Transhumanism and your opinion on it

Gaunt

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the point?

Unless peoples find a way to make this so we can explore space moar or fix things on the planet then we're all gunna die out anyway. Sure go ahead because yay! But if we're all still going to keep killing the world slowly, or even start wars over this then there is no point if we're all going to kill each other. I could care less because it's not giving me any supa fire powers for anything since I'll just burn moar things down with that. But yeah, unless this change enables us to go to other habitual planets or give us a way to not need as much from the Earth so we can start fixing it more, then there isn't much of a point other than- well I guess making paralyzed people able to move again would be good, but still as an "evolutionary change" it's pointless in my view.

At what point do we declare that cybernetic attachments are crossing the line? Although there would certainly be a few benefits, mainly through health (e.g. some kind of cancer detector) but what's the fun in getting robotic arms? This is kind of personal, but what happens to all of my favorite sports? Can I not play water polo anymore due to all the metal parts? Are all humans required to get these? And if that becomes mandatory, what's the point of individualism in our species if we just program everything?

Also I was expecting a topic about "Dragon-kin" and such from the topic name, and boy would THAT be an interesting answer.

Edited by BIGJRA

Man, you are all so afraid.

Simple is a matter of perspective. Bacteria is simple. We are not. We are complex. We are complex because we are capable of interacting with and manipulating our environment. This is just more of the same.

Maybe it's not for everyone but for those who can adapt to this change, it opens an incredible host of new possibilities. It is simple historical fact that those who resist change the most are left in the dust and then overtaken by everyone else. Just look at the Middle East, Africa, 'native' races on each continent.

Sure, there will be issues that come up, but there will be different approaches and solutions as well. Humanity has stopped evolving physically. Hereditary diseases are coped with and physical and mental issues persist instead of being weeded out as they once were. This is both strength and weakness of living together as a society.

I'm for the idea of directing and controlling changes. Just because we change doesn't mean we reckless and heedlessly toss away moral values at the same time. Even as I changed from catholic to atheist, there were still many moral foundations that I kept with me. Because they still work but have a different, rational explanation to back them.

That logical foundation doesn't just vanish. Especially when logic is the force behind these technological advances.

If you cannot mentally adapt to physical changes, you will be weeded out and humanity will evolve mentally without you. Make no mistake, there will be losses and gains with modification. You will have to figure out the best route for you.

Popular references:

Cyborg, teen titans

Gattaga

I agree with you to an extent, but let's not compare genocide and the purposeful underdevelopment of a continent to societal change.

Edited by Neo

I actually don't have a problem with metallic enhancements that rectify medical predicaments - that would only do a whole lot of good for people that would normally struggle to live.

My objection comes with stupid shit like making every one have angel wings and guns for arms. We're not quite at a point where that's even remotely needed today.

Thank you all for your answers people (even the negative ones) i'm surprised at the fact that this idea doesn't get as much opposition as i thought it would (and that some actually support it like i am). Still i want to remind you that while these "upgrades" can be dangerous and certainly will be used to do bad things they can do good too (so that balances things a little) anyway i'm not trying to change your point of view so if you have some (constructive) critique and concerns feel free to express them.

^ this guy beat me to it. I was going to said this on response to @Gore.

This movement have the potential of ending disability.

Do you know how huge that is?

Go to the video I posted here, around 0:42, the girl playing the instrument. That girl was on the news few years ago. She was 100% deaf until that day. Hearing music sounds tear her up!

The people that disagree with this are just living in the past.

Dude, stop with those "the people who disagree with this are ______" type of comments. I could also state a bunch of things about the people who agree with this, like "ppl who agree with this are sci-fi movie nerds who actually know nothing!!1" and it wouldn't change my argument one bit.

I studied biology/geology as well as physics/chemistry and got a 15 and 17 (out of 20) on the respective exams this summer, which is pretty high considering how stupidly hard the national school system is here. Now I'm not trying to brag or anything, but rather, what I'm trying to say is that I'm pretty aware of the consequences something as huge as this would have, not just the bad ones.

Despite my subjective viewpoint on this matter, I really don't mind improvements in medicine and whatnot; in fact, things like those cause absolutely no harm so I completely support them. The problem here is that, as others have stated, you have to draw a fucking line and know exactly at what point you are still human and not some drone who's completely powerless without all of that tech. And as Hilda stated, as cool as wings or machine guns that replace your arms may sound, they're completely fucking retarted in reality. Save it for the games, guys.

