Do you Feel Reborn is too "Edgy?"

Monochrome_Complex

i like the darkness in it, but i dont relate with most of the characters,or get any sympathy, other than corey which was cool af.

i really like the dark theme, and using pokemon for evil or torture at last. but the characters just dont seem interesting to me, i dont care whatever happens to them ,and most of them are taking things too far/crazy fucked up or cringy way

but i dont really care since i play for the gym /hard battles and creating my team

tldr: iv been ashamed to show the game to people because of the characters, iv seen a friend cringe rl to them. but some still play for the gameplay (not the puzzles)

example is the poison guy shoving you his sexuality at the first encounter. we don't care man,we're here to pokemon

when someone does this at rl it's super awkward . i dont care, i just met you

it tries to be funny though. ill give it that. i like terrawr.

Edited by Grimstringer

This thread is the prime example as to why the word "edgy" should never ever be used. Everyone has their own definition of it and is speaking past one another as to why Reborn is or isn't egdy according to their personal definition.

Everybody knows what it means, but at the same time nobody truly knows because everyone has their own definition and more or less disagree with others. It's beautiful, in a sense. Really shows the singularity of the human mind and the infinite possibilities of individual POVs. But yeah, this kinda kills the purpose of such a thread.

so looking around I found someone who described 'Edgy' as being "an action bordering on the outskirts of contextual social norm" with their example being about Fred not wearing a tie to work, now although they refer to it as being an action, it could easily be applied to a belief or game or anything in which case, calling Pokémon Reborn edgy is just saying it doesn't follow the same style as the original, which imo is just becoming far too watered down to cater to making it easier for children and less likely to make some parents or children butthurt over seeing something they think offends them, is offensive for whatever reason (since everything is offensive now) or is too dark to the point the villains are closer to school bullies that back off when you stand up to them.

If this truly is what edgy is then any fan game of Pokémon that isn't made so piss easy your cat/dog/hamster etc could beat it is considered edgy then because it isn't following the path of the main Pokémon games

Edited by Lord Drakyle

Reborn brings together subjects that would normally seem at odds with your traditional pokemon game. Thats not to say its at odds with Pokemon overall however. A lot of the topics are often alluded to in the games, manga and tv show (much less so in the latter admittedly). Each region has a gravesite in all but Johto (who give us a delightful tower that was burnt to the ground, killing the pokemon inside). Cinnabar Island blows the fuck up. Guarantee not everyone got off. Blue's Raticate. And those are just the original games. The Pokemon Wars detailed in X/Y. The first Pokemon movie. Ash was dead guys. He was made of stone, can't get much deader than that. Horrible pokemon experiments in the manga on Misty's Gyarados, Red's Vee, Rhydon's entire existence. Mewtwo's entire existence. Look at all the ghost Pokemon with tragic entries.

Reborn doesn't give us anymore than what is already present in the Pokemon World, it just throws it at us in a fantastically brutal way.

Edited by TheLavenderTownOrphan