Chained Down Pokemon

H.P. Doom

I was playing pokemon white recently when i noticed archeops was kinda useless because of its ability. It didnt help me that much and i was kinda dissapointed. What pokemon do you guys feel are held back by a hold item or a move or an ability that if it didnt have/ have to have, it would be good. Pokemon such as giratina, whom has to hold its orb in order to be of much use to the player.

Edited by H.P. Doom

Giratina's problem wasn't so major because it gains boosts to its Ghost and Dragon-type attacks.

Arceus's formes other than Normal is held back a bit by forcing to run plates, due to some of these Arceus don't even run Judgment.

Meloetta's Pirouette forme is held back by only accessible through Relic Song. It's quite a shame, really, considering its stellar offensive stats.

Meloetta-P's the biggest shame of all the Pokemon because there's not a story reason or gimmick behind it that is intentional. I truly believe GameFreak had wanted Melo-P to be really good, and yet it's held back by the way you access it's alternate form in more than one way.

Zen mode Darmanitan! End of story...

Seriously Zenmanitan is probably the hardest pokemon to ever use! There is no reason to use it over SF Darmanitan and you can't even control the tranformation. Darmanitan has paper defences meaning it gets straight OHKO'd before transforming bellow 50% and even then you get stucked with one of the slowest pokemon in the game. Not to mention that the new added Psychic type gives it even more weaknesses...

First up: Giratina is hardly 'chained down' in that manner. It has fantastic stats and movepool, great bulk and respectable power depending on the form, and an excellent ability in Levitate in the Origin Forme which you term as restraining. While it is true to an extent that it would like to have been able to hold a Scarf or Lefties like other Pokemon, Griseous Orb is by no means a shackle, since it makes its ghost and dragon moves quite seriously powerful even off a rather modest (by Ubers standards) 120 base attack or special attack.

To answer you, however, I should say that while the Three Unfortunate Mascots of restriction do suffer (I allude to Defeatist Archeops, Slow Start Regigigas and Truant Slaking) due to a crippling ability, but for which these Pokémon would have been terrific beyond praise, I personally rue the fact that certain Pokemon do not get the moves that they should logically receive and which they could make extremely good use of.

Imagine the awful splendour of Hydro Pump Manaphy, Tail Glow (Mega) Ampharos, Shift Gear (Mega) Metagross, Extreme Speed or Dragon Dance (or even Agility) Garchomp, Ice Beam Keldeo, Icicle Crash Kyurem (Black), Spiky Shield Ferrothorn, Focus Blast Latias/Latios and Roost Empoleon. GameFreak has not done them proper justice in denying them the chance to utilize their full potential. Though I do concede that these moves would make the respective Pokémon terrifying and very probably broken, that line of thought has nevertheless not deterred GameFreak from creating abominations like Hoopa-U, Volcanion, Greninja and Mega Salamence and other broken Pokémon with justified movepools.

First up: Giratina is hardly 'chained down' in that manner. It has fantastic stats and movepool, great bulk and respectable power depending on the form, and an excellent ability in Levitate in the Origin Forme which you term as restraining. While it is true to an extent that it would like to have been able to hold a Scarf or Lefties like other Pokemon, Griseous Orb is by no means a shackle, since it makes its ghost and dragon moves quite seriously powerful even off a rather modest (by Ubers standards) 120 base attack or special attack.

To answer you, however, I should say that while the Three Unfortunate Mascots of restriction do suffer (I allude to Defeatist Archeops, Slow Start Regigigas and Truant Slaking) due to a crippling ability, but for which these Pokémon would have been terrific beyond praise, I personally rue the fact that certain Pokemon do not get the moves that they should logically receive and which they could make extremely good use of.

Imagine the awful splendour of Hydro Pump Manaphy, Tail Glow (Mega) Ampharos, Shift Gear (Mega) Metagross, Extreme Speed or Dragon Dance (or even Agility) Garchomp, Ice Beam Keldeo, Icicle Crash Kyurem (Black), Spiky Shield Ferrothorn, Focus Blast Latias/Latios and Roost Empoleon. GameFreak has not done them proper justice in denying them the chance to utilize their full potential. Though I do concede that these moves would make the respective Pokémon terrifying and very probably broken, that line of thought has nevertheless not deterred GameFreak from creating abominations like Hoopa-U, Volcanion, Greninja and Mega Salamence and other broken Pokémon with justified movepools.

I never said origin Giratina was bad. i was just saying a pokemon that has to have its special held item in order to be good at all. Giratina is a good pokemon in its origin form,but without its orb, its crippling and cant really do much besides wall stuff, which is boring for such an interesting concept for a pokemon. The orb does chain it down for without it, giratina is kinda useless.

Zen mode Darmanitan! End of story...

Seriously Zenmanitan is probably the hardest pokemon to ever use! There is no reason to use it over SF Darmanitan and you can't even control the tranformation. Darmanitan has paper defences meaning it gets straight OHKO'd before transforming bellow 50% and even then you get stucked with one of the slowest pokemon in the game. Not to mention that the new added Psychic type gives it even more weaknesses...

I would hardly say Darmanitan is chained down by its zen mode ability. Normal Darmanitan is a monster. If it were the other way around you would have a point.

There aren't many Pokemon that could be considered "chained down" out side of the really obvious ones. But I would say that Shedninja is held back (although not by much) because of its gimmick. the fact that is can only able to survive two hits (and to do that requires sacrificing its item slot) really hurts Shedninja. Its ability is next to useless as well, except in very rare and particular circumstances. The poor thing is completely worthless.

I never said origin Giratina was bad. i was just saying a pokemon that has to have its special held item in order to be good at all. Giratina is a good pokemon in its origin form,but without its orb, its crippling and cant really do much besides wall stuff, which is boring for such an interesting concept for a pokemon. The orb does chain it down for without it, giratina is kinda useless.

how? it's incredibly bulky, with a decent defensive typing that grants 2 immunities and dragon's host of resistances.