How the heck do you beat Narcissa...

coralchu

I mean... I know she's supposed to have been nerfed, but I'm playing update six in normal mode and I can't beat her. The haunted field makes ghost supereffective against normal... And Ghostly Wail, as I just found out, not only has a chance of increasing defense (seriously, that Mismagius is hard enough without the defense boost...I can't get past it at all), but it turns a Holy Field right back into a Haunted one.

Just... How (and why). I mean, apparently you can't rely on a Sawsbuck due to the field. Was that something that was changed? I saw some people talking about Sawsbuck when I tried to look up how to beat her...

Does anybody have any tips for version 6? I've been stuck for a while now and can't advance.

(If possible, I'd like to stick to Trevenant, Vivillon, Meowstic-M, Zebstrika, Houndoom, Prankster Liepard (barely raised, can breed if absolutely necessary but would rather not), Protean Greninja, and maybe Sawsbuck.)

So far I've found that the best strategy with my team is:

1. soft reset until her Drifblim doesn't get in Hypnosis or Tailwind and kill it with Smack Downs from Greninja

2. She always brings out Chandelure, so I send out Houndoom... Bite until she switches into Rotom, use Trevenant as a pivot to take Thunderbolt so Greninja is switching into a Ghostly Wail instead

3. outstall Rotom with Lemonades

4. send Houndoom back in to take care of her Chandelure, which she then sends back out

But then she sends in Mismagius, and I can't get past it. I thought about luring her into giving Houndoom a Flash Fire boost, but I don't think it would be enough to kill it before Houndoom faints. Trevenant can't take a hit from it (at least not after the damage from being a pivot), so Destiny Bond is out... And then she has two more pokemon as well, and I have no idea what they do.

Edited by coralchu

I have my Pyroar, she cant do nothing to me, even with that Aegislash(sorry, Doublade) and its fighting moves, few Noble Roar basically crippled her enough to annihilate her team~You should build your Normal type team to render her Ghost type STAB useless, Raticate in her gyms and Linoone on Wispy Path might be of help~ I usually use Sawsbuck as stall for its Horn Leech-Leech Seed combo, Mismagius has nth against it unless it packed HP ice or fire~

Edited by TimTim

Well, I won using my Mismagius and Tangrowth as attackers and two Eeveelutions (Espeon and Sylveon) and an Emolga as support...

In my opinion, it's best to use a fast Ghost while her field is up, and to include a field-breaker on your team to let Dark-types and Fairy-types hit for normal damage, which becomes super-effective based on the matchup on her team.

Edited by Drymus

Well, I won using my Mismagius and Tangrowth as attackers and two Eeveelutions (Espeon and Sylveon) and an Emolga as support...

In my opinion, it's best to use a fast Ghost while her field is up, and to include a field-breaker on your team to let Dark-types and Fairy-types hit for normal damage, which becomes super-effective based on the matchup on her team.

I am curious as to how to make full use of Tangrowth in Narcissa gym other than Trick Room support and Sylveon light screen, it is too slow to act and special side is fragile~Enlighten me so that next time i can use it on my team if i ever run grass mono~

Edited by TimTim

I am curious as to how to make full use of Tangrowth in Narcissa gym other than Trick Room support, it is too slow to act and special side is fragile~Enlighten me so that next time i can use it on my team if i ever run grass mono~

Wait... I messed that up. This is how it really went, thanks for pointing that out.

Mismagius swept 4/6 of her team after support from Espeon and Sylveon (Light Screen and Flash, plus her own Nasty Plot), finally falling to Narcissa's Mismagius, which was a level higher and had better speed. Then it was Sylveon v Mismagius, and I had more potions, so Sylveon beat Mismagius and set the field to Holy. Tangrowth tanked a nerfed Sludge Wave from Gengar and OHKO'd it with Knock Off.

Thanks for the tips... Though maybe I'm missing something but the haunted field causes her Ghostly Wail to hit normal types, right? At least, that's how it's been for me when I've tried to swap in a spare Deerling as fodder (it also says it hits them for supereffective in the manual)...

Any particular strategy for getting Flash before? I hadn't thought about using Mist, though... Maybe it works better...

(Does anyone know all of her pokemons' genders by the way? I can't remember if they were set... And Ghostly Wail is a Special Attack, right?)

Oh for cryin out loud...

You are given TWO useful things beforehand

1. A scrappy Pancham via quests

2. Bulk Up

Other than potions it shouldn't be too hard.

I started on version 6. I don't get Bulk Up by this gym (unless there's something I don't know about). I got the TM "Stacking Shot" instead.

Edited by coralchu

Thanks for the tips... Though maybe I'm missing something but the haunted field causes her Ghostly Wail to hit normal types, right? At least, that's how it's been for me when I've tried to swap in a spare Deerling as fodder (it also says it hits them for supereffective in the manual)...

I started on version 6. I don't get Bulk Up by this gym (unless there's something I don't know about). I got the TM "Stacking Shot" instead.

