Ranting ahead.

Yuki

Oh lord I need this thread again for a moment.

Sometimes people are denser than a goddamn brick wall.

I knew jumping into that debate would test my patience, but the least people could do is step up their reading comprehension game and not put words into someone else's mouth.

Nobody was saying the thing you are complaining about. Nobody. Not a single person. In fact, I actually made a post three hours before yours where I clarified that I was not trying to imply the thing. I spelled it out precisely so that people like you wouldn't jump to assumptions.

I'd give you the benefit of doubt under other circumstances, but there's no way you could misunderstand my previous post so hard, unless you didn't even read it.

Read it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sick of American celebrities coming into Australia and acting like it unreasonable when we get upset about them breaking laws. We have just as much right to enforce our laws on people who visit as any other country on Earth, and just because you're a big deal, it doesn't mean you are allowed to disregard them.

From Justin Beiber coming and spray painting everywhere, expecting that we would be honored that he was being a complete idiot. However this is sparked from the stupid actions of Johnny Depp around his dogs pistol and boo. His wife (and him) brought them into Australia a while ago on a private jet and didn't declare them, clearly breaching our customs laws. The Australian immigration officials has every right to take and kill the dogs, but they didn't. Our agriculture minister Barnaby Joyce (who is an odd man to say the least) was particularly vocal surrounding this, and despite his over the top way of conveying his message, I agreed with the sentiment. We shouldn't let people breach our laws just because they are famous. But eventually we let the dogs go, and didn't put his wife in custody for a trial later (later happening to be today). In the meantime, rather than being at all ashamed of this and appreciating the fact that his dogs weren't killed and his wife isn't still in custody, Johnny Depp goes home and acts like a complete tool, making fun of our immigration department and pretending that it is unreasonable.

In this interview he is encouraged by the idiot Jimmy Kimmel, and his stupid crowd full of ignorant people thinking that he should be above the law.

His ignorance in this is so clear. The fact that we have posionous animals doesn't mean that your dogs won't cause any harm. We have worked incredibly hard to get rid of certain diseases, and we have a really high number of endangered species that could be wiped out by possible things. The fact that we want to preserve our ecosystems and native species is not a bad thing, and his blatant disregard for it was infuriating. Even worse was the fact that he, the interviewer, and the audience couldn't see an issue with it, as they are so ignorant in their assumption that everyone should just bow down to the american celebrity overlords.

Fast forward to today, when we get an apology from him and his wife. I was hopeful that is might be something decent. But then we get delivered this piece of rubbish.

This is not an apology, and for such a successful actor, it is surprising that he couldn't act like he even vaguely meant what he said. It was a script written by someone else, that he was told would get him out of trouble. The general sentiment here is that this looks like a hostage video and that he thinks he's got a gun pointed at him and is being forced to say every word.

Pretty much, I'm just sick of people like him thinking they're above the law, and coming and doing whatever they want.

First note: Justin Beiber is Canadian and nobody likes that doucheclown anyways. We would all have been indebted to Australia had they tossed him in the clink for a few forevers or so.

And to be frank, your minister handled things quite poorly.

Instead of having customs officers confiscate the dogs, putting them into quarantine, and giving Depp a hefty fine for failing to comply with regulations... He makes a big deal about it by calling a full freaking press conference to make himself look good by publicly smacking an entitled actor on the hand.

You do realize that's the same as Ikaru making a big, pinned thread saying, "Hey everybody, I just warned Mde for double posting. He shall not get away with it even though he is a server auth. *Flex*", right?

Or like the police station calling a press conference to say that they gave the sheriff a parking ticket.

That was not professionally handled. If he was just doing his job instead of looking for a pat on the back, he would have handled the matter privately between the government and the Depps in the way that I mentioned. "This is what you did, this is why it is wrong, and here's how you can fix it." Shit like that would get reported in the news anyways, because celebrities doing things and getting in trouble always gets picked up by the news. No need to call a conference. Instead, he basically worked to highlight his laughable public speaking skills (not that Depp's is much better).

