Healthy eating

Juniper

I am aware that I have started too many topics today but I have to do something in the intervals between grinding for Luna to keep my sanity SOOOOO:

Let me tell you a little bit about my breakfast.

Today, I decided I should eat something healthy, because I have vowed never to exercise for the rest of my life after my kickboxing grading (I passed, hooray for me) and I need to eat healthy or else I could.... die or something.

Anyway, there I am in my kitchen and I open up the drawer and I pull out three ingredients to make breakfast.

-Marshmallows

-Chocolate

-A cereal called "Honey Balls"

I proceeded to put all of these ingredients on a plate (It seems I have no bowls at the moment) and swiftly placed this monstrous concoction in the microwave-oven for aproximately 1 minute.

"How is this healthy?" I hear (with telepathy) you ask.

Well, Ordinarily, I would eat some cereal like "shredded wheat" or "weetabix" (eww) and put granulated (castor) sugar on it for flavor.

But today, not a single grain of granulated sugar was on my breakfast.

I'm proud of myself.

If you read this post, please feel free to discuss your overwhelming disgust at my fine-gourmet cuisine below.

Thank you for your time.

Warm regards,

Juuzou.

Healthy eating is for lame kids like Ame and Jericho. The best thing to eat for breakfast is Cookie Crisp Cereal. It is part of a well balanced breakfast. Make sure the Milk you add to the cereal has Chocolate Syrup in it.

Actually I like feasting on the remains of aborted Chickens

You like mc Donald's?

I wouldn't say I "like it" but those things are flipping everywhere you look and go... and it is food that is ready in 5-6 minutes... and affordable...

Cut down on Carbs,

Do not do this.

Because anybody who actually says that, doesn't even know what 'carbs' are. And assumes things based on incomplete knowledge.

Saccharose is a thing to cut, yes, Fructose? Yes.

Polybranched chained carbohydrates? No.

Unless you actually have read a Nutrition 101 textbook, do not attempt to cut things out based on catchy naming. Nutrition is a very, very complex subject, which can be diluted down to 'if you are normal, eat normal', but normal means 68.27% of the population. And that's for each variable there might be. You have no idea how hard it is to actually balance a diet for any of the remaining 31,73%.

It took us 2 hours to prepare a simple, 3-day meal plan, that wasn't deficient in anything, for an overweight, non-active male with high blood pressure and an allergy to nuts. (This is a 3 person team of dieticians in-training during an advanced course.)

The basics of proper nutrition are:

- 4 meals per day (5 meals is optimal. A meal is 'anything that enters your mouth').

- 0.8-1.0 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight minimum.

- ~30% of energy should come from fats, 10-15% from proteins, rest is carbohydrates (complex if possible)

- no more than 10% of energy from saturated fats

- no more than 5% from sugar (saccharine, corn syrup, high fructose syrup)

- between 27 and 40 grams of fibre per day. This is across all 5 meals. Drink water with your fibre, or you'll get clogged. Literally.

- Eat at least 3 servings of raw vegetables or fruit per day. Ideally one per meal. Favour vegetables. If you can, 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit

- Frying is bad. (both due to almost all vitamins, even those that aren't thermolabile, are made unavaliable by the heat and due to soaking up exces, unaccounted for, calories with the oil)

- Drink 2.5 liters (2/3 of a gallon) of water every day, minimum. Drink more if you can. Drink 2 glasses of water to every meal and you've got that covered.

This is basically it. Anything more complex varies from person to person. Salt isn't bad for everybody (it's actually a thing strenght athletes need to supplement), Carbs and fat aren't bad. Meat isn't bad.

And most of all - nothing is bad in moderation. And no, half a gallon of cola isn't moderation.

It's okay, I don't eat healthily. I am greatful not to have diabetes or weight issues. I guess the moral of the story is that I live unhealthily as hell and yet I'm still alive and (well..healthy.....?). Perhaps some day it'll all catch up to me 0_0

Do not do this.

Because anybody who actually says that, doesn't even know what 'carbs' are. And assumes things based on incomplete knowledge.

Saccharose is a thing to cut, yes, Fructose? Yes.

Polybranched chained carbohydrates? No.

Unless you actually have read a Nutrition 101 textbook, do not attempt to cut things out based on catchy naming. Nutrition is a very, very complex subject, which can be diluted down to 'if you are normal, eat normal', but normal means 68.27% of the population. And that's for each variable there might be. You have no idea how hard it is to actually balance a diet for any of the remaining 31,73%.

It took us 2 hours to prepare a simple, 3-day meal plan, that wasn't deficient in anything, for an overweight, non-active male with high blood pressure and an allergy to nuts. (This is a 3 person team of dieticians in-training during an advanced course.)

The basics of proper nutrition are:

- 4 meals per day (5 meals is optimal. A meal is 'anything that enters your mouth').

- 0.8-1.0 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight minimum.

- ~30% of energy should come from fats, 10-15% from proteins, rest is carbohydrates (complex if possible)

- no more than 10% of energy from saturated fats

- no more than 5% from sugar (saccharine, corn syrup, high fructose syrup)

- between 27 and 40 grams of fibre per day. This is across all 5 meals. Drink water with your fibre, or you'll get clogged. Literally.

