Reborn League Rules

UsernameSayWha

Someone brought this up earlier tonight, and he said it really wrong. (All in caps) Why can't we use legendarys in the Reborn League? We catch legendaries in game, why can't we use them? Like certain Legendaries will be banned, (Zekrom, Kyogre etc.) but, legendaries like the 3 dogs, and 3 birds shouldn't as they aren't on par with mons like Scizor, or Ferrothorn who definently arent legendaries. He also said Chomp and Blaziken, but I don't think Garchomp should be banned.

Certain Pokemon can break the balance of the game -.-

This is a competitive league, and therefore some Pokemon are banned. Get your facts right before you post something like this.

The three dogs and birds are banned as they are legendary. But if they are weak, why would you even use them?

Noobs are omnipresent.

Edited by TripleRhu

• Administrators

Yeah, he was saying that the Uber legends WOULD be banned. Things like, Articuno, completely random choice, would not.

Moreover, this is a perfectly acceptable way to ask this sort of question- and that is all he's doing. Asking, and supporting the warrant for the question.

Rhu- All legendaries are banned from league, regardless of strength.

My answer: The Reborn League was created to replicate the flavor of an in-game experience yet maintain the difficulty of facing human opponents.

Never in the games do you see a gym leader with a legendary. Therefore, I've preserved that characteristic. If this were, say a battle frontier, I would not. Naturally, being that the leader's cannot have it, I do not allow the challengers to, either, so that they may be on even ground.

This serves a double purpose as it also shifts the metagame of the league astray from the standard metagame. This is a boon because it opens people up to unique viabilities in their choices- rather than defaulting to cookie-cutter meta-teams. It also challenges the leaders to invent new strategies. For intance, our previous Steel Leader, Titania, was not allowed Heatran- She had to find other, more creative ways to counter fire type attacks.Such an act encourages diversity and critical thinking, for the small price of enhancing the presentational experience.

• Administrators

Bronzong switches in!

Typhlosion uses Flamethrower, Bronzong takes 47%

Typhlosion uses Flamethrower, Bronzong takes 49%

Bronzong uses Earthquake, it's super effective! Typhlosion takes 13%

This person doesn't have another account, as far as I'm aware.

Honestly, the league(s) are great as is. If 9 people are able to defeat it (One of them was one battle away from beating it times), then anyone can do it. It isn't like the league is asking the challenger to perform brain surgery. Either you manage to defeat the league the the requirements given, or you son't challenge it at all. Simple as that.

• Administrators
If 9 people are able to defeat it (One of them was one battle away from beating it 2 times), then anyone can do it.

10. But yes, it is entirely possible, and for some, extremely easy.

Finishing the league is a matter of having a team that you can work with without changing the moves. Does your team HAVE to be a triples team? No. Does it have to WORK in triples? Yes.

Allow me! <3

ikaru.png

Clear Bell (Bronzong) @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 4 Def / 100 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock

Kabutops 2.0 (Carracosta) (M) @ Liechi Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Standard, right? Lead with Bronzong and set up screens to allow Carracosta to come in, Shell Smash safely, and sweep dem single battles like no tomorrow.

Clear Bell (Bronzong) @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 4 Def / 100 SDef
- Gyro Ball
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock

Kabutops 2.0 (Carracosta) (M) @ White Herb
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Abiding by the restrictions set upon moves, I instead alter everything else on Carracosta, which is perfectly fine.

What's this? We now have a massive tank with further amplified defenses thanks to Bronzong's Light Screen and Reflect? Whoa, that's pretty useful in double and triple battles!

Kairyu (Dragonite) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Roost

That's one sexy Dragonite, isn't it? Oh no, here comes Hardy with his Trick Room, my team is too fast, what do I do?! D:

Kairyu (Dragonite) (F) @ Iron Ball
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Roost

End result with 0 speed IVs: 74 speed. Problem solved, and the moves remain the same.

If people read the main League page, it very clearly says the following:

4b5a67fa6f124b4883036b0.png

And that's an image, not a copy-paste. People shouldn't get mad when they weren't challenged to a single battle, because it's not up to them. In making your team for the league, this should be brought into consideration. "Should I use Stone Edge when I could use Rock Slide instead and be less helpless in triple battles?" "Is Surf a good idea when I could end up hurting myself? Maybe I could deal with Hydro Pump instead, or even Scald?" "I have Earthquake on every Pokemon, I won't stand a chance!"

