia and Zaphiel kill the Green tome and block both flanks (the healer went infront of the lance).

Tharja and Ephraim can duo this map. will write more when I come back.

also, that battle banner is trash.

edit:

first of all, gratz chase on getting Azura!

second, my team for Xander was Ephraim with Swap/QR 2/Threaten Def, Tharja w/ reposition/darting/desperation/threaten speed 2, Olivia with Hone Speed 2 (shoulda been attack), and literally any unit with fortify res+reposition. Tharja killed the sword with Olivia's help, Niles Repo'd Olivia back to safety, Green Horse suicided onto Tharja, moved Ephraim into the chokepoint, QR murderized Xander and the lance, Tharja helped kill the lance and then the cleric.

For me, personally, this was the easiest GHB yet!

I'm also having uncharacteristic success in arena: 3 matches on Adv, no deaths so far. Team is Ephraim/Tharja/Olivia/Anna, basic idea is to buff Tharj to high heaven and then go ham, I've prolly told you about it before. I'm really glad that Anna looks to be a regular in the rotation; my investment in her will be well rewarded.

My Xan build's gonna be Repo/Fury/Vantage/Hone Cav, so excited!

but now I really have no idea what to spend feathers on. get Xander to 5*? 5* a Barst to make Frederick into a killing machine? Get Ursula to five stars? Get Anna to five stars for Noatun and more SP?

god, I love this game.

Edited by doombotmecha

12 hours ago, Combat said:

I just beat Xander with my team and got him as a three star, and I'm not even going to attempt to do it on the hardest difficulty. His stage advantage is pretty nasty.

Now my real question, is how the heck does Wings of Mercy work? The internet seems adamant that it's a good thing to give Azura, but I still don't know how to activate it.

Yeah, when you hold onto your unit for movement, there will blue movement squares next to your injured ally where you can put your unit. There's no manual activation, you just get to place 'em there.

@doombotmecha

Thanks squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It's...it's mostly trash. Arthur being available as a five star unit means that Lancebreaker 3 is now easier to get, and Linde is a scary good unit. I just really think it should have been something like this.

- Corrin (Male)

- Ephraim

- Raigh

- Oboro/Corrinne/Elise

The lesson learned is that minions matter when it comes to selecting who to put on a banner (Arthur) and that story correlation doesn't matter so much.

In hindsight, if you don't already have Cordelia, getting Cordelia (who DESTROYS Xander with TA and Brave lance) and Linde just by pulling blues is a pretty great haul. It's just...World of Radiance and Hero Fest banners are up at the same time, and Ike and Azura are just as influential at beating Xander as the banner is - and if you're like me, your wallet is still hurting from those banners to want to cough up more just to hunt blue stones.

---

Xander

Weapon: Siegfried (Sword, Mt:16) - Built in Distant Counter (THIS is why you should get Xander to 5* stars, as it makes him much easier to train) **Xander (5*)**

Command Skill: Reposition - Moves your allies around (Godly skill) **Barst,Selena**

Proc Skill: Moonbow/Bonfire (Procs reliably for 30% increased damage/Damage is increased somehow with your defense stat) **Palla,Odin/Robin, A!Tiki**

A: Attack+3/Fury/Death Blow (Boosts Attack by 3/Boosts all stats in exchange for HP loss each turn/boosts attack when initiating combat (2-6) **Cherche/Hinata/Klein,Effie**

B: Quick Riposte/Vantage/Brash Assault (Automatic counterattack above a certain HP threshold/Automatic counterattack below a certain HP threshold/automatic follow-up attack when below a certain HP threshold and opposing unit has the ability to counter) **Subaki,Klein/Lon'qu/Bartre**

C: Threaten Defense/[something something Cavalry] (Threatens defense depending on skill's proficiency (2-4)/PONY EMBLEM BOIS) **Peri/!**

Seal: Attack+1

! = Horse Emblem Cavaliers

Eliwood/Olwen: Ward Cav

Jagen: Fortify Cav

Gunter: Hone Cav

Reinhardt: Goad Cav

Xander is one of those units that has a TON of versatility. His kit gives him Armored Blow (Defense boosted when initiating combat (2-6) and points to him being a player phase unit, but being essentially Hector or Ike on horseback, the Siegfried dares the opposing forces to attack him. Going with Attack +3 allows for either or, while Fury essentially points to Enemy Phase and Death Blow only works on Player Phase. The B skills work similarly. Any distant counter unit wants Quick Riposte, while Vantage takes effect when a unit's HP has fallen a bit. Brash Assault requires a unit to be initiating combat and functions like a brave weapon - which Xander would like due to his low speed if he's going offensive. He's a great user of Reposition (and it's just a great skill on high move units) - and he actually gets more wins head-to-head with Moonbow as his proc skill over Bonfire, but of course, Xander likes the ability to get great offensive power, so both proc skills are good. I highly recommend getting Xander Threaten Def even if you only plan on using him for Horse Emblem teams. In the event that you want to build him around other units, such as Minerva and Azura, Threaten Def is more beneficial for non-Cavaliers.