- Eat at least 3 servings of raw vegetables or fruit per day. Ideally one per meal. Favour vegetables. If you can, 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit

- Frying is bad. (both due to almost all vitamins, even those that aren't thermolabile, are made unavaliable by the heat and due to soaking up exces, unaccounted for, calories with the oil)

- Drink 2.5 liters (2/3 of a gallon) of water every day, minimum. Drink more if you can. Drink 2 glasses of water to every meal and you've got that covered.

This is basically it. Anything more complex varies from person to person. Salt isn't bad for everybody (it's actually a thing strenght athletes need to supplement), Carbs and fat aren't bad. Meat isn't bad.

And most of all - nothing is bad in moderation. And no, half a gallon of cola isn't moderation.

Yes, I know what Carbs are. It's just for the sake of simplicity. There are the good carbs of vegetables, and the poor carbs of white breads (Wheat/whole grain are better than white but still should be taken in moderation) I took nutrition class, I ain't gonna claim to be an expert, but when explaining to other people it's easier for them to interpret it that way.

When it's all said and done you shouldn't be changing how much protein you intake whether you're looking to lose, gain, or maintain weight. Rather increase the intake of carbs and fats. The percentage will change because trying to gain weight you need to eat more everything else. But 10-15%? That's still too low. 20% for weight gain, 30% for weight loss. (Again the amount of intake shouldn't be changing much at all) Typically anywhere between 50-70 grams of protein a day depending on current weight and weight goals for men.

Fats should be about 30% most of the time and then Carbs should make up the rest (40-50% typically)

Processed sugars are bad, but sugars from real fruits are fine.

Soda is toxic, it won't kill you.... yet, but it's literally probably the worst 'edible' thing one could possibly consume.

Long story short, grain and breads you should eat less than you've been, and when you do eat them they should be Whole Grain.

But 10-15%? That's still too low. 20% for weight gain, 30% for weight loss. (Again the amount of intake shouldn't be changing much at all) Typically anywhere between 50-70 grams of protein a day depending on current weight and weight goals for men.

This is where it's pretty obvious your understanding of nutrition is pretty basic. Protein is the first thing you count and, as I wrote earlier, should be around 0.8-1g per kg of body weight. When you count out a proper diet using any BMR/BCE formula, doesn't matter which, the all come out around ~80kcal of each other for normal people, you'll end up with 11-14% of energy from protein if you do 1g/kg body weight.

Simple math - 70 grams of protein = 280 kcal. This means your total energy consumed is 1400 kcal if counting 20% energy from protein and 933 kcal if counting 30%.

Both are beyond starvation for a 70 kg male between the age of 18 and 30. In fact, both put you under your basal metabolic rate, which is 1523,86 kcal

This means you do not get enough energy to keep up your bodily functions. Which is bad.

At 70kg body weight your daily caloric expenditure, assuming you're not doing any actual movements beyond browsing facebook all day long, is 1828.632 kcal. 70 grams of protein is 15.3%.

If you actually do any work and jog on the weekends, it's 2361.983 kcal. 70 grams of protein is ~11.8% of that.

Doing 20% of energy from protein for weight gain is wasting money and enzyme economy, unless you're also supplementing anabolic androgens. Or do things like count proteins only from 'protein sources' (which is a very, very flawed naming scheme).

Doing 30% for weight loss is an invitation for failure. You will waste every bit of those 150-200 grams you'd consume and you'll be stuck with elevated amino acid catabolism for several weeks after you're done cutting.

This will inhibit your ability to utilise aminoacids for protein synthesis.

Ofcourse, I don't mean any of this to be offensive in any way. I'm just a little tired of people actually sprouting those 20-30% numbers off the top of their heads, while not knowing where they came from. (Stan Efferding, for instance, has 45% energy from protein in his diet. He's also completly reliant on injectable androgens for the rest of his life, which he openly admits).

Also soda/pop/cola is just as OK as a cigarette, doughnut, doing a 1RM in the gym or amphetamines*.

Everything's for people, everything is OK in moderation. You just need to know what moderation is.

*USA consumes the most amount of amphetamines in the world and all of it is legal perscription drugs. Adderall, the most common drug in the states, is 75% D-amphetamine salts and 25% L-amphetamine salts. Which means it's 100% amphetamine.

I don't want to get in the middle of something but unless either of you know for certain (due to some kind of actual expertise in the field of dietary science) I would recommend not getting to worked up over it. Different people eat different things, it's no big deal.

I don't want to get in the middle of something but unless either of you know for certain (due to some kind of actual expertise in the field of dietary science) I would recommend not getting to worked up over it. Different people eat different things, it's no big deal.

I am, in fact, a dietician.

I'm not getting worked up about what people eat, it's the 'cut out carbs' and '20-30% of protein in diet' posts I see everywhere that rile me up. It's simplification to the point where nothing is actualy right and everything is wrong.

If you want to eat marshallows, eat them. I also do things like buy 1.5 lbs of gummy bears and eat the whole bowl in one day. It's fine. No big deal.

But people being wrong on the internet? Hold my hugry first born son, I've got to correct them! (also license exam for my country is on saturday, writing out diet guide lines and calculating BMRs is what I'm supposed to be doing anyway, I might as well post it where somebody can read and benefit from it)

Well, I guess as long as your certain without flaw that your facts are 100% up to scratch, there's nothing wrong with a little knowledging. I just didn't want to be the creator of a thread that became a diet-deathmatch or caused any bad blood.

Edited by Juuzou