You’ve got two choices: Marry your Girlfriend or face 15 days in Jail...

Kiryuu

That's right folks!

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/texas-judge-orders-young-man-to-marry-girlfriend-and-write-bible-verses-to-avoid-jail-time/

It is safe to said I have finally seen it all. What kind of punishment is this?? Not only he had to marry his girldfriend to avoid jail, he had to write Bible verses has well!!

The guy was like "...can I call my job to let them know I'm going to be in jail?"

Judge: "Nope..."

LMFAOOO

The judge basically gave him a choice between a life sentence and a 15 day one...

I had to share this because I couldn't believe what I was reading. This judge completely violate the First and Eighth Amendments among other shit.

Also this happen in Texas....Texas gives no shit...

• Support Squad

I mean, that really is ridiculous. I suppose the couple will have to redo the ceremony in their own unofficial way.

Hey, maybe it'll be more intimate, having the legality of it all done and out of the way so they can focus on the ceremony itself :P

I mean, that really is ridiculous. I suppose the couple will have to redo the ceremony in their own unofficial way.

Hey, maybe it'll be more intimate, having the legality of it all done and out of the way so they can focus on the ceremony itself :P

I'm pretty sure if someone suggested to this judge "Make him marry his best friend and write some Satanic Bible verses" he would be okay with it

too lmfaooo

I'm pretty sure this guy can sue...

Well... so I see the message about separation of church and state still hasn't caught on after over a good 2 centuries passing or so...

Eh, can't say I'm surprised given that...well, it's Texas.

Still though...this is all highly fucking illegal. But yet, I doubt anyone's going to care enough to actually call it out and undo this ridiculousness, unfortunately...I just hope those two's married lives won't be too terribly affected by the fact that they were pretty much forced into an early ceremony by some old man who's clearly basing his sentencings more on the christian bible rather than the american legal code like he should.

EDIT: and to those wondering- yes, apparently this bullshit is grade A Legitimate. Multiple news sites are actually running it

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/07/us/texas-judge-marriage-sentence/

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/08/07/judge-orders-texas-man-get-married-part-probation-or-go-jail

http://www.kltv.com/story/29721876/judge-sentences-east-texas-man-to-get-married-or-face-jail-time

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/08/07/3689375/jail-wedding-probation/

Imagine the jail conversation that would've happened.

"Welcome, new inmate. What are you in for?"

"I didn't propose to my girlfriend after being forced to."

"So what, arranged marriages are back?"

"Perhaps they are, punishable by law as well."

This.... What the heck is this? Not sure if it's a punishment or not.

It's in blatant violation of the US constitution and the supreme law of the land is what it is...

And also a clear indication of a still ever present failure of the concept of church and state being separated, and just one of the many issues this country continues to be plagued by from within. I really hope someone with enough power to actually get something done calls this shit out in some type of outcry, cause really... this a great example of something that should NOT be fucking happening in the courts of american society. if it were a supreme court case (which don't even get me started on how it could ever be, just making the point), there'd be hellishly heated anger going all around about the sentencing by those who actually care about upholding the ideals their nation was founded on, but because it's just some comparatively small court in the middle of Podunk, east texas...

There's really not much that can be done about the marriage since...well, they were technically already starting to plan one when this shit happened, but this guy needs to be removed from the fucking judge's bench immediately if he isn't going to carry out his job in a fucking legally correct fashion. It all starts right here with this one incident that he gets away with- now where will it end if nothing is done to fix the cause of the problem?

It's in blatant violation of the US constitution and the supreme law of the land is what it is...

And also a clear indication of a still ever present failure of the concept of church and state being separated, and just one of the many issues this country continues to be plagued by from within. I really hope someone with enough power to actually get something done calls this shit out in some type of outcry, cause really... this a great example of something that should NOT be fucking happening in the courts of american society. if it were a supreme court case (which don't even get me started on how it could ever be, just making the point), there'd be hellishly heated anger going all around about the sentencing by those who actually care about upholding the ideals their nation was founded on, but because it's just some comparatively small court in the middle of Podunk, east texas...

There's really not much that can be done about the marriage since...well, they were technically already starting to plan one when this shit happened, but this guy needs to be removed from the fucking judge's bench immediately if he isn't going to carry out his job in a fucking legally correct fashion. It all starts right here with this one incident that he gets away with- now where will it end if nothing is done to fix the cause of the problem?

Not gonna happen unless presidents don't have to say 'God bless America' a bajillion times to get elected.

