book suggestions

Samtale

• Developers

Im kind of interest in what types of books people like around here apologize if there is already a topic of this nature.

So I was thinking maybe somebody tell a type of they like e.g.(alice in wonderland) and the next poster recommend books like that and then after that put a book you like and see if the next poster has a recommendation.

While its not a book per say but does anyone have recommendation for books similar to H.P. Lovecrafts work?

I read this in college a few years back; The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. It's about this boy who walks down the street one morning to find one of his neighbor's dog dead. He then goes out of his way to try and who did it. This takes him all around his hometown and he ends up discovering some dark secret about his family.

It's highly suggested throughout the book that the boy may be autistic through some of the actions he takes, the things he says, and most importantly how he thinks. This works great in the book since it takes place from his perspective. The book is also meant to be somewhat humorous as well. I read it in college and absolutely loved it, and I'm not even that big of a book guy.

I read this in college a few years back; The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. It's about this boy who walks down the street one morning to find one of his neighbor's dog dead. He then goes out of his way to try and who did it. This takes him all around his hometown and he ends up discovering some dark secret about his family.

It's highly suggested throughout the book that the boy may be autistic through some of the actions he takes, the things he says, and most importantly how he thinks. This works great in the book since it takes place from his perspective. The book is also meant to be somewhat humorous as well. I read it in college and absolutely loved it, and I'm not even that big of a book guy.

Maybe if you have some sort of background that is familiar with symptoms of autism. I'm not saying you have anything to tell us but... I don't know that I would not have picked up anything other than some thought processes wouldn't be considered normal.

Maybe if you have some sort of background that is familiar with symptoms of autism. I'm not saying you have anything to tell us but... I don't know that I would not have picked up anything other than some thought processes wouldn't be considered normal.

I actually do have a background familiar with autism, for I'm actually autistic myself. Heck, maybe that's another reason I liked this book so much, because I could relate to the protagonist in a way I don't often see in fiction.

• Support Squad

Dresden files, go read.

Witty, insightful, a vast host of good characters that continues to build over every single one of the hefty 15 books and a way of putting action into the series in a way that is more engaging to me than some tv shows. Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Very good book, I sent that to my cousin who has Asperger's, I read it Sophomore year of IB English. Some other great reads include the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini, A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) saga, The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings boo

Edited by Avatar of Grima

I'd have to recommend the Kingkiller Chronicles Where's the third book and the Sword of Truth series if you're into fantasy. Those are two of my favorite series, although they're very different. Without spoiling anything, the Kingkiller Chronicles are about an innkeeper who tells the story of Kvothe, who has become notorious in the modern age but is nowhere to be found, to Chronicler, a man who collects the life stories of notable people. It's an amazingly good read, and while the second book dropped the ball a bit, I still enjoyed it overall. Sword of Truth tells the story of Richard Cypher, a simple woodsman thrust into the role of the Seeker, which is a chosen warrior who wields the Sword of Truth. The description may sound a bit cheesy, but I assure the books are anything but that.

Finally, if you're up for a very dark adult fantasy (Actually these are all categorized as adult fantasy for good reason, but this one even more so), I'd recommend Dusk and its sequel, Dawn. They have a gruesome attention to detail at points, but I found the story and the lore to be riveting. I'd definitely recommend it if you can handle a post-apocalyptic gore-heavy setting.

House of Leaves is super confusing but really good once you decipher it, I wouldn't say it's Lovecrafitan, but the vibe it gives off is pretty similar.

Yeeeeeeess. I'm usually not much of a reader cause I tend to lose interest rather quickly, but I finished this one in almost 2 sit-downs, it's a great read.