Spork Episode 8: Smoothie + Delicia's Delicious Dreamland

Ice Cream Sand Witch

• Global Mods

Re-uploaded episode 3 with the following fixes/changes:

-You can now see how many Marbles you have from your bag

-Tsareena learns Trop Kick at level 29

-Charcoal costs 100 now like the other type-increasing items instead of 9800

-Fixed typo in Pandora's speech where "anything" was spelled "anytihng"

-Fixed bug where if you lost to Pandora and went back to battle her again, the game would freeze

-TM location list is now complete

-Can no longer walk through the PC in the Pokemon Research Institute

-Gave Felicia's Delcatty max friendship since it has Return (meant to do this originally but forgot)

-Fixed typo in Barker's speech at the Battle Mall where "And who might you be?" was "And who you might be?"

-Added rocks to the water west of Virima City and in some parts of Bolaii Coastline and Bolaii Beach to prevent the player from surfing in areas that weren't meant to be surfed

Also added episode 4 progress below the download link for episode 3. 

• Upvote 1

• Global Mods
10 minutes ago, LeonVermillion said:

can anybody tell me on what level does Vikavolt learn thunderbolt?

planning to evolve Charjabus to Vikavolt right away after it evolve

Vikavolt learns Thunderbolt when it evolves from Charjabug. However I'm not sure if Essentials has a way of doing that method, which I think was introduced in Gen 7, so in Spork it's only a level 1 move. I was able to get around this for some like the starters' signature moves by having them learned at the level they evolve, but Vikavolt evolves through stone. You can have Vikavolt learn Thunderbolt through the Move Tutor in Olidroll. 

Just now, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Vikavolt learns Thunderbolt when it evolves from Charjabug. However I'm not sure if Essentials has a way of doing that method, which I think was introduced in Gen 7, so in Spork it's only a level 1 move. I was able to get around this for some like the starters' signature moves by having that learned at the lebel they evolve, but Vikavolt evolves through stone. You can have Vikavolt learn Thunderbolt through the Move Tutor in Olidroll. 

ahh okay thank that's quite a fast reply tho

• Global Mods

Re-uploaded with the name-changing office in Virima City no longer accessible. Changing names through there caused the player to lose their Pokemon, items, badges, Pokedex, money, and Pokegear. 

The first incident of someone losing their Pokemon, item, etc. data was about two weeks ago, but neither the user it happened to or me knew what caused it, and the user didn't experience any problems again after having the data recovered. At the time I thought it was most likely an issue with the user's computer, since I hadn't heard of anything like it happening before. But the second incident was today and the user mentioned the name-changing office. I tried it myself and it happened, so the name-changing office had to go. 

The outside of the building is still there, but the inside has been removed (including the NPCs that were there) and there's a guard in front of the door who explains why it was shut down.

Spoiler

I forgot to mention this, but it seems that Freeze-Dry has a error. When I used it against a Ludicolo, it only received neutral damage when it should normally be weak X4. 

• Global Mods
21 minutes ago, Sr.F said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I forgot to mention this, but it seems that Freeze-Dry has a error. When I used it against a Ludicolo, it only received neutral damage when it should normally be weak X4. 

Fixed for episode 4. (I would normally re-upload now, but I've reuploaded ep 3 so many times that I need a break from doing it x . x especially since I have to move events around every time to prevent the player from seeing ep 4 content)

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

I found a new bug: Every time that Mudsdale raises one level, evolution is always activated, when Mudsdale cannot evolve anymore. (And no, this is not a joke xD)

Mudsdale Evolution Bug.jpg

• Global Mods
1 minute ago, Sr.F said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I found a new bug: Every time that Mudsdale raises one level, evolution is always activated, when Mudsdale cannot evolve anymore. (And no, this is not a joke xD)

Mudsdale Evolution Bug.jpg

Fixed. It seems like Mudsdale was listed as an evolution of itself XD

• Global Mods

de429c46a5494ec4bd03dd6f1f368399.png

I wanted to share this picture because I have 11 badges and my playtime is 11:11. 

The diving spot in the picture goes to the Sea Star Society, which it's almost time to do. 

(in case anyone's wondering about the Sea of Knowledge, since it was said the Sea Stars are underwater there, the Sea of Knowledge has two parts and Ocean Coast is in between them)

The 11 coincidence isn't the only reason for this post though. From May 16 until June 15, I won't be able to work on the game. I'll be going somewhere and I'm not allowed to take my laptop with me. I'll still be able to come online since I'm taking a mobile device, but there won't be any game progress during that time. This is something I just found out two days ago.

May 16 is still quite a bit away so for all I know episode 4 may be done by then. If I continue going at my current pace, it's definitely possible. In mid-March I thought I'd need a longer break and that at this point I'd just be starting to get back into things, but once I finish the NPC houses and a sidequest in Ocean Coast it'll be time for the Sea Stars. I will work as fast as I can, but I'm not going to rush myself to get it done before May 16, and I'm also not going to rush Palletite with spriting or Nakuto with beta testing (or SPB with Legend Mode if she gets Internet back soon). I don't want to cause that kind of stress for myself or anyone else who contributes to the game. 

