[Gen 1 Ubers] Insight

Cool Girl

I wanted to take a shot at making a gen 1 team, so here goes. So, basically, since I had no experience in Gen 1, I looked up Smogon for which pokémon is good to have in a gen 1 team, then I looked up Smogon for movesets. I'm looking for feedback on how I can improve this team.

AT A GLANCE

mewtwo.pngmew.pngchansey.pngslowbro.pngsnorlax.pngtauros.png

THE TEAM

mewtwo.png

Mewtwo
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Bashful Nature
- Body Slam
- Psychic
- Hyper Beam
- Recover
mew.png
Mew
Ability: Synchronize
Bashful Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Soft-Boiled
- Psychic
chansey.png
Chansey
Ability: Natural Cure
Bashful Nature
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
slowbro.png
Slowbro
Ability: Oblivious
Bashful Nature
- Amnesia
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Rest
snorlax.png
Snorlax
Ability: Immunity
Bashful Nature
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Surf
tauros.png
Tauros
Ability: Intimidate
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard
Copy-Paste Team

Mewtwo
Ability: Pressure
Bashful Nature
- Body Slam
- Psychic
- Hyper Beam
- Recover

Mew
Ability: Synchronize
Bashful Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Soft-Boiled
- Psychic

Chansey
Ability: Natural Cure
Bashful Nature
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

Slowbro
Ability: Oblivious
Bashful Nature
- Amnesia
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Snorlax
Ability: Immunity
Bashful Nature
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Surf

Tauros
Ability: Intimidate
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard

Any suggestion or feedback would greatly be appreciated! :D

I've heard Persian is really good since critical hits are based on Speed stat back in Gen 1. Persian has high Speed and thus "naturally" high crit ratio. Guess which Pokemon gets Slash? Persian.

Is Amnesia on Mewtwo banned or something? Amnesia is what made Mewtwo so broken. You might not even need both Body Slam and Hyper Beam on Mewtwo since Amnesia boosts Sp. Attack.

I don't know if Dragonite is Uber, but Thunder Wave + Wrap is a hilarious combination, especially in Gen 1.

By the way, why are Natures and Abilities listed? They didn't exist in Gen 1, did Smogon have them? Tauros doesn't seem to have EV spread or Nature, though.

I've heard Persian is really good since critical hits are based on Speed stat back in Gen 1. Persian has high Speed and thus "naturally" high crit ratio. Guess which Pokemon gets Slash? Persian.

Is Amnesia on Mewtwo banned or something? Amnesia is what made Mewtwo so broken. You might not even need both Body Slam and Hyper Beam on Mewtwo since Amnesia boosts Sp. Attack.

I don't know if Dragonite is Uber, but Thunder Wave + Wrap is a hilarious combination, especially in Gen 1.

By the way, why are Natures and Abilities listed? They didn't exist in Gen 1, did Smogon have them? Tauros doesn't seem to have EV spread or Nature, though.

Oops, I think I forgot to put it, but yeah I think EVs didn't exist.

Uhm, don't use Hyper Beam on special Mewtwo guys. Honestly, just go with the standard smogon sets, Amnesia Mewtwo w/ Psychic/Blizzard/Recover and Sword Dance Mew w/Hyper Beam/Earthquake/Soft-Boiled.

Hyper Beam is there for Chansey and physicaly frail psychic types like Starmie and Alakazam, so they can't come in and Thunder Wave Mewtwo, thus crippling it for the rest of the game!

Running Rest over Recover solves that problem. Hyper Beam is problematic because it will only do a bit over 50% to Chansey and Starmie, plus you sacrifice a turn. If you really want to nail Chansey you can run Submission, which is much better for that purpose. Blizzard is normally the better coverage move, it packs enough power to 2HKO Alakazam at +2, OHKOs Exeggutor and gives you a shot at freezing your opponent.

Running Rest over Recover solves that problem. Hyper Beam is problematic because it will only do a bit over 50% to Chansey and Starmie, plus you sacrifice a turn. If you really want to nail Chansey you can run Submission, which is much better for that purpose. Blizzard is normally the better coverage move, it packs enough power to 2HKO Alakazam at +2, OHKOs Exeggutor and gives you a shot at freezing your opponent.