Not only that, but if you guys are all in for this regardless of anything at all you're clearly missing the bigger picture here. The first thought one might have is "COOL-ASS ROBOTS AND BEING ABLE TO LIVE ON ANOTHER PLANET WHY NOT", but here's how it'd actually be like:

- nation x gets ahold of extremely powerful technology before the others

- said nation is in advantage and can easily threaten the rest of the world, not only to get money and basically fuck up the distribution of goods even more than it already is, but it can also create armies abusing said tech and control the world

And this isn't even much comparing to how many other things can be done to put the society/world in chaos and total disarray. It's just the first and most simple example I could pull out of my head right now. I don't think I need to mention any more, since, as I said, you can come up with them yourselves.

Basically, such advances just do NOT work with humanity. Be realistic, imagine that yesterday this actually happened. Do you think everyone in earth would be all happy about it and conveniently go along with it? Think again lmao.

Also, on future posts, please refrain from using arguments like "nahhh man it'd all work out somehow", calling someone who doesn't support this close-minded/afraid of change or acting like a massive sci-fi fanboy/girl. Instead, try to properly justify why such advances in technology would be fine overall.

Not only that, but if you guys are all in for this regardless of anything at all you're clearly missing the bigger picture here. The first thought one might have is "COOL-ASS ROBOTS AND BEING ABLE TO LIVE ON ANOTHER PLANET WHY NOT", but here's how it'd actually be like:

- said nation is in advantage and can easily threaten the rest of the world, not only to get money and basically fuck up the distribution of goods even more than it already is, but it can also create armies abusing said tech and control the world

And this isn't even much comparing to how many other things can be done to put the society/world in chaos and total disarray. It's just the first and most simple example I could pull out of my head right now. I don't think I need to mention any more, since, as I said, you can come up with them yourselves.

Basically, such advances just do NOT work with humanity. Be realistic, imagine that yesterday this actually happened. Do you think everyone in earth would be all happy about it and conveniently go along with it? Think again lmao.

Also, on future posts, please refrain from using arguments like "nahhh man it'd all work out somehow", calling someone who doesn't support this close-minded/afraid of change or acting like a massive sci-fi fanboy/girl. Instead, try to properly justify why such advances in technology would be fine overall.

The geo-political implications of this technology (or any relating technologies) aren't nearly as big as you're making them. Life ain't Ghost in Shell, fam. If anything transhumanist technologies will lead to a further scientific cooperation between nations at best, and an uneasy peace (as is the case with atomic technology) at worst, as the benefit far outweighs any sort of "I'm gonna throw my weight around" philosophy.

Edited by Neo

The first thought one might have is "COOL-ASS ROBOTS AND BEING ABLE TO LIVE ON ANOTHER PLANET WHY NOT", but here's how it'd actually be like:

And this isn't even much comparing to how many other things can be done to put the society/world in chaos and total disarray. It's just the first and most simple example I could pull out of my head right now.

This scenario is already happening, right now we have technologies that could easily destroy the world (the atomic bomb for example) and somehow we're still alive, like someone already said regulations will be made (just like always)

Ninjed

that was the first example i could think of at the time. don't quote me on it as i'm not good or interested in social studies and whatnot. but either way, there are many other flaws i can think of, some of which have already been mentioned by me or other people in this thread. so i'm not going to take the time to write about them, as they'll most likely be brought up to discussion at some point.

You wouldn't be any less human because of replacing your limbs with mechanical ones than you would be if you simply lost all your limbs - that is to say, you'd be 100% human. The things most people consider their intrinsic traits are stored in their brains. Thought experiment! If you were turned into a vampire, would you still consider yourself human?

Going to tackle some of your statements

The problem here is that, as others have stated, you have to draw a fucking line and know exactly at what point you are still human and not some drone who's completely powerless without all of that tech.

You aren't "human" without feelings mate. No matter how much tech you have on you, you are still a human being. They may has well create a robot that kills people

And as Hilda stated, as cool as wings or machine guns that replace your arms may sound...

Robotic arms are already a thing mate, look it up

hmm, how come no one have drop the Atomic Bomb? Also, the Atomic Bomb is the worst tech that will EVER be created. One more thing, such technology doesn't get created ever so easily. It will be a collaboration of multiples agencies around the world. Peace treaties/laws will be made once again for all the new techs

Also, on future posts, please refrain from using arguments like "nahhh man it'd all work out somehow", calling someone who doesn't support this close-minded/afraid of change or acting like a massive sci-fi fanboy/girl.

I think you missed it...I'm pretty sure I reference @Maelstrom reply has my response answer.

EDIT: Ninja by Neo on the Atomic Bombs

Edited by Kiryuu

Nowhere in that statement did I even talk about robotics. Do you mean to say that replacing your hand for a turret is already a thing?

If so, my argument is that there is no immediate need for such appendage. Just because it may or may not already exist, there's not a need for it to be in existence.

I actually don't have a problem with metallic enhancements that rectify medical predicaments - that would only do a whole lot of good for people that would normally struggle to live.

