[IC/Reroll] The UNbOUND: First case-The Unseen

Notus

Probably was best not to mess with a demon that didn't understand humour. Bom untied his form from the shadow, instantly revealing the tall wolf like form he was in. He stood easily 8 feet tall, with charcoal black fur. Much like a werewolf of old legend. On his head was a boney protrusion, that looked much like a skull. "Wish to insult my intelligence now, puny human? It is you... who knows nothing. The only skill you have is murder, you pathetic waste of skin. No wonder you never made it past the rank of Leftenant. Even your fellow humans realize how much worth you lack."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh snap! You got burned Grampa." Lia was looking at the papers and hadn't noticed Bom yet. Then she saw Lt. Cohington looking at something behind her so she turned. What the fuck... Seeing Bom in his demon form was a shock for her. While she knew that he was a demon she hadn't ever seen a non human form of his before. She quickly gathered her wits and tried to diffuse the situation before it got out of hand. "Brythit! Now would be a good time to take charge here!" The urgency in her voice showed that she was taking this stand off seriously. "What the fuck Bom! You need to calm down. As I had told you before, he wasn't speaking literally. You need to hide yourself. If somebody sees you they may literally have a heart attack, and I literally mean literally." She stood between the two of them trying to ensure they don't end up fighting. Loosing somebody in the first few minutes of our first mission would be a pain. How much ever I may joke, I actually think I will have to teach Bom some social skills. She turned to the older man and said, "I think you should take a look at these papers and let me deal with Bom. Plus we need to be a little careful with jokes and our actions around him. I don't think our team should end up killing each other within the first 15 minutes of the mission, or more likely Bom killing all of us. I know you are ancient and would have all that old world magic knowledge but I doubt you know how to kill or even hurt a demon for that matter?" She handed a few of the sheets in her hand to him and turned to the elephant in the room. How do I make him chill out. I don't know what Brythit was thinking adding a demon to the team.

Bom was so angry that he barely registered Lia talking to him. In fact, he was so angry that one of his natural combat defenses had turned on. Boney protrusions, much like ribs, had appeared around his abdomen. They kept making sickening cracking sounds as they popped back and forth. It was a defense mostly for humans or certain lesser demons. The noise easily unnerved the weak of heart as it sounding like bones snapping quickly and in rapid succession. They could also lay flat on his stomach sort of like armour, but his anger caused them to move without his input and they had a mind of their own for right now. He snarled an ugly noise, at the man before backing down. The "ribs" were still violently crawling back and forth, almost like a millipede's legs on his chest. They started to slow but kept making their nasty cracking noises. He just stared at Lia having recognized her saying his name, but just growled at her. Not in anger, but because he was so angry he couldn't speak. It was more so to acknowledge he heard her more than anything else. He just stared for now, not really saying much but still seething while the "ribs" kept cracking and moving in an undulating wave up and down his chest and abdomen.

The dark-haired woman had been quietly inspecting the blue stains from over Lia's shoulder when Lt. Cohington came up to inspect the strange markings, himself. You'd have expected a forty-something year old man who'd come from the military to have even a shred of chivalry or honor or a presence of mind to remember that he wasn't insulting a human, but something-- somebody that was anything but. Honestly speaking, Brythit wasn't even remotely surprised at the turn out of events... not that it eased the rapid influx of adrenaline and fear that she was getting from just seeing the demon's form. She'd been warned and had attempted many, many times to train her mind in preparation for a moment like this, should the time come that they would need Bomoriel to reveal his demonic form. If it weren't for Lia's cry of urgency, perhaps nothing would've kept her in reality or from screaming in terror. Her reflexes, pumped with adrenaline, kicked in, combining with her first impulse. Bomoriel was pissed off at Cohington, after all.

In a fluid and quick motion, she spun and kicked the Lieutenant across the face; she'd make up for it later, but right now, what had to be done was to appease the seemingly omnipotent entity. Not bothering to check and see it her foot had hit its mark, she righted and forced herself to look into the towering lupine demon's eyes-- or wherever the heck they were supposed to be. "Bomoriel Hibaam!" rang Brythit's voice, loud and clear in an attempt to catch his attention, as she'd somehow managed to take all of the fright and tension she felt and momentarily throw them away. Her tone was respectful, but firm, as she continued: "Your race surpasses us in terms of age and those like you surpass us in power and erudition. But though you say that he knows nothing other than to kill, I believe differently, otherwise he would not be here in the first place. You have the upper hand over him-- or over any of us, for that matter-- not just in strength and ability, but in knowledge. Putting him in his place or hurting him will do more harm than necessary and none among us present can stop you; you and I both know this." It was a form of pleading, in Bryth's book. With demons or any ancient entity, though, really, you had to address them in such a way that you weren't threatening them or posing as prey. You had to treat them as equals-- with respect.