Work up also works too(no pun intended) and pancham/pangoro learns it by leveling up, stacking shot as its name implies also increases attack, and that scrappy+stacking shot can be devastating, and you are right about the field effect, i rechecked the manual, sorry for the misinfo, i probably use noble roar more than i can count that she barely scratched me? or horn leech and leech seed drain enough to cover the damages that i didnt notice the super effectiveness? Bulk up is indeed replaced by stacking shot in V6~

Edited by TimTim

Work up also works too(no pun intended) and pancham/pangoro learns it by leveling up, stacking shot as its name implies also increases attack, and that scrappy+stacking shot can be devastating, and you are right about the field effect, i rechecked the manual, sorry for the misinfo, i probably use noble roar more than i can count that she barely scratched me? or horn leech and leech seed drain enough to cover the damages that i didnt notice the super effectiveness? Bulk up is indeed replaced by stacking shot in V6~

Ahhh, okay, thanks. That works then, though I would slightly prefer not to raise a Pangoro... Out of curiosity, do you EV train? I wonder if that could be related...

On a slightly different note for a different mon, does encore last for three turns in this? She seems to give several opportunities to use it. I imagine it would cause the AI to switch, though.

Edited by coralchu

Ahhh, okay, thanks. That works better then... Out of curiosity, do you EV train? I wonder if that could be related...

On a slightly different note for a different mon, does encore last for three turns in this? She seems to give several opportunities to use it. I imagine it would cause the AI to switch, though.

I am not sure about encore~As to whether I EV train, not necessarily, more often i soft reset or breed for better IVs and nature as they meant more to me and most of the wild encounters in current version gives attack and speed EVs anyway, special attack EVs are harder to get in comparison~Any mon with sustainable amount of HP and special defense would do if you dont wanna use pangoro~

Edited by TimTim

I am not sure about encore~As to whether I EV train, not necessarily, more often i soft reset or breed for better IVs and nature as they meant more to me and most of the wild encounters in current version gives attack and speed EVs anyway, special attack EVs are harder to get in comparison~Any mon with sustainable amount of HP and special defense would do if you dont wanna use pangoro~

Hmmm... What about Lanturn? That HP is pretty massive and it can switch in on her Thunderbolts for free healing. Lanturn could spam Flash and TWave and use parafusion, and I believe it also gets Eerie Impulse (though I probably won't be able to use that as I'd need a Heart Scale)... Soak+Discharge looks pretty useful here, too. (never mind, that last is way too time-consuming to breed at this point in the game)

Edited by coralchu

Hmmm... Lanturn? I don't know what's sustainable here, but that HP is pretty massive and it can switch in on her thunderbolts for free healing. Lanturn could spam Flash and TWave and use parafusion, and I believe it also gets Eerie Impulse...

Luck has never been too kind to me so i seldom use parafusion as they always happened to break through confusion, TWave and Flash along can get job done as half of narcissa's gym are speedy mons, other than that Rotom which cannot be paralyzed due to typing~Jellicent also has great HP and sp defense and as Drymus said, if you manage to set up light screen to support the weakness, it can also live long enough to take down Chandelure etc~

If I'm not mistaken, she leads with a Driftblim or some other mon without Ghostly Wail. Perfect set up bait. Misdeed us spammed Flash to lower its accuracy and change the field in my favor. Then Swoobat boosted to +6 and swept her.

She leads with Driftblim, it has Ghostly Wail.

Was super easy, only took me 2 tries.

First try I got destroyed because of sleep + dream eater + broken field effect

2nd time through I led with sylveon and used moonblast and to me surprise it changed the field to the holy field, which got rid of narcissa's broken ass feild.

Then i proceed to sweep with Hariyama's guts boosted super effective knock off. (just outside the gym, there is a pokemon breeder with 3 audino's who have the move super power which has a chance to paralyze. I just had hari spam fakeout on them until they paralyzed it, then killed them with close combat. )

I finally beat this biiiitchhhhh.

the_team.jpg

Led with Garbadour for toxic spikes, switched to Golem for Stealth Rock. Switched to Houndoom and SPAMMED Howl nonestop. Swept up to Gengar, Houndoom got lvl 41 off his sweep and disobeyed me, got killed by sludge wave (I was sooooo pissseeed). Misdreveous got one shot by gengar. Liepard got one Night Slash before dying, Trevenant got off Leech Seed before he died. Switch to golem, killed Gengar, switched to Garbador to give Poison Spikes poison time to whittle away at Spiritbomb. Switched out prior to a dream eater, killed Spirtbomb.

Reactionarilly saved, went to hit screen cap, hit f12, FLIPPED THE FUCK OUT before I remembered I saved.

FINALLY, DEAR GOD FINALLY. This one fight was the hardest thing in the game for me thus far. I litterally went through my entire box, trashed all none-event pokemon with crappy IVs, went out and soft-reset captured everything to have decent IV's (found a shiny Pansage, critted a shiny pidgeotto, FUCKING RAN AWAY from a shiny Trubish), trained a few pokemon, then tried my hand at her again. This whole part, from Keta up to now, has just basically been one whole boss rush, one boss event after another after another. Its been rough mang.

Edit: Next we have Apprentice Nim, with no heal before the battle, with pokemon all magically 5 levels higher than mine. *sigh*, back to Pokemon Breeder Linda, again.

Edited by WavesBlade