So here's what could happen. 

Scenario 1: Ep 4 is finished (including sprites and beta testing) before May 16. In this scenario, ep 4 is released before I have to leave. I won't start episode 5 until I'm back in June. I'll still be able to come online occasionally while I'm away to respond to any feedback, questions, or bug reports.

Scenario 2: Ep 4 is finished in terms of story, sidequests, etc. but spriting or beta testing is still in progress after May 16: I'll still be able to continue PM conversations with Palletite and Nakuto, but I won't be able to upload the game. If this happens and spriting and beta testing are finished while I'm away, I may try to find a public computer for the public release, but I can't make any guarantees since uploading takes 20-30 minutes on my laptop and will probably take longer on a public computer. (downloading ep 4 to a public computer may also take some time)

Scenario 3: I'm still working on Ep 4 by May 16 (meaning I haven't reached the 12th gym battle at this point). In this scenario, no progress can be made at all until I'm back. I think this is the least likely scenario since I'm this far and it's only the beginning of April, but it's still possible. I apologize in advance if this ends up being the case. 

• Upvote 1

This looks super interesting! The concept of being able to choose almost any starter is something I have never seen before. I was wondering how would you rate the difficulty of this game? I would assume it's a more story based driven game as opposed to trying to be challenging as you can choose any starter but maybe the wild Pokemon/Gyms are balanced around knowing you can have good Pokes. I'll probably play this regardless I just usually like to know if a ROM is designed to try and be challenging before I play so I go into it with a different approach/mindset.

Edited by Lissandra
  • Upvote 1

• Global Mods
50 minutes ago, Lissandra said:

This looks super interesting! The concept of being able to choose almost any starter is something I have never seen before. I was wondering how would you rate the difficulty of this game? I would assume it's a more story based driven game as opposed to trying to be challenging as you can choose any starter but maybe the wild Pokemon/Gyms are balanced around knowing you can have good Pokes. I'll probably play this regardless I just usually like to know if a ROM is designed to try and be challenging before I play so I go into it with a different approach/mindset.

It isn't as difficult as games like Reborn. Gym Leaders still have a full team but there are no field effects, level caps, etc. It's correct that difficulty isn't something I really focus on. There will be a Legend Mode in the future where items can't be used in gym battles and experience also isn't gained in them, but the person who came up with that idea and helps me with it doesn't have Internet right now so I'm waiting on her for that.

• Upvote 1

Alright, so, I'm kind of curious. Just got two questions. One; Why is the game named 'spork'? It's always confused me, especially now that I've played it to see that it's not actually a joke game like I thought it was (or at least not nearly as 'joke' as I'd assumed). I actually avoided this game for the longest time because I thought it was gonna be a silly, april-fools-esque game with no real point to it.

Two - what the heck is up with the pokedex descriptions? I caught a Corphish and found out it's description is 'Jimmy Dean', and every other Mon I have is described similarly. 

Those two confusions aside, I'm having fun with this fangame - the ability to choose any mon I want as a starter is extremely refreshing~

• Upvote 1

• Global Mods
1 hour ago, shinymissingno said:

Alright, so, I'm kind of curious. Just got two questions. One; Why is the game named 'spork'? It's always confused me, especially now that I've played it to see that it's not actually a joke game like I thought it was (or at least not nearly as 'joke' as I'd assumed). I actually avoided this game for the longest time because I thought it was gonna be a silly, april-fools-esque game with no real point to it.

Two - what the heck is up with the pokedex descriptions? I caught a Corphish and found out it's description is 'Jimmy Dean', and every other Mon I have is described similarly. 

Those two confusions aside, I'm having fun with this fangame - the ability to choose any mon I want as a starter is extremely refreshing~

I actually don't remember why it's called Spork XD Originally I was having a really hard time coming up with a name for the game. There are some food themes with Delicia and the fruit characters, so I may have named it Spork because of that. 

The Pokedex entries were edited to remove mentions of death and similar darkness since death literally doesn't exist in the world of Spork. 

• Global Mods
6 minutes ago, Sceptilespy said:

Question: Is Pokémon Spork a test game or something? Or is this the real deal.

I'm not really sure what you mean by test game. If by test game you mean something made just to test out Essentials codes and features and such, it's a fangame just like Reborn, Rejuvenation, Desolation, etc. are. 

I'm not really sure what you mean by test game. If by test game you mean something made just to test out Essentials codes and features and such, it's a fangame just like Reborn, Rejuvenation, Desolation, etc. are. 

When I said test game. I meant it as in, this was kind of a test run. To see what you could do and make with RPG maker and essentials. In short, not a serious game in the sense, that you want people to play it and remember it specifically for it's features, story, battles, etc, but rather to simply see if you COULD do that. And then the next shot would be for something "big" like Desolation, Rejuvenation, Reborn, etc. My bad if it came off as rude. It's definitely more then I could do. Heck, I've been spriting battle sprites for the last two months or so and I'm still not finished.