The rhythmic cracking noises kept coming from the bone like protrusions from Bom's chest and abdomen. His eyes were a mystifying green colour, seemingly swimming with movement. It was as if the rage itself were swimming in his eyes. They were very unlike humans in that regard. The storm of emotion could clearly be seen by Bryth. His green eyes swam with red. It looked like some sort of liquid and within it span blood. However, she would also see the red start to drain away as the demon's rage subsided, even if it was a bit slow.

Bom did hear Bryth call his name, but he was still mostly staring at Lia. She was right in front of him, right were she stepped to be between him and the Leftenant. Why was he staring? Even he didn't know, but he was doing it nonetheless. He harrumphed loudly. But otherwise, made no other noises or uttered any words. His form shimmered for a second as he began to disappear. He had retied himself to the shadows causing his body to once again disappear into them. The unpleasant clicking and cracking could still be heard; It made it rather easy to pinpoint his location. That meant he couldn't make a move towards the Leftenant because they would hear him. It would take until he calmed down for the "ribs" to stop cracking, so it was unlikely he would act on his anger.

When the tower of bone and fur receded into the shadows, the usually cool woman let her breath out, slowly. Why did I agree to dealing with demons, again? she thought to herself, rhetorically. There was a perfectly good reason why and she was well aware of it, and it was good and sensible enough for her to not argue with even if she was reluctant to deal with a demon. Turning to the Lieutenant to check on the man, she said, "Sorry. Heat of the moment. Are you okay?" As tactless as he could be at times, Cohington was still her father's friend, whom she'd sometimes thought of as an uncle.

Rob wiped his mouth, cleaning some blood from his lip, could be worse, he gave a step back just in time it seemed "I'll live" he said, before looking at his friend's daughter "I really messed up this time, huh?" He shook his head, that hadn't happened in years, during his early days in the army, he had said the wrong thing to a superior officer, and it ended in a fistfight, and, while he managed to avoid it coming to blows, there he went and nearly got his entire group killed by a demon with no idea of human interaction. What luck.

"Guess you and I will only talk about work from now on, since I doubt you'll easily recognize jokes within my likely very short lifespan" He said before retreating.

Bryth's mouth opened a fraction, then closed when Cohington turned away before she could reply. Nobody would've noticed the corner of Bryth's lips twitch a bit in restrained frustration. Already, a fiasco on the first day and on her watch. I've got to talk to Bomoriel about human stuff more. Who knew demons didn't joke around? "Sir," she called out, this time, for the owner of the facility. "Sorry about that. But could you step over here for a moment and identify these stains?"

Lia was silent throughout the rest of the exchange. She was looking into his eyes. Then Brythit stepped in to handle the situation. After Bom hid himself, she let out a sigh of relief. That was a close one. Hmm.. Brythit is already back to work. I guess I should get to it is as well. She turned to look at the owner, waiting for his reply to her question.

The owner entered the room at Brythit´s call - luckily, because one minute earlier and the team would have quite a bit to explain. He walked over to the table and picked one of the stained sheets, observing it closely.

"I don´t know what this is. We don´t use blue ink here, and it doesn´t look much like that anyway..." The man laid down the sheet again, and turned to ask Bryth. "You cops don´t have any machinery to identify that kind of stuff?"

Just as brythit spoke, Indy's drone returned. Indy then spoke to it, and is sighed in response.
"Well, Omegan, we might not have found anything unusual, but that's fine. you can charge up when we get back to base."
"Oh well... hopefully the next time is more interesting."
Indy then turned off her Drone, which had finished surveying the Buildings in the close vicinity of the Factory, and headed over to Brythit. when she got over, she turned on a small Droid that she pulled out of her backpack, and then spoke to it.
"Alph, analyse the chemical composition of those Blue Stains, please."
In response, Alph chirped.
"You got it, Indy! One Chemical Analysis, coming up."
Alph then put a small Mass Spectrometer onto the Blue Stains, analyzing their chemical composition with it. As he analysed the Data, Alph sent a stream of information to Indy's Drone Controller Screen, which displayed a graph of the Elements and Compounds in the Stains. Indy's eyes widened as she looked at it, and she then spoke.
"Here's the analysis, guys, and it's quite serious... these Stains are the residue left by a very potent odorless Sleep-inducing gas. One whiff of it, and you're going to sleep within seconds. It's hard to make, too, seeing as some of these compounds are very hard to find and even harder to manufacture. Additionally, these stains are the only traces left by it, due to the fact that it only leaves them when it's absorbed by a substance like Cloth or Paper."

