Update: Due to the amount of applicants, I've decided to change the process. We will now separate the development team into two parts: Implementation (AKA the factory) and Testing/Bugfixing (AKA quality control). Because of this, the number of available slots has increased.

I will still manage the entire development team, but the groups will each have a leader of their own.

I will personally head the factory until such a time where one of the people who join can take over or the two become self-sufficient. There'll be two slots for this group.

Jericho will head quality control. There will be two to three slots on this group, depending on who and how many people we choose.

Unfortunately, applicants cannot choose the position they'll fulfill. We'll determine who we'd like to offer each position, and we'll take it from there. All applications have been read and soon, a questionnaire will be sent to all applicants to be answered. Based on these responses, we will determine who will join each group, and we will announce the results then.

As an addendum, because of the added interest, there'll be a new room in showdown called the Lecture Hall. Whenever I'm there, I'll be willing to help, give and rate assignments, and provide free basic training and feedback on programming, Ruby, game development or whatever the hell you feel like asking. Others may eventually join as well.

-----

Well, to follow-up on Amethyst's rather verbose announcement of an announcement to announce an announcement (there's a mouthful) I'll be taking a more... Open approach to reborn development.

So, let me tell you guys about how reborn development has worked so far, how it has affected my personal life and how I intend for it to work in the future.

I joined the Reborn development team circa January. In fact, it was near the end of December, near Christmas, since I had a two-week paid leave. Ever since day 1, I've been single-handedly implementing almost everything that goes into the game. Nearly every move, item, ability, system or alterations that have happened in reborn in the last six months have either been done by me personally, or with my overseeing.

So in that sense, you could say me taking this position is more of a formality than an actual increase on my responsibilities. For the most part, things will remain the same. I will remain doing most of the implementations (like the online system and it's safeguards, refinements to the save system, the new weather 2.0 system) by myself, however, when it comes to the smaller implementations like fixing bugs, I simply don't have enough time.

To give you some insight in how my life has been since joining reborn - I've dedicated two paid leaves, for a total of an entire month, solely to Reborn's development. Other than that, up until very recently I also dedicated every single day of the week after work, and the whole weekends. You may have noticed that since the status thread percentages have started, Scripting almost always takes a huge lead and finishes way earlier than any other parts of the game. That's basically been all me, directly or indirectly.

Recently, however, I haven't been able to do anything in terms of development, as my schedule has gotten significantly more bloated.

As my personal and professional lives are becoming busier, the amount of time I can dedicate to reborn has diminished significantly, making it impossible for me to do both new mechanic implementations and bug-fixing by myself.

Amethyst has aided me with this in the past, and so has Jericho to great extent, him becoming the first person I've actually taken in to teach how to do minor implementations.

The reality is, however, that the current workload cannot be entrusted to anyone else, and current system implementations (like the online system) are far too complex for me to pass on.

Because of this, I've decided to open the doors of the development team for anyone who's interested in learning the ins and outs of how RPG Maker and Essential's scripts work. I need those who are interested to contact me as soon as possible, ideally listing previous programming experience, however none is necessary.

Ideally, I'd like to add two to three people to the team, as that'd be a number I can manage more easily. The purpose of this team is to create a task force for fixing all the current bugs in Reborn, and eventually handling minor and major implementations as they grow in experience.

The intention here is to train those interested in game development and coding in general in the basics of programming etiquette, programming logic, how to identify and fix issues within code, and all that other cool stuff I'm sure none all of you are interested in. Swell.

To sum everything up: I no longer have the time to do all things by myself without growing (considerably more) insane. Because of this, I'll be training two or three more people alongside Jericho in scripting, with the intent of creating a reliable bugfixing team.

I hope I can count on all of you, as always, for your understanding and support.

Thank you.

Details:

Experience: None, but every bit helps.

Availability: 10 weekly hours minimum

Position: Minor and major bugfixing; May grow into implementation.

Training period: Roughly 1 month, during which trainees are expected to read one or more books on ruby development and go through a few online training courses. May be adjusted depending on talent, aptitude, or experience. Proper SVN etiquette and guidelines to it's usage will also occur during this time.

