"It's not what it used to be"

Amethyst

• Administrators
So the timing of this post is interesting, in that I meant to post it a long time ago, but obviously that never happened. While it is less relevant now, it is still... quite relevant. It will probably continue to be for as long as communities on the internet exist.

I had wanted to address what's become sort of a popular concern among Reborn... Well, no, not just Reborn. That's exactly it. What this is, is more of a phenomenon that persists within online forums as a whole.
It's that sense of "It's not what it used to be"

Let me preface this by saying, although I mainly stick to Reborn nowadays, a few years ago I wasn't much different than any of you [s]punk kids[/s]. Just a regular forum-goer (mod at a couple places, admin at a couple others, whatever). Except I might be understating that. How many forum websites do you frequent? This one, maybe Mysidia, a few others? I was known to be active on upwards of twenty different sites at any time. (why i did that is beyond me). In varying degrees, I've been active around the internet since I was eleven. Eight years now. The point is, I know what I'm talking about with this stuff.

And in that time, I do not believe I have ever seen a forum wherein users do not begin to reach this point- of feeling like it's not what it was. It can't really be placed, but where everything seemed so magical and amazing and there were so many awesome new friends to be had when you first got here... Now it's just... here. What happened? It slipped down the drain when we weren't looking, I guess. What happened to the golden days?

I know I've been there. Pretty much at every community that I've been significantly involved in (besides my own, it's a bit different looking down from the top...)

I've heard this sentiment also, from a number of users in varying seniority. I was asked about it a couple times as well. This is my explanation:

If you've ever been in love, or at least had a crush, and who hasn't? then you know that feeling of something being so amazing you don't even know what to do with yourself. Now if you've had the experience to take that crush, see it through a relationship, you also know that it doesn't last. That euphoric association with the partner fades once you get to know them better, become closer, etc, eventually there's not so much feeling there anymore and you start to question why you're still with that person.

Not to compare internet foruming to relationships, but it's kinda the same effect. That feeling only existed because it was new to you. When it's no longer new, that feeling goes away, and then looking back you think what a mess it is now. The truth is, chances are, it's no more or less of a mess- may not even be a mess at all- that what it was then, you just know it better. What's changed isn't the site, it's you.

Which is natural, that's fine. Actually I'd be worried if people never changed.

This is also not to say that the site hasn't changed. If you compare everything to how we were this time last year, looooool. Truth is, we are so much better off. We've grown a lot. Some people regard that as a bad thing. But really there are only two options for an internet site:

1. Grow. The community will grow, and you will change, and then we end up with this feeling that I've been talking about.
2. Die. No new members come. The old ones get bored of rehashing topics. Eventually the forum dies.

I'm proud to say we've made the first option. But its side-effect is this phenomenon. Obviously that puts some people off. However, it... really can't be helped. It's no one's fault, simply the way of things.

I've heard this complaint from several people lately, hence my explaining it. However, there is further question as to what can be done about it?
There is no way I know to restore magic to something that has lost it. If anyone knows of it, please tell me. Short of that, there may be no solution. Just as people grow apart, people will distance themselves from a community, and that is not only perfectly natural, but perfectly okay. We've reached a place where we're not in any danger of falling into the die-category. In the end, everything is going to be... okay.

That's for the community as a whole. If you're concerned with this feeling though, well, it needs to be your decision on what to do. Move on if you wish. We'll miss you. Stick around, we'd love to have you. Ultimately you need to do what's best for you. But it has very little to do with how the site itself has changed.

... I dont know how long that I've been having the need to say this, but it's been in my head for awhile now.

As of about the beginning of the month, the Server and the Forums have sort of dulled out for me (And I am quite sure a few other people share my judgement). I have only really been an active member for about 3-4 months now, but even so, during that period I got to know quite a lot of people here and I will say that this is one of the most tightly bound communities that I've found online. And that is what has kept me here.

But now I've been noticing that people are becoming detached from here. While the reasons may be clear to some people, it is clear to a lot of us. People have personal lives that need a lot of their attention. (And I'm going to be blunt on this, To me, the people that come on here te most amount of time and just sit around battlling and chatting[like me], often have a lot of time on thier hands.)

I'd also like to point out the League. When I really became active around the end of May, there were a lot of gym challenges. Now I'm not sandbagging the League, [s]The fact that I have yet to ever pass the Entry leaders is enough to keep me going.[/s]
Its just, A lot less challenges and that means less leader drama that gives Reborn its flavour. [s][color="#483D8B"]I guess what I'm saying is that I want more of Luna and Elias drama, more Terra rampages, and what ever else the leaders are known to do.[/color][/s]

But I do know that we will have our lows points and our high points, and to me it seems a bit like a low point at this time.

That does not mean, however, we cant get back up and become more connected and have the community [font="Times New Roman"][color="#FFA500"][i][size="6"]REBORN![/size][/i][/color][/font]

>><< Basicly, lets just try and stay a happy community.

Don't forget - Some people complain that it was not what it was before due to the fact that they, themselves made enemies within their friends.
Some people only see the bad in others, not the good.
Otherwise - It's much like the relationship thing, You're in love with her/him. You can't let them go. You adore them. Everyday's paradise..but everyday's fading..It's getting boring..Why are you still with that person? You loved them in the first place, what now?
It's exactly like that.

People change for the better. Let's hope you've still got some love for us.

I think Owen brought up an interesting fact that was overlooked.

I still love Reborn just as much as I did when I came here, just in a different sort of way.

When I came here, it was [i][b]LIGHTS. CAMERA. DRAMA~![/b][/i] Which, human nature tends to be drawn to.
Every day was exciting and something new happened every single day!
Now, I'm in love with the fact that I can sit around and be content with my surroundings, which, while not at ALL dull, are certainly something I've come to appreciate and have gotten used to.

I guess another part is, like you said, that on a whole, everything is new once you first approach it.

I remember being convinced that, "all this stuff should be written into a novel! It [i]HAS[/i] to be scripted!" but that'd just be too silly to be true. The leaders are all excellent in their roles and I think even they have begun to seek out the fire that burned alongside the never-ending drama.

I don't say this out of the blue, I remember about a month or two ago having fought Radomus and saying something similar to what Elias has told us of him, and the night was alive with the sparks of rivalry and mystery. It was also the same night Shade said my name before /d'ing, and I thought, "wow, just like old times."

Which, while probably sounding stupid, only goes to prove that the challengers are the ones who need to involve themselves in a dramatic sort of way with the leaders, to "bait the trap". They can't mold the community, it's the people who frequent said community that need to change it.

Tl;dr I rambled and now I'm not sure what I was trying to say.

• Administrators
To everyone saying that they used to like it better before everything started to change- That's... kinda what Ame's point is with this topic. You're just repeating parts of what he said << >>

Admittedly, yeah, it does seem less league-centric now, and I'm not really sure why... [quote]However, it... really can't be helped. It's no one's fault, simply the way of things.
[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...
It's natural to hit that rut. To come across the league leader you just can't beat, to find that other thing in your life that needs your attention, etc, etc.

Just as it is that I feel the need to drop in after a month of being away from... everything. If things arent' league centric, it's because it really isn't the league itself that has kept most of here for as long as it did. It's what drew us all here at first, but we've always lingered here a bit longer for the people. As people come and go, that dynamic naturally changes. Ame may have tried to ameliorate the effect by introducing a few substitute leaders (in addition to the actual need for them), but a certain stagnation point has been reached. But as cynical as I can be, even I know this place will be reborn again. But don't wait for it. BE the change you wish to see.