Healthy eating

Juniper

I suppose you are correct, however here's a little reading comprehension re-evaluation for you, I said 'cut carbs' not 'cut OUT carbs'. Tone back the number of Carbohydrates. I also explained why I said 'Carbs' and not simple carbs. As a whole, cut back on simple carbs, and increase complex ones.

On another note, for me personally I have a very high metabolism and will burn many more calories naturally than most folk so I have to eat more. I drink only water, so that ain't gonna help me put on weight. Since he is in fact a dietician, follow his advice over mine. I just took a Sophomore level Nutrition course a couple months ago and my mind is a bit fuzzy on particular details.

Rule of thumb as I remember it. Get yourself a target weight.

Losing weight? Target Weight x 10 KCal/lb

Maintaining weight? Target Weight x 15 KCal/lb

Gaining weight? Target Weight x 20 KCal/lb

Once I get back to school and start going back to the gym I'm going to try to aim for 3200 calories a day, but that means I'll likely have to cook so we'll see.

Do not do this.

Because anybody who actually says that, doesn't even know what 'carbs' are. And assumes things based on incomplete knowledge.

Saccharose is a thing to cut, yes, Fructose? Yes.

Polybranched chained carbohydrates? No.

Unless you actually have read a Nutrition 101 textbook, do not attempt to cut things out based on catchy naming. Nutrition is a very, very complex subject, which can be diluted down to 'if you are normal, eat normal', but normal means 68.27% of the population. And that's for each variable there might be. You have no idea how hard it is to actually balance a diet for any of the remaining 31,73%.

It took us 2 hours to prepare a simple, 3-day meal plan, that wasn't deficient in anything, for an overweight, non-active male with high blood pressure and an allergy to nuts. (This is a 3 person team of dieticians in-training during an advanced course.)

The basics of proper nutrition are:

- 4 meals per day (5 meals is optimal. A meal is 'anything that enters your mouth').

- 0.8-1.0 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight minimum.

- ~30% of energy should come from fats, 10-15% from proteins, rest is carbohydrates (complex if possible)

- no more than 10% of energy from saturated fats

- no more than 5% from sugar (saccharine, corn syrup, high fructose syrup)

- between 27 and 40 grams of fibre per day. This is across all 5 meals. Drink water with your fibre, or you'll get clogged. Literally.

- Eat at least 3 servings of raw vegetables or fruit per day. Ideally one per meal. Favour vegetables. If you can, 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit

- Frying is bad. (both due to almost all vitamins, even those that aren't thermolabile, are made unavaliable by the heat and due to soaking up exces, unaccounted for, calories with the oil)

- Drink 2.5 liters (2/3 of a gallon) of water every day, minimum. Drink more if you can. Drink 2 glasses of water to every meal and you've got that covered.

This is basically it. Anything more complex varies from person to person. Salt isn't bad for everybody (it's actually a thing strenght athletes need to supplement), Carbs and fat aren't bad. Meat isn't bad.

And most of all - nothing is bad in moderation. And no, half a gallon of cola isn't moderation.

You know, you're a terrible doppleganger.

There are three meals. You know that song that goes 'pizza in the morning, pizza in the evening, pizza at supper time!"? It's almost true. You replace pizza with meat and you've got it correct. Taco bell 4th meals are a mistake. The mistake being that the meat is from taco bell.

You could lose weight by eating nothing but mcdonald's. You just have to count calories and keep the count low. Nobody says that's healthy though

If you ain't happy with what you're eating day after day... it's because you aren't eating enough meat. You know what else is regimented like your diet? Prison.

I somehow skipped breakfast this morning... so I'm having my Breakfast for Lunch today:

and I made my patended (not really...) pseudo-Egg-McMuffins!

- Cut a Meatball in half (so you get two-servings out of one Meatball)

- toast 4 slices of bread (whitebread or whole-grain, whatever you like)

- heat up the meatball halves (either fry them in a pan or put them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes)

- fry 2 eggs from both sides, add some salt and pepper for the flavour

- fry 4 slices of Bacon (2 for each McMuffin)

when everything is ready put everything together in this order:

bread

meatball

bacon

egg

bread

it is delicious as hell and stuffing, and shouldn't take more than 3-5 minutes to make :P

• 1 month later...

This is just a health food related pet peeve, but I don't like that so much importance is placed on eating healthy (As it should, your health is important) but healthy foods are always so much more expensive than less expensive food! Ugh, I hate it!