As a biologist, I understand the reasons for customs laws like that. It would have been harder to make fun of him if he had explained the scientific reasoning behind the necessity for euthanizing foreign animals if they weren't properly vaccinated and quarantined. Instead, you have Depp's apology to explain it slightly more.

As a public figure, of course Depp is going to downplay the significance of the situation. Like with other actors and politicians, a good public image is what keeps them employed. Which is why the studio or his pr rep made him issue an apology video in the first place.

Chances are supremely high that the dogs had the proper vaccinations anyways. Which is probably a reason why he doesn't seem to take it very seriously.

Did you really expect him to get down on his knees and beg forgiveness? Definitely one of those things where you go, "oops, sorry" and move on with your life.

Perspective.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never understood why people feel the need to celebrate a specific number of posts, "Oh my god, I've clicked submit on forum on the internet a specific number of times that only has significance due to the assignment mankind has given said amount."

ALRIGHT SO. There's this kid in my Art 2 class right??? And idk why, but for some reason, he always feels the need to argue with the whole art table. I've never been so annoyed in my entire life! He argues about really stupid things! He just gets the whole table riled up! He's so annoying! and he purposely does this too! LIke he was LOOKING UP topics to argue about!! ????? like what the heck man??? What really gets me is that he has NO REASON for being in this class! He doesn't even like art! He's in ART TWO. Which means he had to take art one! I asked him why he was in art two and he said that he "felt obligated to take art 2 after taking art 1" LIKE THAT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. And he doesn't call me "Lacey"! He just says "Lace"!! I don't even know the kid all that well!! he doesn't deserve to call me Lace!! !!! !!

Thank you. That is all...

Edited by DogHistorian

man, that art kid seems like a super douche weasel. Sounds like the type of dude who also talks real big then makes a lame ass last minute excuse to get out of what he said. I feel for ya Lacey.

My rant on the other hand is just UGHHHH WHY DO PEOPLE ALWAYS FUCKING THINK THAT JUST BECAUSE A DUDE AND A CHICK HANG OUT ALOT MEANS THEY'RE DATING OR THAT THEY HAVE FEELINGS FOR EACH OTHER OUTSIDE OF FRIENDSHIP!? THAT DUMB SHIT COST ME A RELATIONSHIP ONCE AND PUT A REAL BIG FUCKING STRAIN ON MY LAST ONE. I JUST WANNA BE ABLE TO SHARE PERSONAL STUFF, HANG OUT, AND BE CLOSE WITH MY FUCKING FRIEND, BUT NOOOOOOOOOOO SHE HAS A VAHOOHAA AND IVE GOT A WINGYWANG SO THAT MEANS WE'RE GONNA MAKE BABIES. FUCKING GROUP UP AND LET ME BE FRIENDS WITH MY FRIEND AND STOP SAYING THINGS LIKE, "BUT IT'S ONLY NATURAL TO DEVELOP FEELINGS FOR THEM BECAUSE YOUR OF THE OPPOSITE GENDER." HOW ABOUT GROW THE FUCK UP AND LET ME HANDLE MYSELF. I AM A LOYAL ASS MOTHERFUCKING BOYFRIEND, SHE HAS HAD A GODDAMN BOYFRIEND FOR OVER 4 TITTYSHITING YEARS. SHE'S INVITED ME TO THEIR GODDAMN WEDDING, AND HER AND I HAVE HAD MORE THAN ENOUGH TIME AND SITUATIONS TO DEVELOP FEELING OR EVEN TO ACT ON THEM IF WE HAD DEVELOPED THEM, BUT GUESS WHAT SHITLICKERS, THAT'S RIGHT, NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. BECAUSE HER AND I ARE FUCKING FRIENDS, NO MORE, NO LESS. SO STOP ASSUMING DUMB SHIT BECAUSE OF ALL OF THE OTHER WEAK ASS PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY HAVE TO FEEL SOMETHING AND HAVE TO TRY AND DO THE DIRTY WITH THEIR BESTY, BECAUSE THAT ISNT ALWAYS HOW STUFF HAPPENS. GODDAMN.

• 2 months later...