Other requirements: Have an account on either skype or showdown to facilitate communication.

Note: If you messaged me and I haven't replied, that means I'm just waiting to do so; I won't forget anyone, and I'll make sure to interview each person individually before I decide on all spots on the team.

Also note: It's IMPERATIVE that you send me a private message on the forums if you're interested. Not in this thread, not in showdown, on the forums. This is because we're currently at over 10 applicants and when I'm going through the list I'm bound to miss people who haven't PMed me.

so what exactly are you looking for in a candidate?

There arent any pre-requisites other than availability, which is a given, and the willingness to go through with it. As mentioned in the post, experience helps, but isn't mandatory.

This is quite interesting.

Do you know the time commitment needed for investing into the project? It sounds like a really neat idea and I've been playing around with Essentials before and I know the slight basics behind it, but never really thought about going into a full-fledged game. I only wish I had more time since I'm heading back to school in two weeks, but it sounds neat nonetheless! :)

Edited by andrew5629

This is quite interesting.

Do you know the time commitment needed for investing into the project? It sounds like a really neat idea and I've been playing around with Essentials before and I know the slight basics behind it, but never really thought about going into a full-fledged game. I only wish I had more time since I'm heading back to school in two weeks, but it sounds neat nonetheless! :)

This is my problem too. I really, really want to help, but availability is a bit of an issue. I'm actually going to a new school entirely, and apparently it's not an easy one. I'm willing to learn as much as I can, but once the summer ends I don't know how much free time I'll have. Weekends should be fine once school starts, I hope. Starts Sept 1st.

As for prior experience: I'm a clean slate. Aside from about 5 minutes of exploring essentials.

Edited by SnowGlaceon

I would like to do this... But like many others said... Availability is kinda an issue :( even though I currently don't have any classes, my time is currently spent on renovating my kitchen and bathroom which doesn't give me much time to be online especially if I have a deadline, which reaaaaaaly sucks

Maybe another time :/

Also good luck torturing teaching your newbies!

After thinking for some time I have decided and will pm you later because I'm using phone right now and internet here is meh!hope you still have room for more student

The problem I have is if I were to take part it may involve spoilers however I am generally available until the end of the summer and god knows I'm bored, unfortunately though I have zero experience so I'm not quite sure how it would work, other than all that I'd be very interested to learn this kind of thing.

I'm definitely interested in this. I haven't got any scripting experience but I've built my own game using essentials (pokemon industrial). I'd love to join in (although I know I haven't been in this community for the longest time so I understand if you want more prominent members of reborn).

• Veterans

So essentially;Post/PM Kuro if your interested to be trained in ruby scripting and along with your details of communication(Ala Showdown/Skype) you give some details on how much free time you have and if you have any prior experience?

Now I've done a bit of looking into the scripts in RPG Maker as well as kinda did part of an online course on Ruby(Alongside my school work earlier this year in IT)So I'm kinda interested now that I've got a shiton of free time...

I guess there's no better time than to learn RPG Maker basics as suggested by Ame, is there?

While I have minor experience with RMXP etc, I'd actually like to learn the ins and outs, which would make things I don't (yet) recognize as bugs/glitches a lot easier to understand.

I'm definitely interested (and have the free time) to learn this, Kuro.

Hey Kuro! Do you know what kind of tutorials one could take in order to learn things about scripting?

My expirience with these is sadly 0, but I have a lot of free time recently, and always wanted to learn how to help Reborn crew.

• Veterans

Codecademy....saw that coming lol

I'm already like 20% through that thing but I might aswell restart...considering I don't remember some parts of it..

• Developers

So, to clarify, the Lecture Hall Room will eventually be open to anyone, not just those who get picked? Because this has sparked my interest to learn Ruby either way.

So, to clarify, the Lecture Hall Room will eventually be open to anyone, not just those who get picked? Because this has sparked my interest to learn Ruby either way.

Yes.

The questionnaires have been sent. Respond to them as soon as possible!

If you still haven't applied yet, you have until friday to do so. That said, if there are no new applications before all current applicants finish their questionnaires, the application period will be over!