Poison Mono-Type

Optimus Septim

Hi everyone,
it is been a while since I last posted here, because of work and illness.
But now I am back. ;)

So I decided to start another Reborn run today, but with the restriction of only poison-types (dual-types are okay since it is my first mono-run ^^).
I have already chosen Bulbasaur as a starter and caught an Ekans. Important ones right at the start are for me Gulpin and Trubbish.

But my question is, what to do further, any suggestions from you guys? :)

From my experience doing an Ice-Mono:

Look up what Pokemon of your chosen type you can get and try to get as many of them as possible, especially those with dual-typings.

All mono runs assume that at least one of the dual-typings is the type of choice, so unless you're doing an extra challenge run, you should be fine.

You might need to use special tactics against trainers whose typing beats yours (In my case, Kiki and Charlotte). Don't be afraid to experiment.

Try to figure out the opponent's teams, especially gym leaders, and prepare appropriate counters. This goes double for teams that beat your type.

From my experience doing an Ice-Mono:

Look up what Pokemon of your chosen type you can get and try to get as many of them as possible, especially those with dual-typings.

All mono runs assume that at least one of the dual-typings is the type of choice, so unless you're doing an extra challenge run, you should be fine.

You might need to use special tactics against trainers whose typing beats yours (In my case, Kiki and Charlotte). Don't be afraid to experiment.

Try to figure out the opponent's teams, especially gym leaders, and prepare appropriate counters. This goes double for teams that beat your type.

Thank you for these essential tips Anstane. A extra challenge run would be too much for the first mono-run.

As I think of now, Radomus has potential for a nightmare. ^^

EDIT: I just remembered the Mewtwo fight before Terra ... oh god, why? :blink:

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14182

Read, memorize it's contents, don't forget to use cheese to win your battles, focus on the strengths of your pokemon.

Cronos, thank you very much for that guide, that is the holy grail I am looking for. ;)

Edited by Optimus Septim

Ah, Radomus is a perfect example of where you need to prepare. Yes, Poison is weak to Psychic. However, there are a few Poison/Dark types out there, handily nullifying the weakness. In fact, the Poison-typing also covers for Dark's weakness to Fighting, which Radomus has a few of (Superpower on Contrary Malamar and Close Combat on Gallade). Furthermore, keep a Nido in reserve for his Metagross.

Also take advantage of the fact that, despite Radomus' team being built to abuse Trick Room (Which is to say, everyone's super slow), he won't actually use it in most cases. Take advantage of that.

This is just one specific example. There are plenty of strategies you can use, and you'll need to use for the various leaders you'll face.

Ah, Radomus is a perfect example of where you need to prepare. Yes, Poison is weak to Psychic. However, there are a few Poison/Dark types out there, handily nullifying the weakness. In fact, the Poison-typing also covers for Dark's weakness to Fighting, which Radomus has a few of (Superpower on Contrary Malamar and Close Combat on Gallade). Furthermore, keep a Nido in reserve for his Metagross.

Also take advantage of the fact that, despite Radomus' team being built to abuse Trick Room (Which is to say, everyone's super slow), he won't actually use it in most cases. Take advantage of that.

This is just one specific example. There are plenty of strategies you can use, and you'll need to use for the various leaders you'll face.

A Stunky would therefore a good option to catch early.

I did not know that his team is built around that, as I can remember he never used it in my runs.

But this specific one sounds very good. :)

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19231

This thread should be a huge help in preparing for the battles as well as singling out specific threats.

Oh, and one more thing: Don't be afraid to try and at least scout out the battles. Sometimes you might be surprised (Like when I tried Samson on my run kind of a "Let's see how far I get and see how it goes" run. I proceeded to defeat him on my first attempt.)

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19231

This thread should be a huge help in preparing for the battles as well as singling out specific threats.

Oh, and one more thing: Don't be afraid to try and at least scout out the battles. Sometimes you might be surprised (Like when I tried Samson on my run kind of a "Let's see how far I get and see how it goes" run. I proceeded to defeat him on my first attempt.)

