Anyone Look Younger Than They Really Are?

I'm just curious to see if anyone else out here experiences the struggles of having a baby-face. Sometimes I feel like an adult trapped in a pre-teen body. I thought that by the time I turned 18 people would start looking a little more mature but that didn't happen. Most of the time when I travel solo I have airport security ask me how old I am or tell me that I have to be at least 13 to go through the body scanner, once a female officer even asked me "Sweetie, where's mom?"

I know I'll probably appreciate it as a compliment when I get over 30, but right now it kind of sucks being in my early 20s and people perceiving me as a kid.

So I have a beard this never happened to me. However a friend of mine is unable to grow a beard. We're the same age, we go to a bar. They let me in without checking for ID, but bar him. I spend like 20 minutes talking to the guard explain that we're the same age, eventually the dude believes me. Later on another friend of ours shows up that is 16. They let him in because he has a moustache.

#EZFacialHair

I don't look younger than my age (16) but my little brother does. He's 13 but looks like he's about 10. He has a baby face and is 4'11, so you can understand why I think this. Whenever my mom introduces him and my sister to her friends they always mistake my 10 year old sister as being the middle child and my brother as being the youngest. It's pretty funny.

Edited by Taska

Facial hair is my saving grace. I'm 22 but without any facial hair I guess I look 16 or so. With a beard I don't have any issues when I go to a bar or if I have to buy. However, if I shave I get asked to see my ID or if my parents are with me when I want to go see a rated R movie. I've argued with a few bartenders and bouncers when it's been an issue. Restaurants always tried to give me a kid's menu when I was in my early to mid teenage years. It was frustrating to say the least.

Facial hair is the only thing that makes me look even slightly close to my age. I forgot I was going to the movies on Friday and shaved that morning and I got questioned by the movie theater employees before I went to see Suicide Squad. They thought my license was fake and only believed me when I pulled out my car keys and boy was that frustrating.

The only reason my co-workers know I'm at least 18 is because that's the minimum age for my job. Even so, one of them thought for a bit that I was 16 or so. Generally, I have people mistaking me for 14-16.

When I was 18, it was much, much worse. Senior in High School, and the fifth-grade bullies think they can pick on me because I look like a fifth-grader. Pretty sure they were suprised to learn that I was not only seven grades above them, but also friends with all of the faculty. tbh, that last part is how I survived babyfacedom.

I'm 20 and constantly mistaken for being younger than I really am. In addition to looking super young, I am super short at only 4'11. I'm a trans guy and when I still presented as a girl, my age was never mistaken. Since presenting as a guy, though, I suddenly looked like 8 years younger. I volunteer at an elementary school and I was mistaken for a 5th grader. A 5th grader! Someone 10 years younger than me! I've finally started growing facial hair so I'm finally starting to look my age. If only I wasn't so short.

I know this problem. Or at least, I used to know it.

I was 25 and too much people said I looked more like 20-21 years old.

So I just stopped shaving and after a while I had a decent beard. People now clearly see me more as a guy in his mid 20's and not in the beginning.

A great relief.

Never really been mistaken by age. There have been other situations, however, like when someone once thought I was a lesbian.

There's also those many times my big sister (who's around 30) have been mistaken as my mother.

I was at work and some lady asked me to get her some cigarettes "if I could" and was genuinely shocked when I went to get them, because "I couldn't tell if you were 18 or not." (backstory just in case: in Murica smoking age is 18 and if you're underage you can't even sell them)

My 21st birthday is in less than a week.

Well, thanks. Aging is overrated, anyway.

Facial hair definitely makes a difference. When I first started at my current job, the assistant manager thought I was about 16 or 17 (I'm 19). While that's not too bad, I came in once not having shaved for a couple days, and the head manager told me I looked like I'd aged four years in 3 days.