A fresh start

BlackMage

So, I am just considering playing Reborn all over again and I am stuck choosing between Torchic, Mudkip and Turtwig. Also, how do I get Ditto early in the factory? I don't want to wait till 7th Street for it.

To get the Ditto you have to complete the daycare side quest in Obsidia/Coral wards and then in the factory you put Makuhita underneath Ditto. As for the starter it's up to you, but Turtwig > Mudkip > Torchic for difficulty.

Edited by BIGJRA

You guys are using overrated wrong, the word y'all are looking for is overpowered. Anyway in terms of what's better than what it's Blaziken (uber) >>> Swampert (uu without mega) >>>>>> Torterra (nu)

Torterra might not be competitively viable compared to a certain kung fu chicken with Speed Boost, but for a casual play of Reborn (or however casual Reborn can be), its still very good

You guys are using overrated wrong, the word y'all are looking for is overpowered. Anyway in terms of what's better than what it's Blaziken (uber) >>> Swampert (uu without mega) >>>>>> Torterra (nu)

This guy's right. To call Blaziken "overrated" would imply that it isn't as strong as people believe it to be, which it completely is.

This guy's right. To call Blaziken "overrated" would imply that it isn't as strong as people believe it to be, which it completely is.

Blaziken is overused. Overpowered. Overplayed. It's kinda annoying to see everywhere. I think that's what he meant

Blaziken is overused. Overpowered. Overplayed. It's kinda annoying to see everywhere. I think that's what he meant

You can't blame people or call it annoying that people like using the superior starter, if it's a favored choice it's just how it is.

You can't blame people or call it annoying that people like using the superior starter, if it's a favored choice it's just how it is.

I'm not saying I blame anyone. It's just that things like this get pretty old when overused. If you like Blaziken then by all means use it, but I wouldn't call it a superior starter. Not in a playthrough of a game. In playthroughs the starter is only as good as the player.

Blaziken used to be my favourite starter. It's sad to see just how broken and overused it became.

Why should that have any influence on whether or not it's your favorite starter? Blaziken has been my favorite starter since Ruby and Sapphire first came out, and receiving Speed Boost didn't change that.

Saying "I used to like this until it became popular, now I don't like it anymore" is hipster thinking, bruh

Edited by Foamy

Competitive use =/= ingame use though. A lot of competitively great pokemon might stink in-game for Reborn because you either get them too late or can't access the moves/techs that makes them competitively viable in the first place. They're two different ball-games.

TBH I thought Blaziken was pretty underwhelming in Emerald Version because a lot of gyms put him at a disadvantage compared to the other starters. Then again he didn't have speed boost or close combat back then, but he was quite disappointing.

TBH I thought Blaziken was pretty underwhelming in Emerald Version because a lot of gyms put him at a disadvantage compared to the other starters. Then again he didn't have speed boost or close combat back then, but he was quite disappointing.

Blaziken was underwhelming in Gen 3 for a variety of reasons. There was no physical/special split, so one of its STABs was physical while the other was special. It lacked a good Fighting STAB, it had no way to boost its Speed outside of Endure + Salac Berry, and it didn't have the bulk to serve any purpose other than a sweeper, wallbreaker, or revenge killer (all of which are hampered by the aforementioned inability to raise its Speed).

You meant High Jump Kick, right? Blaziken could never learn Close Combat.

Blaziken was underwhelming in Gen 3 for a variety of reasons. There was no physical/special split, so one of its STABs was physical while the other was special. It lacked a good Fighting STAB, it had no way to boost its Speed outside of Endure + Salac Berry, and it didn't have the bulk to serve any purpose other than a sweeper, wallbreaker, or revenge killer (all of which are hampered by the aforementioned inability to raise its Speed).

You meant High Jump Kick, right? Blaziken could never learn Close Combat.

Well, despite all of that, gen 3 was relatively easy. I swept through all the gyms with my Blaziken (but Norman was a bit diffucult). I think it had a modest nature and thats why Blaze Kick seemed pretty powerful to me back then. Mind you, Ruby was my first pokegame.

Swampert is the start of Gen 3 starters. Sweeps gyms 1, 3, 4, 6 (ice beam/rock move), and 7 (surf). Struggles against fighting gym, but mud shot is nice, and against normal (slaking be tanking), and water. However at gym 8 you get a kyogre or groudon so it's irrelevant. Sceptile didn't have any hope until the Gen 4 move split gave it a purpose to it's high attack and speed besides seed stalling.

I

Well, despite all of that, gen 3 was relatively easy. I swept through all the gyms with my Blaziken (but Norman was a bit diffucult). I think it had a modest nature and thats why Blaze Kick seemed pretty powerful to me back then. Mind you, Ruby was my first pokegame.

I think Emerald by far is the hardest mainline pokemon game. Flannery and her overheat was like 12 kinds of BS. But that's my fault for not choosing mudkip I guess lol. The battle frontier's pyramid and palace and whatnot were really challenging too. Going into the game blind and it's certainly not what I'd call easy, unless again you're abusing revives and stuff.