Hyper Beam on Mewtwo is most liekly gonna be used when the KO is certain. (For anyone doesn't know: if you get a kill with hyper beam in gen 1 you don't have to recharge) So when chansey it at about 50% for example. Plus, hyper beam is at least something to keep Chansey from walling Mewtwo. Other this like starmie can be overpowered with amnesia + Psychic.

From what I remember, Gen 1 ubers tier only included two pokemon specifically: Mewtwo and Mew. They simply had so much power/coverage that nothing else could compete with them. After that, Psychics were probably the strongest type in general, especially those with Amnesia, since it doubled special attack and special defense each use. Also, Gen 1 was before the switched to special/physical based on move; it was based on type. There was also a rule where Hyper Beam would reset completely if you managed to finish off a foe, but I believe this might've been Pokemon Stadium specific (or I reversed it).

Advice on the team above:

I would personally give Mewtwo Amnesia and another special move instead of two normal type attacks.

Mew maybe Fire Blast/Ice Beam instead of Blizzard? Both are more accurate, but if you need coverage from ice maybe that.

Chansey, I know bolt/beam was a set but I don't know if it works this early.

Slowbro - Add psychic instead of rest?

Snorlax: Maybe self-destruct would help the set for a YOLO death at the end

Tauros looks strong, I'm just not sure about blizzard.

the thing is is in gen 1 psychic was perfect coverage with nothing able to wall it with anything less than about neutral damage(bar psychic types them selves) with combine that hyper beam an attk with a monstrous 150 base attk its gonna hit hard with weak attk. Mewtwo at worst has respectable attk for gen 1 and the glitch stated above makes it nearly broken if used on a KO and gives coverage for most psychic types and specific special walls meaning chansey as most psychic types bar slowbro have weak base def stat making it possible to KO these pokemon much easier taking care of that problem.

I'm saying it again. Hyper Beam is not good on special Mewtwo and physical Mewtwo is inferior. Mew does that role better. Hyper Beam doesn't net KOs against the important Pokemon if they haven't lost >40% of their HP already. Then you lose a turn, which could cost you the best Pokemon in the game. It's absolutely not worth it.

well it may be mewtwo is a dominant special attacker but in gen 1 you have no natures and you can max all EVS in each stat unlike today with a limited ev spread and this is actually i put in a damage calculator hyper beam ohkos chancey in gen 1 seeing as its 110 base attk which is not only not bad for gen 1 but exceeds alot of physical attackers of that era aswell as ohkoing Slowbro and seeing as everything else hyper beam is something nothing in gen 1 wants in on specially if already has taken damage and on top of that ko almost all physical tanks with psychic with certinity

It literally fails at 2HKOing Chansey 80% of the time. Possibly the worst move ever.

http://imgur.com/4Fj1bXC

Just use Amnesia Mewtwo with Psychic/Blizzard. You're better of Amnesia'ing to +6 and then spam Psychic against Chansey, but even then you still have a high chance of losing to it. Mewtwo can beat Chansey with Submission, otherwise no bueno.

Edited by Sohn der Höhe

Mewtwo can't set up against Chansey cause it will be T waved in return, meaning you just crippled your best pokemon! And no, Rest is bad in Gen 1 cause the turn you wake up you do nothing. That means the opponent can put you straight back to sleep since he knows when you wake up!!!

Blizzard only hits Exeguttor which I'm pretty sure Hyper Beam still threatens it if it is weakend!

Also the whole metagame in Gen 1 (even the OU) was about to weaken the mons that doesn't get straight OHKO'd by Hyper Beam, so you can spam it freely to clean up!

Hyper Beam does 32 -38% to Exeggutor and Rest can work just fine in Gen 1, if you don't let your Mewtwo in on a Pokemon that can threaten it. What are Alakazam or Chansey gonna do to a sleeping Mewtwo? They can maybe 4HKO it at best. Edit: Scrap that, their standard sets 6HKO it. Also, add in Starmie, it's attacks do nothing to Mewtwo too.

At +2 Psychic does as much damage as Hyper Beam to Starmie, Blizzard does more damage than Hyper Beam to Alakazam and it OHKOs Exeggutor. Hyper Beam just takes a valuable move slot away and gives you nothing in return, you can barely beat Chansey with it anyways, play Submission for that or just spam Psychic for the special drop.

Edited by Sohn der Höhe

You could pretty much destroy everything with the right moves. You didn't have the internet, so word of mouth was the best way to find hidden items and TMs. So that being said, Pokemon with high power moves usually get the job done.

Edited by Honchy