Good (Free) Video Editing Software?

CodeCass

Good morning all!

Hope everyone is doing well. I had a quick question for those in the community who post to YouTube. I've been interested lately in trying to make some Pokémon Reborn and other gaming videos for my YouTube for Let's Plays. I've looked into OBS as a good free options for actual video capture and I have FRAPS, but I was curious what free program folks are using nowadays to actually edit. Back in good ol' 2007 when I was actually making videos on the regular, I always used the old version of Windows Movie Maker, but these days I'm wanting something a little better and less prone to bugs when it comes to audio.

So what do you guys who edit use? Is there anything simple and free out there, or am I going to have to drop some of the cash that so scarce these days? Haha.

I appreciate any and all help folks, and I hope you all have a fantastic day!

Trick question, because the cheapest and most reliable is probably movie maker 13 for those who don't have enough money to afford Sony Vegas Pro (like me).

Unfortunately, I don't know any free video editing software that's... good, to say the least. Windows movie maker is fine if you already recorded your audio, and your video doesn't have a lot of editing in it.

And the Youtube video editor is just... awful.

So if you're willing to shell out about $19 for Movie Studio 13, it's worth it.

Yeah, Movie Studio is a very great buy and will have basically everything that you could need for editing. If you're on a Mac, even iMovie can produce decent quality productions, although it's not as great as Movie Studio. Another option that might be pricey if you don't have a bundle or something is Adobe Premiere Pro, which has a free download if you just wanted to try it out.

I may have to give this Lightworks a try. I've also been watching some YouTube videos on how to make an overly to use with OBS to add a little something extra to the video other than just my commentary haha. Of course that takes some sort of Photoshop-esque software that I'll also have to try and track down! The good things is, I'm fairly motivated to give this a go, so I'm going to try and get all the necessary software I can to make something halfway decent!

EDIT: With Lightworks, are you able to use an overlay? Just curious. Thanks again for the help everyone!

So let me run this by you guys and gals and see what you all think, since I can tell you all know what you're talking about! :)

Basically what I'm wanting to do is record a Nuzlocke run of Volt White 2. I'm running the game through DeSmuMe and recording with OBS. Basically I'd make my overlay in Paint.net or GIMP, Then I'd put that image into OBS to get my screens sized correctly and in the right positions. I'd then record the gameplay, overlay and all, in OBS and then save it. Then I would edit in Lightworks, placing copies of the same overlay with an updated Pokémon roster over the footage as necessary.

I'm really new to all this and basically this little plan has come entirely from watching different how-to YouTube videos lol. I'm SURE I'm doing this a more complicated way than is needed, so that's why I wanted to ask you nice people. Thanks so much in advance for any more help you all can give, and thanks again for everyone helping me out so far!