Are there any units that wouldn't mind being below 50% for Brash Assault? I mean the only one's I can think of that could use it are the Easter units due to the self-sustain and Defiant Res/Def units.

EDIT: I kinda wish Moonbow wasn't the most popular Special, like I get it low CD and ignores def/res, but it seems like a waste I guess to not see other specials like Sol, and Aegis? Idk it's probably just me.

Edited by Fabled Asian

Yeah, yeah you Min-max nerds can try perfecting it but if you guys are a little bit on a budget you can use a set like this to make full use of Xander.

Weapon: Siegfried

Support: Reposition/Swap (Save your Pivots for Armors)

Special: Bonfire/Luna

A: HP +5/Def +3/Armored Blow

B: Quick Riposte 2 (This is a must on him)

C: Threaten Def/Threaten Atk

So what exactly does this set do? Basically it makes sure of Xander's utilities of being a tank with dual range. Since Bonfire is a very hard skill to find and part with (Male Robin and A!Tiki don't appear every single day), Luna is a good substitute. DO NOT GIVE HIM MOONBOW! I want to say that since he will be doubled by almost everything with his great speed of 24. Luna is going to proc and it'll hit harder than Moonbow. Anyways, +3 def from doing my calcs really isn't a bad idea as it cuts down damage (which he's going to be hit a lot) and let's him live a neutral Cain hitting him 4 times with a brave lance. Lucina also only does 22 damage despite her massive 50 atk. If you train him, he'll be great for defense chapters especially with forts coming where he can just sit on them and let a healer behind him heal him back up to full. Just keep him far, far away from mages that double him. Far, far away. I'm thinking about using him for myself once I get enough feathers.

The reason Moonbow is so good in Arena is the nature of the game's battling. Matches go by too fast to proc things at times. It's better than a lot of prominent Fire Emblem skills in the way that it is almost always going off. It's so good, that even supporting units like Azura become risky targets.

Sol can still find use on even defense units because damages seem unavoidable. You just might want a Killer weapon or something on hand to make sure it goes off more than twice a match.

Xander may also really like Ignis. However. It's also got a somewhat large cool down. He also is a good candidate for Brash Assault because he is beefy and could run things - as other units can - like Reciprocal Aid or Ardent Sacrifice to get his HP down to that point without dying or risking it. Passive healers make good use out of Brash Assault. Especially if they are slower.

@Commander

Abel? Cain is a sword cavalier. His brother and other Christmas Knight, Abel, wields a lance. That being said, I'm not remembering if it's a brace lance or not.

@Chase Well yeah I get that builds are usually geared towards Arena, but I guess what I'm trying to say is I wish it was nerfed like 1 additional tick to it and Luna or buffs to other Specials have people change up their strats. I guess I'm just complaining about nothing really since I don't have to follow anyone's build.

I wish Moonbow didn't exist personally. And I really like watching Azura make heads roll with it. It probably does proc a mite too often. There are a few different things out there. It's just narrowed by unit type.

1. Fast melee units generally have the most leeway with proc skills and run Moonbow because overkill doubling makes for a ton a matchup wins.

2. Slow melee units generally go Luna as Commander offered (I suggested Moonbow because Xander will always at least counter thanks to Siegfried and QR/BA negates issues from speed due to increasing Xander's actions per turn.)

3. Ike - thanks to heavy blade - is able to run Aether.

4. Takumi and Tharja can work with Vengeance (though the latter doesn't want to lean on it.)

5. Defensive procs (Aeg/Pav) actually proc a lot. But they are not very fun.

6. Sol works on beefier lords and the like - but matches at the moment are too short and Arena matches especially are so (at least. The ones I've done are...) This very well could change.