Thanks for that, too.

That was my kind of tactics when i first went to the Pokemon League back in 1st Gen. After training I tested out how far I would come without using healing items, which is pretty much the same kind of scouting. ^^

All these mono-runs that lose to steel :)

You'll need a nidoking/queen; it's mandatory to have even a chance of doing direct and serious damage to Steel types. A tentacruel wouldn't be a bad idea either, and a crobat or weezing, for the former can beat ground types rather well due to its surprisingly good speed, and the latter two can evade ground moves altogether. All three are good defensive options that can lay down toxic spikes and/or potentially use moves like will o wisp, super fang, etc.

Scolipede is an underrated threat that can dish out a lot of damage with its STABs if invested, but unfortunately doesn't get access to some of its best coverage without TMs or tutoring. Venusaur and Skuntank are always good ideas, and Gengar is an absolute savage despite learning no poison moves by level. This is assuming that you wish to obtain Gengar, of course. Gengar as well as Skuntank, and Drapion when you get access to it, all do well versus Psychic types.

You're in for a fun ride. Poison type is pretty viable as long as you remember one thing: Toxic Spikes is your friend.

You'll have several good pokémon available early on, but have few options to expand your team in the mid-game. But if you survive till the late-game you should have an easy time.

Make sure to get a Budew and Trubbish early on, those will help you immensely early on. And augment your team with Nidoran M, Oddish and Koffing before fighting Florina.

All these mono-runs that lose to steel :)

You'll need a nidoking/queen; it's mandatory to have even a chance of doing direct and serious damage to Steel types. A tentacruel wouldn't be a bad idea either, and a crobat or weezing, for the former can beat ground types rather well due to its surprisingly good speed, and the latter two can evade ground moves altogether. All three are good defensive options that can lay down toxic spikes and/or potentially use moves like will o wisp, super fang, etc.

Scolipede is an underrated threat that can dish out a lot of damage with its STABs if invested, but unfortunately doesn't get access to some of its best coverage without TMs or tutoring. Venusaur and Skuntank are always good ideas, and Gengar is an absolute savage despite learning no poison moves by level. This is assuming that you wish to obtain Gengar, of course. Gengar as well as Skuntank, and Drapion when you get access to it, all do well versus Psychic types.

Because steel has some very good advantages, which many overlook. ^^

Roger that. One of the Nidos and Tentacruel is definitely on my list. Crobat, when i can get my hands on a zubat will be definitely on my team.

I know Scolipede from my playthrough of White. It is really a good option which is better than I thought. Gengar would be the best choice for Mewtwo, but unfortunately that is only a dream.

toxicroak is really good mom that I highly recommend that you catch. It will be really helpful and prove its value in that run of yours

Noted it.

You're in for a fun ride. Poison type is pretty viable as long as you remember one thing: Toxic Spikes is your friend.

You'll have several good pokémon available early on, but have few options to expand your team in the mid-game. But if you survive till the late-game you should have an easy time.

Make sure to get a Budew and Trubbish early on, those will help you immensely early on. And augment your team with Nidoran M, Oddish and Koffing before fighting Florina.

Toxic spikes, got it. :D

Thanks for the hunting list Tartar, i really appreciate it. :)

Poison is a highly versatile type which gives you access to a plethora of status moves. You're going to love it as long as you're not trying to oneshot everyone. They also have access to a wide variety of dual types. The only type that you're probably going to miss is fire, since it's countering steel. In fact Flamethrower is pretty much the only fire type move you'll be able to use. Skuntank learns it through level up and it's later available as TM. Just another reason to go for Stunky, but who'd pass up on Pepé le Pew anyways? The royal Nidos are good at dealing with steel types as well, since they get Earth Power to hurt those chunks with special attacks, since most of them have godly physical defence to the point where it doesn't even matter anymore. Talk about overcompensating.

