Street Fighter

DiLimiter

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, from what I watched of the Street Fighter evo: THEY NEED TO GET BETTER CASTERS GOD DAMN. All of the ones I watched were so shit. Quiet during the matches or talking about stupid jokes or memes and then in between matches promoting the living fuck out of chairs. But during matches? Nope can't commentate for shit.

By the way, from what I watched of the Street Fighter evo: THEY NEED TO GET BETTER CASTERS GOD DAMN. All of the ones I watched were so shit. Quiet during the matches or talking about stupid jokes or memes and then in between matches promoting the living fuck out of chairs. But during matches? Nope can't commentate for shit.

Seth Killian is usually the best hope for actual e-sports style casting, which is why he was on the ESPN stream. I didn't manage to check out the ESPN stream but I hear it went over pretty well. The thing that would put me off from the ESPN2 stream would be dumbing it down for the non-FGC audience. I don't remember if he casted pools or day 2, only people I remember being totally attentive to were Zhi & Skisonic. Zhi's usually okay but it felt like he was drunk this whole event or something. He probably went too ham on the drinks at BarFights lol

Honestly, I thought Sajam and James Chen were pretty decent during Top 8.

If you thought Sajam/James Chen and/or Seth Killian/Mike Ross was bad, then you're in for a world of disappointment. These guys are honestly, in my opinion, four of the best casters in the business. Ultra David is also very much like these guys, but he opted to be part of the crowd during top 8 this year instead of casting (probably just missed the feeling). All of these guys have upped the quality of the games that I've watched and, to top it off, they actually play the game so they understand it. Most of the time whenever one slips up, the other person is there to immediately correct the mistake. And as for advertising chairs, well...they have a responsibility as they are sponsored by Vertigear along with many other companies.

Casters have so many responsibilities, especially when it comes to Top 8 of a tournament--not to mention it being the largest fighting game tournament of the year. The fact that these guys are able to commentate so well and calmly (most of the time) in front of a crowd this huge is a testament to how long they've been doing this.

Also, I'm sad that there wasn't really a lot of character diversity in Top 8. 3 Nash and 2 Chuns. Then the last 3 were Vega, Mika, and Ken. Like, people talk about how balanced this game is all the time, but my goodness does professional play make these character look MUCH better than the rest of the cast.

Edited by DiLimiter

Random question: If you could have the moveset and powers of any character in the series, who would you pick?

I would probably pick SFV Nash. I'd love to throw Sonic Booms for no reason, and his V-Trigger could be really useful to have.

Ultra David is also very much like these guys, but he opted to be part of the crowd during top 8 this year instead of casting (probably just missed the feeling). All of these guys have upped the quality of the games that I've watched and, to top it off, they actually play the game so they understand it.

David casted MKXL Top 8 with Ares so I'd imagine that's why he wasn't doing Street Fighter. I have no idea which casters you've been watching in the past, all the casters in the FGC play the games they cast o.o Only disconnects I've seen in the FGC would be between the Anime, Smash and Traditional Fighters not knowing what the narratives are between communities.

David casted MKXL Top 8 with Ares so I'd imagine that's why he wasn't doing Street Fighter. I have no idea which casters you've been watching in the past, all the casters in the FGC play the games they cast o.o Only disconnects I've seen in the FGC would be between the Anime, Smash and Traditional Fighters not knowing what the narratives are between communities.

Have you heard SkiSonic's casting? He may play the game but my god is he wrong with just about every other thing that he says.

Random question: If you could have the moveset and powers of any character in the series, who would you pick?

I would probably pick SFV Nash. I'd love to throw Sonic Booms for no reason, and his V-Trigger could be really useful to have.

I think I would like either Urien's or Cody's move-set/powers. Urien only if I could yell crush, kill, destroy and all that when I do an attack.

Ultra Chen is my favorite caster pair for watching streams for SF and MvC, they've been doing it since before I came into the FGC scene back in 2010, Mike Ross is also good as a caster.

Ultra Chen is my favorite caster pair for watching streams for SF and MvC, they've been doing it since before I came into the FGC scene back in 2010, Mike Ross is also good as a caster.

Oh yeah, I think there's almost no doubt that they are considered the casting duo when it comes to Street Fighter and the like. Each game seems to have their definitive casters anymore tho. With Tekken we have Aris, Melee has Bobby Scar and Toph, etc.

Have you heard SkiSonic's casting? He may play the game but my god is he wrong with just about every other thing that he says.

lol okay that's fair, but Skisonic plays the game at least.

Mike Ross' style is pretty different to UltraChen though. Mike Ross has always been the entertainment colour caster while UltraChen are usually the serious esports-type kind of commentating. If it was down to me, I'd probably go watch Combofiend if I had the choice because I'm less interested in the specifics and just looking for a good time with the FGC (and hot damn do I miss his Spencer). I think he did go for more of a serious approach with Evo this year which I feel is a bit of a shame though; his trash talk in MvC used to be real fun. FGC's growing up I guess. For the casual streams bring on drunk Floe any day of the week.

Man, I hate how they made her effects some kind of dull silver instead of her trademark purple/pink.

"But it makes sense cuz the lore says-"

NO, FECK YOU. I DON'T CARE WHAT STREET FIGHTER LORE SAYS; IT'S NEVER MADE SENSE WITH THE GAMES SO WHY ARE THEY APPLYING IT NOW?

Edited by DiLimiter

I assume the reason is story-related but it could be for clarity as well.

For the argument of story: The Feng Shui Engine was the source of the purple "ki" in Street Fighter IV. The type alpha Engine is completely different from the old one, which was destroyed in her fight with Bison (the new one was salvaged from an S.I.N lab and tinkered with by Juri herself). As a different version, it functions a little differently and alters her ki as a result.

For the argument of clarity: There's a lot of purple shit flying around in this game as it is. I assume ths silver "ki" color helps Juri differentiate herself from other characters like M.Bison; it seems miniscule from a competitive standpoint, but it would suck to get some kind of VFX from one of Juri's attacks, like a fireball, lost in the middle of something that Bison is tossing out while in V-Trigger, or as Bison, you didn't see what move you got hit with because the colors blended.

Eh, I believe, more specifically, that she took the prototype that Seth was using or something along those lines. Idk, Street Fighter lore is a mess.

I can understand competitive clarity and I'll grant that to them. I'll whine and moan about it, but being able to distinguish attributes of one character from another is what comes first. I hope that they did make it that way for the latter reasoning and not just because of whatever messed up lore they've decided to follow.

Eyyyo, we made Silver. I'm no longer among the scrubbiest of scrubs unless I get sent back down. I'm kind of curious though, how many points would you say a "good" player has in ranked? I know online's not the perfect test of actual skill and all, but I'm trying to gauge my progress. I just hit 2000 tonight, and I'm wondering where the average "familiar with Street Fighter" person sits.

Honestly it's all kind of a grey area when it comes to knowing what a good player is. Most top tier players who are going to play online have played online and are in their proper rankings. Honestly, to consider yourself average, you're going to be at least gold. If you want to be considered above average to actually being really good at the game, then you're platinum and above. This does have an exception to rage-quitters and bots and such.