Now we come to the bigger part, and the reason anyone who doesn't face this League usually tries to use against us. No legendaries? Boohoo, you can't use one or two Pokemon and actually have to deviate from your comfort zone and find something else that works. It's a rule of the league, and a condition given to everyone involved. It's not as if we're handing our Psychic leader Latios, Azelf and Jirachi and saying you can't use legends.

legendaries like the 3 dogs, and 3 birds shouldn't as they aren't on par with mons like Scizor, or Ferrothorn who definently arent legendaries.

This is a terrible argument, for at least two different reasons:

One- Sorry, but last I checked Suicune is actually extremely good, and Zapdos was OU last gen? lol they're definitely not as bad as you're making them out to be, and singling out Articuno alone is stupid because it's well known to be a pretty bad legend, as awesome as it is. It's not as if you'd use it were it allowed, and the case is the same with most of the non-uber legends as well. This leads to...

Two- Would you use Entei? Would you use Moltres? If they're "not on par" with other Pokemon, you wouldn't use them regardless, and instead you would use "mons like Scizor, or Ferrothorn."

Let's see, Heatran is a common dispute; I do believe many other things have Flash Fire, and many other Pokemon have 130 base Sp.Atk, and many other Pokemon can use Stealth Rock and Roar, and Substitute and Torment; my point is, it's not rocket science to use something else other than any given legend. The leaders are given the same restriction, and in that sense, it's still perfectly fair.

Nobody with a hint of common sense questions rules of the server, so what gives anyone the right to question the rules of the Reborn league?

If you want to fight 17 standard matches go join a monotype tournament on Smogon or the PO server, and we'll keep the main selling point of the Reborn league (that is, its uniqueness) intact. It's been running for well over, what, two years now? I think we know how we want to run the Reborn (do you get the emphasis yet?) league. Thanks.

/thread

If you consider this league restrictive - it really is not restrictive, by the way, but fair - then you ought to look at how some of the other leagues run.

Some even have a rule limiting the number of moves you have that are super-effective against whatever leader you are challenging. Granted, you can change your team for each leader, but where's the real challenge in that?

If anything, the Reborn league should be held as an example of a league that tries to encourage versatility in team-building. And since they encourage the use of non-Legendaries, they actually stimulate some creativity, really.

-_- I'm not attacking the forum. Okay. Let's say for argument sakes, I'm making a Steel team. Bronzong still gets eaten half alive by earthquake/earth power now. And again for argument sake. Let the Gym Leaders get their legends. The flying type does not do well without the choice of Landorus, Moltres, Zapdos, Tornadus etc.

• Administrators

I think the masses of challengers slaughtered by our former Flying leader Heather would beg to disagree with you. Her singles stall was just as potent as her triples tailwind, and she shot up 12 ranks almost instantly. Also, Tornadus, wut.

For the Steel part, Skarmory more than takes care of the standard Ground move- there will be basic prediction necessary, and more than that if the challenger has something like Nidoking which may have both fire and ground moves. In that sense, the lack of Heatran is better for the challenger.

That said, I'm not quite sure what your point is in either of those things.

-_- I'm not attacking the forum. Okay. Let's say for argument sakes, I'm making a Steel team. Bronzong still gets eaten half alive by earthquake/earth power now. And again for argument sake. Let the Gym Leaders get their legends. The flying type does not do well without the choice of Landorus, Moltres, Zapdos, Tornadus etc.

Ok our flying leader was the most insufferably strong bitch I've ever had the displeasure of losing to over and over and over.

Also, while here, I learned to make teams without legends-- I didn't have that before. I only have one team now which uses any legendary-- Landorus, and no, it's not a sand team.

If you consider not having legendaries as a handicap, then doesn't that only add to the challenge-- the point of a league, to push yourself to the finish in an otherwise odd environment-- of winning?

All right. I saw this at school and was laughing so hard I nearly died. Im gonna state 3 points here.

1. Opinion.jpg

Though instead of the "I" part, its more like "We"

2. Im being dead serious now. You're asking the already powerful leaders to have legendaries so that they may rip the challengers to shreds? Seriously, where the hell do you come from. Not Reborn, thats a clear fact. We have our own rules. And we are NOT changing them ANYTIME SOON FOR ANYONE WHO IS NOT a frequent member.

3. You post this when you havent even looked at the old battle logs. Have you read anyof them? I'd be willing to bet the old leaders would kick your sorry little butt anytime. Before you make wild assumtions and complaints, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE EVIDENCE TO BACK IT UP!

In case you want to know, we are not changing. I've been here since last April, and I've never asked for this. EVER. Get out, and dont come back.

inb4editbystaff