One viable option for a poison team is to use Grassy Terrain and Sludge Wave to create your permanent playground wherever you need it. Grassy Terrain is learned by Gloom through level up, Roserade by heartscale or Blubasaur through breeding and Sludge Wave is the Gym leader's TM, so it'll be available to you come midgame.

Skuntank and Crobat(though this one would be much later on) would be both pretty great to have on your squad. Skuntank's typing and its versatile moveset make it quite the valuable partner to have, aside from Ground types which is where Crobat would come in for a switch-in. Stunky you can get pretty early on too, usually found in the alleyways around Peridot.

Not to mention, Skuntank's a giant skunk that's able to breath fire, lol. why not

Edited by Aurorain

While I have never done a monotype, I do know some poison pokemon that can be of use. The weakness of ground can be countered with Crobat for example, which I believe is captured as a Golbat around mid-early game. It's immense speed adding to its ability to poison and confuse, with a 110 powered Acrobatics makes it a must-have.

I also recommend Drapion as a built in physical tank if you are looking for someone to last against a Malamar, and if you can find a way to get X-Scissor on it, that would be a 4x weakness and would hopefully one-shot the Malamar if its defenses were not boosted yet. Plus it is a good toxic spikes layer.

I fully suggest catching a Grimer, as it and Muk were a big help early and mid-game. Find a black sludge on a wild trubbish for it, and have it learn minimize and acid armor, which combined with its natural sp. defense make it an incredible wall.

And of course as the above suggestions say, Toxicroak and/or Nidoking would be great additions to cover the whole steel thing

i dont know Poison Types that well, but if you can get a Drapion or Skuntank it will help alot since they are immune to Psychic Types, but make sure you get a Toxicroak because you will need a Fighting Type to deal with those Steel Types, oh yeah, if you can get your hands on a Nidoking and teach it Surf it will be helpful because of the Ground Types, perhaps Weezing since it has has Levitate, and for the final Poison Type i would say catch a Swalot since it has got quite good Defence and Special Defence, but when your against the Psychic Type Gym make sure you have Drapion or Skuntank since it will help, im not much help i guess, but i do plan on doing a Fighting or Fire Mono-Type Run, but i do not suggest doing a Dragon Run because the only Dragons you can get is Noivern, Flygon and Goodra i believe

[...], but i do not suggest doing a Dragon Run because the only Dragons you can get is Noivern, Flygon and Goodra i believe

Not to derail the thread too much, but Goodra isn't available yet. It has been marked available for episode 16 but that release is going to take just a little while longer.

You can get Noivern, Flygon, Dragalge, Altaria, Kingdra and Druddigon for certain, Haxorus through luck with the mystery egg, and Tyrantrum via fossils from the Order of The Helix. So yeah, dragons are few and far inbetween, but you could technically get a full team of them already. Though I'd favour poison types over dragons any day.

If you're lucky you can find a Trubbish that's carrying a Black Sludge. I found one in the Obsidia Slums, but I don't know if you can find it earlier (you'd need to consult the Pickup table). I believe you can catch a Grimer from the murky waters as soon as you get the Old Rod, which should already be available to you. Muk looks like it'd be a pretty good tank with that high HP and special defense, and... not-awful physical defense.

Drapion serves me pretty well even outside monotype runs. It and Skuntank take care of that pesky Psychic weakness, though they're both still vulnerable to Ground. Venusaur can cover Ground-types offensively, Crobat is part Flying and Weezing has Levitate, assuming you'd want to use one. I'm not too familiar with Poison tbh but Toxicroak is part-Fighting and I know Skuntank learns Flamethrower, so that would help against Steel.

Edited by Timber Dragon

Thank you all for these specific tips, tricks and tactics. Now the run can only be a success. :D

[...] It's immense speed adding to its ability to poison and confuse, with a 110 powered Acrobatics makes it a must-have. [...]

I can only add one thing to Crobat: Venoshock. That is one of the main reasons why i love poison types now, Corey showed me that poison can be really tough #teamcorey ;). That fight (and Crobat from my main run ^^) convinced me of starting this run. :)