My objection comes with stupid shit like making every one have angel wings and guns for arms. We're not quite at a point where that's even remotely needed today.

This is my sentiments as well. So long as they are for someone's well being and not their amusement, I'm ok with it.

Nowhere in that statement did I even talk about robotics. Do you mean to say that replacing your hand for a turret is already a thing?

I was talking about the robotic arms you use in case you lose your arm or something. They are control by the nerves system and everything!

Sorry for the confusion

If so, my argument is that there is no immediate need for such appendage. Just because it may or may not already exist, there's not a need for it to be in existence.

I won't be surprise if we see this by next year. Robotic arms control by nerves systems are already a thing has I said before.

Agree that aren't needed

I wouldn't be surprised either, but I don't think hand turrets are an immediately necessary step, regardless of "progress" being made now or in the near future, replacing lost arms with robotic ones controlled by the nervous system does already happen, and that improves medical condition, which I said I was okay with.

Given I had the money to do this... HELL YEAH! I probably wouldn't be in it due to physical limitations, though. I'd be more concerned about the human mind and where it would go with these enhancements. Damn, that's actually really scary... Imagine Mecha-HItler from Wolfenstein 3D. But in real life. And even more nuts.

Of course, I would probably end up deciding to buy something stupid, like a spot to keep cake in my arm (anyone?).

being the person who doesn't have a real knee and part of bone I'd only want some kind of robotic leg so I could once again do all the

things I could do before with it. So yeah I don't want those op stuff and super strength

For those of you video game fans out there, did you watch the first trailer for Call of Duty: Black Ops 3? I feel that predicts the results of transhumanism if we go through with it. A shit load of controversy will come from something like that, maybe out of the fear that these "genetically superior" human beings will think way less of us, since it that context, we are all "geneticallly inferior". Odds are, it may become common pratice in the future, and maybe the "inferior" people will be persecuted for it. There's also a movie I know I've seen before, but can't recall the title, where the main character lives in a world where the norm is parents choosing the besg genes of their child. And he was made what he calls "the old-fashioned way" (his parents did the old dance of life and he popped out). He is persecuted for the whole movie since he is literally inferior to everyone else. He wanted to really be an astronaut, so he joined the company and went under the ruse of this handicapped former Olympic swimmer (and he's a superior one), who tried to commit suicide but failed because of his pride. The "superior" ones might have a large sense of pride, and it could be catastrophic if they lose.

In all, I think we should take off the Occulus Rift on this matter, because shiet is prolly gonna get real.

And now that I'm noticing it, someone actually has the Black Ops 3 trailer up already.

What's the point?

Unless peoples find a way to make this so we can explore space moar or fix things on the planet then we're all gunna die out anyway. Sure go ahead because yay! But if we're all still going to keep killing the world slowly, or even start wars over this then there is no point if we're all going to kill each other. I could care less because it's not giving me any supa fire powers for anything since I'll just burn moar things down with that. But yeah, unless this change enables us to go to other habitual planets or give us a way to not need as much from the Earth so we can start fixing it more, then there isn't much of a point other than- well I guess making paralyzed people able to move again would be good, but still as an "evolutionary change" it's pointless in my view.

Kill the world more slowly when we can operate more efficiently than we ever could before. Indeed. Postpone the apocalypse. Vegetarians have been harping on this point for years. I mean what with the higher level of energy required to sustain higher and higher level predators in the world, considering that we are the apex predators of every single example. Wars are a matter of both history and strength. The united states has both on its side. The ability to withstand space travel and time = the ability to go to other planets and inhabit them. Your pessimism does not actually hinder progress- it fuels it.

For those of you video game fans out there, did you watch the first trailer for Call of Duty: Black Ops 3? I feel that predicts the results of transhumanism if we go through with it. A shit load of controversy will come from something like that, maybe out of the fear that these "genetically superior" human beings will think way less of us, since it that context, we are all "geneticallly inferior". Odds are, it may become common pratice in the future, and maybe the "inferior" people will be persecuted for it. There's also a movie I know I've seen before, but can't recall the title, where the main character lives in a world where the norm is parents choosing the besg genes of their child. And he was made what he calls "the old-fashioned way" (his parents did the old dance of life and he popped out). He is persecuted for the whole movie since he is literally inferior to everyone else. He wanted to really be an astronaut, so he joined the company and went under the ruse of this handicapped former Olympic swimmer (and he's a superior one), who tried to commit suicide but failed because of his pride. The "superior" ones might have a large sense of pride, and it could be catastrophic if they lose.

In all, I think we should take off the Occulus Rift on this matter, because shiet is prolly gonna get real.

And now that I'm noticing it, someone actually has the Black Ops 3 trailer up already.

The movie you are referencing is called Gattaga, which I mentioned earlier.