• Global Mods
1 hour ago, Sceptilespy said:

When I said test game. I meant it as in, this was kind of a test run. To see what you could do and make with RPG maker and essentials. In short, not a serious game in the sense, that you want people to play it and remember it specifically for it's features, story, battles, etc, but rather to simply see if you COULD do that. And then the next shot would be for something "big" like Desolation, Rejuvenation, Reborn, etc. My bad if it came off as rude. It's definitely more then I could do. Heck, I've been spriting battle sprites for the last two months or so and I'm still not finished.

Oh. Spork is a game I'm putting my real effort and feelings into making. It started as an idea in early 2015 a short time after I found Reborn. At that time after I wrote down a lot I kind of set it aside because I thought "There's no way I'll ever actually be able to do this". But then I saw that other people were inspired from Reborn to make their own fangames, so I downloaded RPG Maker and Essentials in late May that year after fully planning out the story, features, etc. I didn't think I'd get very far, but I decided to try anyway. Since at this point it was still just a casual thing and I was still doubting whether I'd actually be able to make something, there were long periods of time where I didn't work on it, resulting in the first episode of Spork releasing in July 2016 instead of the originally planned October-November 2015. I was still happy to have gotten to the point of releasing an episode. 

Although it's not really unexpected for a first release from someone who has no experience with anything involving game-making, the first upload of ep 1 was a mess. ~90% of posts here when I first released Spork were of bug reports, and every time I thought I fixed all the ones I was capable of fixing a new wave of bugs was discovered. 

Most of the maps were also a lot bigger than they needed to be, and trees + other natural objects were too uniform. Although I corrected a lot of the early mapping mistakes I still think my mapping could use more improvement, and I'll hopefully get better the more I work on the game. Map size has actually been the biggest challenge for the Sea Star Society, partially because seven of the maps for it are connected and my brain seems to use one of the sections in particular as a sort of default for how the other sections should be, when the sizes should really depend on what the section is. 

Spriting is something I can't really do at all, and if Palletite hadn't approached me offering assistance, Spork's sprites would most likely still be the recolors they were from the first four uploads of ep 1. Art is something I've never been able to do well, on paper or on a computer. Even staying in the lines is a challenge since my hands can't seem to stay still. I'm eternally thankful for Palletite's help. 

I feel like I didn't intend to write a whole history of Spork when I started this post, but it was still fun to think about and type. 

• Upvote 1

While Reborn, Rejuvenation, Insurgence, etc had a serious theme, Spork got a light hearted, fun theme which I like. The small meme here and there is cool. Spork is shaping up into a real solid game. The game is unique in it's own way from the starter options to the characters then to the world.

• Upvote 1

• Global Mods
Just now, Sapphire Mahala said:

Ok so i'm seriously lost as to obtaining froakie can anybody tell me where i can find walt and the ninja club because i've searched and cannot find it or am i suppose to unlock it somehow 

The Ninja Club is the bottom right club in Tullborn City. You need to have done all the ranger and police sidequests for the Ninja Club to be open. 

The Ninja Club is the bottom right club in Tullborn City. You need to have done all the ranger and police sidequests for the Ninja Club to be open. 

ok thank you icsw great game btw love the music and characters

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ice Cream Sand Witch said:

Oh. Spork is a game I'm putting my real effort and feelings into making. It started as an idea in early 2015 a short time after I found Reborn. At that time after I wrote down a lot I kind of set it aside because I thought "There's no way I'll ever actually be able to do this". But then I saw that other people were inspired from Reborn to make their own fangames, so I downloaded RPG Maker and Essentials in late May that year after fully planning out the story, features, etc. I didn't think I'd get very far, but I decided to try anyway. Since at this point it was still just a casual thing and I was still doubting whether I'd actually be able to make something, there were long periods of time where I didn't work on it, resulting in the first episode of Spork releasing in July 2016 instead of the originally planned October-November 2015. I was still happy to have gotten to the point of releasing an episode. 

Although it's not really unexpected for a first release from someone who has no experience with anything involving game-making, the first upload of ep 1 was a mess. ~90% of posts here when I first released Spork were of bug reports, and every time I thought I fixed all the ones I was capable of fixing a new wave of bugs was discovered. 

Most of the maps were also a lot bigger than they needed to be, and trees + other natural objects were too uniform. Although I corrected a lot of the early mapping mistakes I still think my mapping could use more improvement, and I'll hopefully get better the more I work on the game. Map size has actually been the biggest challenge for the Sea Star Society, partially because seven of the maps for it are connected and my brain seems to use one of the sections in particular as a sort of default for how the other sections should be, when the sizes should really depend on what the section is. 

Spriting is something I can't really do at all, and if Palletite hadn't approached me offering assistance, Spork's sprites would most likely still be the recolors they were from the first four uploads of ep 1. Art is something I've never been able to do well, on paper or on a computer. Even staying in the lines is a challenge since my hands can't seem to stay still. I'm eternally thankful for Palletite's help. 

I feel like I didn't intend to write a whole history of Spork when I started this post, but it was still fun to think about and type. 

Well dang. I didn't know all of that lol. But that's cool anyways.

Good luck on Spork! I'm having fun playing through it myself.

• Upvote 1