Communication is The Key to a Healthy Relationship

AuthorReborn

Now, you've probably heard tons of people say this before, but allow me to reiterate this fact:

Communication is vital to any relationship.

And here's the part where I prove it.

The other day, I was having lunch with a friend and I had just formatted a reply to the Ymora IC thread. For those of you who are unaware, Ymora is an awesome Pokémon roleplay run by Chim and Dobby. Anyway, I had just written up a reply to it after my previous reply had been utter trash. I felt terrible that it had been so terrible, so I decided to make it clear in my post that my character felt terribly guilty, and doing so allowed me to absolve myself of the guilt and thrust it upon my character, Arthur (who should have had it anyway). I had felt pretty awesome about my absolution at the hands of my writing, in fact, one might even say I was near giddy, simply because guilt is a terrible thing to have and to do away with it is to grow wings. And so, I, unable to contain my joy, mentioned to my friend that I had screwed something up and that I had just fixed it. I didn't mention the topic because then we would end up in a fake argument where we would simply be making fun of how dorky the other was. Eventually, lunch came to a close and we ended up going our separate ways.

Fast forward a bit and it's later into the afternoon. My friend happened to mention the encounter at lunch to my girlfriend, who was had been at a funeral that day and thus wasn't a lunch. She immediately begins to fret because my friend had passed on that I had said that I "screwed up" somehow and she began to worry unnecessarily because that's how relationships work. You worry when you definitely shouldn't, because just what if it did happen? What would happen then? Anyway, she began to worry and couldn't think about anything except that particular phrase and its potential implications.

When she finally tracks me down, it's about six in the evening. She asks if anything's wrong and so I obviously reply "No, why do you ask?" since I had actually felt pretty good since I sorta rectified my mistakes in Ymora. She explained what she had been feeling and what she had heard and I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I quickly filled her in that it was literally just about Pokémon and that she had absolutely nothing to worry about. We both laughed about my vague wording and her ridiculous, needless, and yet sweet, concern.

Moral of the Story/TL;DR: If you have something to tell someone, for the love of all things good and holy, just tell them because if you don't, you allow invisible barriers to go up between you. It's much better if you are simply honest.

i fucking hate the fact that you all dont accept john cena as your lord and savior

there

communicated

okay, serious talk here.

when you were here the first time, you were like a lost puppy looking for someone to follow home.

the second time you were here, you were angsty af with an attitude

now you're back again and obsessed with the John Cena meme.

I'm concerned about your mental health.

• Administrators

Trust and respect are major players too, but agreed that communication is paramount.

As an example of communication failure, there was a girl I liked for a couple years and we became really, really close friends. However, some time last year I decided that it probably wasn't going to go anywhere, and so I forced myself to get over and take space from her. She was a lot more upset than I thought she would be, but I figured that was just because I was her best friend.

Fast forward to this year, and I found out that the entire time last year, she thought that we were actually a couple. I would've loved that, but I had no idea, and in taking spacing apparently broke up with her, also having no idea.

I managed to go through an entire relationship not even knowing I was in one, because of lack of communication.

God bless.