@Chase Pay no heed to me as I generally like to save skills for units who really need them (and I only have two Moonbows left and one's going to Minerva and the other to...Maybe Tiki. Well Y!Tiki needs something. Meanwhile Reinhardt can keep his AoE as he's overkill anyways).

I just prefer Luna as I'm aware most units are going to double him and the ones that don't I have plenty of units who can snipe and finish them off. That then lets Xander get one very, very heavy shot on something I need to die. I understand why people like Moonbow so much but it's not that the skill is super good, but more like some easy 4-5 chip damage with lets them KO 2-3 units they wouldn't normally ORKO be KO'd. The special skill is often the least important skill on a unit anways unless it's a tank then those damage reducers are a godsend.

Sol is uhhh...bad tbh. Raven is about the only good user for it mostly because of threaten def, but when he can activate it, half the time the enemy is almost dead making it a waste (since if he does 28 damage to an enemy with 4HP, he only gains 2 HP back).

@Fabled Asian Best advice I can give you about skill inheritance: use suggested sets as a guideline, not an absolute. Sacking your only Hector onto Zephiel when you don't have very many 5 stars is gonna lead to you still struggling. Just get a feel for the skills and what unit comes with those skills so that you can give ones that are absolutely necessary for a character (honestly QR is the only vital skill for Xander) and try to fill in the holes from there. I don't know if Arena feathers are disappearing, but a new game feature coming uses Permadeath (you only lose units in that feature). If you only have 4-6 units and some bad matchups happen...yeah...so take my advice and build an army before making them the strongest possible.

12 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Yeah, when you hold onto your unit for movement, there will blue movement squares next to your injured ally where you can put your unit. There's no manual activation, you just get to place 'em there.

Thanks. After using it for the first time, I can see how it would be really useful, especially for a Singer like Azura.

Maaaaaaaaaaaan. I pull on the Xander banner after getting 5 free orbs.

5* Lind-NO.

It just had to be Cordelia. At least I can give someone Triangle Adept now. It would probably be a blue unit of some kind.

On second thought: Camilla probably would like Triangle Adept if she wants to keep Brave. She essentially is trading more Quads with Darting Blow for more damage against Blues. She can laugh off blue mages with it and her good Res....

Hmm....

1 hour ago, Fabled Asian said:

I have yet to pull a 5 star from the Hero banner after 40 orbs, hopefully I can get something with my next 20 with the quests.

You and me both.

My friend who pulled Azura and Ryoma pulled another Ryoma...

Wasn't Xander supposed to have Vantage or something? I'm thoroughly disappointed that he doesn't.

Edited by 5hift

Man everyone loves QR on this guy, I've just got Bonfire/Vantage/Hone Cav and I'm waiting on pulling fury. I really don't want to just make another Ephraim.

Speaking of which, I've realized that I really need Fortify Defense on this guy, for maximum support-tank potential. not totally sure yet, though; Threaten Def gets me a lot of extra damage vs. armored foes.

DBM, your Ephraim has Distant Counter?

The main reason people run QR over Vantage is because Vantage needs Xander to lose HP before it procs - and because it allows slow units with distant counters (Ike, Hector, Xander) to threaten mages (that otherwise really fry those no Res slowpokes) IMMEDIATELY. Vantage does the same job - but you may need to let Xander take damage or run Aid/Sacrifice over Reposition to safely get Xander to Vantage range. It takes more work.

Now that I think about it Xander would be much better to have other Corrin-M, I would have someone to deal with pesky Julias and Ninos without needing a Tharja or whatever. I kinda want to use Eirika as well, but I suppose she can wait.

Yeah I know Xander is more than likely going to die right after I try to bait one of those green tomes, but it'll be worth when I get to keep my Nowi and Robin.

Question is, Vantage or QR

-I have 2 Lon Qu and 1 Reinhardts who can pass Vantage 3

-I would only get QR2 from Subaki

I mean if Hector doesn't mind QR2 then I guess no one would.

Edited by Fabled Asian

I hate Subaki. Quick Riposte. Subaki doesn't deserve to be in anyone's Heroes army. Nobody needs that negativity in their life.

How do people run Tharja? I haven't messed with her base kit much.

Out of curiosity, how may of people here have spent money on Heroes? I could see someone maybe buying a few orbs, but I'd be interested in how many people have.

I haven't bought any ever, since the pricing is kind of terrible. If you wanted to do one full round of summoning, you'd need to pay about thirteen dollars. Five potentially three star heroes doesn't strike me as a thirteen dollar game, but I'd be interested in other peoples opinions.