Also, I'm single *gets free out of jail card*. Still, that's a hard choice, possibly in more than one way...

Edited by laggless01

• Global Mods

This is weirder than that one judge who liked to give "creative punishments" like making people run in a stadium or holding up a pig with a sign that says "This is not a police officer." Those punishments actually seemed fun, but this one isn't. He has to marry her on the judge's terms, not the terms the couple decided. And for an added bonus he gets the Bible shoved down his throat.

Someone should smack him on the head with his own gavel while he's holding it and say "Stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself" ^ w ^

Edited by Ice Cream Sand Witch

Okay, so, after a couple days deliberating what to say on this matter, I have come to the perfect sentence: This is stupid.

*Grumbles grumbily about people not understanding separation of church and state from either viewpoint*

I don't see what church and state has to do with any of this -or- how Texas is out of touch here.

He should have done the time. It was only a misdemeanor and his partner seems understanding and ended up getting punished in having her right to a traditional wedding stripped away for that decision. 15 days is 15 days.

That being said. I'll agree that the sentencing was silly. I just don't see how it was unconstitutional when the defendant had a choice in the matter. It's also not like he had to BELIEVE in the verses or convert to Christianity or Judaism. It's the equivalent of a teacher telling a detention student to write 100 sentences.

I don't see what church and state has to do with any of this -or- how Texas is out of touch here.

He should have done the time. It was only a misdemeanor and his partner seems understanding and ended up getting punished in having her right to a traditional wedding stripped away for that decision. 15 days is 15 days.

That being said. I'll agree that the sentencing was silly. I just don't see how it was unconstitutional when the defendant had a choice in the matter. It's also not like he had to BELIEVE in the verses or convert to Christianity or Judaism. It's the equivalent of a teacher telling a detention student to write 100 sentences.

What? Do you live in the US? Do you understand the US constitution?

First, the get out of jail card (getting marry) is illegal and unconstitutional. The judge can't force you OR give you a choice to marry someone has a free get out of jail card. This falls on the Eighth Amendment.

Also, they are in the 20s!! They shouldn't even been thinking about marriage at this age. All this judge did is add to the 50% of divorce rate in the US. I gotta love the fact that the lady all could think about was about her wedding but not of the fact that all her rights has a US citizen were violated haha. Brainless fucks!!! I still can't believe this bullshit.

He can't make you write Bible verses either, what is this a Christian court? This is a government court he should go BY the US laws hence this judge doesn't understand the separation of church and state.

Yes he should had serve his time and this is the only part of your argument I agree with.

I'll agree that the sentencing was silly. I just don't see how it was unconstitutional when the defendant had a choice in the matter.

If you read the articles:

“What if we [had said to the judge] we don't want to get married right now and we're not ready?” said Jaynes.

“Is he going to go to jail? It scared us, a little bit.”

Also, I did a research on this judge. This fool have been doing stuff like this for a whileeee. He should be demoted immediately!

It's also not like he had to BELIEVE in the verses or convert to Christianity or Judaism. It's the equivalent of a teacher telling a detention student to write 100 sentences.

This is unconstitutional has I said before.

This is what the guy sentence should had done. Sue the judge and state. Have the judge himself pay for his divorce and have it nullify which means he shouldn't even appear on his record. The judge, has I said before should be demoted and have it's law degree taken away. But we all know this isn't going to happen....

But the bottom line is, Jaynes was offered the choice between two sentences - one of which was an appropriate, non-violating jail time sentence - and he CHOSE to marry her.

It's not a cruel and unusual punishment to spend 15 days in jail. The missed point is that the alternative sentence was marrying the woman that he deemed "worth" getting the assault charge over. The only thing that would be arguably unusual is the fact that Jaynes opted FOR the unusual sentence.

The reason why the marriage sentence would be worth it is if that was the plan anyway AND the misdemeanor charge would not interfere with Jaynes' professional life.

The Bible verses are again, the equivalent of writing sentences in detention at school. There's no conversion order or proselytization involved there, the punishment is not uncommon, it's not cruel, it's not even close to being too heavy for an ASSAULT charge if TEACHERS assign it, and in itself would only be arguably a violation of the 8th Amendment if it was considered "significantly" arbitrary.

People also fail to understand that Separation of Church and State is only arms-length in America these days. Nobody cries foul when the Government oversteps it's bounds, but WHOOOO boy, when some judge in Texas tries to spare a man from prison based on the morality appeal made in the case, "Crucify Him."

Gimme a break.