((OOC: Yes, Indy gives names to her Robotic Creations.))

Edited by K_H

"Rich folks are behind this?" Rob commented, rubbing his head "That ain't gonna be easy to get through, not to mention how did they move the people without anyone noticing? Can they play puppet with people?"

"Indy can you get Alph to send the list of materials and processes required to manufacture the gas back to Will. We can have it cross referenced with the factories in the area. That way we can have some idea of where it could have been processed." She turned to Brythit, "There is still the matter of how they moved the workers. I'd like to scan through the video footage if possible."

Indy nodded.

"I'm on it already."

Indy then headed outside, held up a handheld miniature Satellite Dish, aimed it towards the sky, and then transmitted the data back to HQ by bouncing it off of the Moon.

With half a shrug, Bryth spoke, her words aimed at both her device and the factory owner: "I'm with Lia. Any surveillance from a camera would be much appreciated." Turning to the gunslinger girl, she murmured, almost incredulously, "What I'm wondering is why and how the video feed didn't provide anything earlier. The other divisions can't have possibly forgotten to check and inspect them, right?"

"Considering that the gas is really expensive to make, it means that really wealthy people are involved here, if we assume that there isn't anything supernatural. Could it be that they were bribing the local divisions? We could be dealing with some really dirty bastards here." She was thinking about the possibility of having to deal with corrupt officers while they waited for any updates regarding the video footage. I know I shouldn't cast doubt on the other agencies, but considering that money is involved, and the surprising lack of evidence, all I can suspect is that somebody is trying to keep things clean. Well, we are on the case now and we will uncover the secrets behind the disappearances.

"Hey, wait a second. Bom! I know Alph says this is a manufactured gas, but have you ever come across it in the supernatural world? Come take a look at these papers." She picked a few of the papers from before and kept them pointed towards the darkness where Bom had last been.

Bom wasn't sure... it certainly wasn't magical in nature. "It is possible, though I doubt that it was used by demons specifically. many powerful ones that have affairs in the land of Mortals could probably use this technique them self or create near the same result that this gas would create."

"Remember, the Demons that are smart enough to use human created devices, logic or ideas... refuse to use it. They believe it inferior to their magic and the demon ways of doing things. But... that doesn't mean they don't work with humans to get what they desire." Bom took the papers from lia and eyed the ink... wondering if there was anything to it and what exactly it was made of. Perhaps if he knew what it's components were, he could figure out if any of them had connections to the demon world. With that he jammed one of them down his hatch. Why not use the stomach he had to try and identify the substances and their breakdowns? He could ask this...Engineer, but he didn't entirely trust her machines read outs.

"So... What's it taste like?" Bryth said. There was a shade of a grin on her face that, well, disappeared quickly. Bomoriel probably wouldn't register it as a joke, after all. Wasted breath, she berated herself silently. "That gives us a couple possibilities to consider, so far. A: Wealthy folks kidnapping common factory workers specializing in weapon and-or computer manufacturing. B: Wealthy folks working with demons to kidnap common factory workers. And of course there's always C, where it's none of the above and we're missing something altogether. A and B look more or less like those cliche signs of an impending takeover of the city or of the world, or something like that..." The woman's voice trailed off into silence as she mused to herself, trying to piece what she had so far together. God, those guys from shows like NCIS and CSI made investigations look so damn easy. "I don't suppose there's anybody, be it a singular person or a group, with a notably high interest in firearms and PCs to look out for? Cause that'd be way too easy," she said aloud, unable to hold back the sarcastic tone in the last part of what she said.

• 2 weeks later...

"I just took a look at the camera footage for the night. On outside all is fine,only one or two stray cars and a trash removal truck passed by. On the inside... It is a clear case of footage loop. Whoever did the job prepared was prepared for us too. Aand, regarding possible interested parties, your description fits a lot of the city´s tech companies. Why would any of them resort to kidnapping instead of hiring beats me though."

Will answered them finally.

"I smell a rat" Cohington muttered "The most logical thing I can think of is an insider job, but I don't know if it's even human" Way too many questions came up, and too few answers. Not to mention, if it's a Bom level demon in this, we are up for a hell of a ride. Rob considered seeing if he could shake up a few employees to find answers, but he might not get anything, even if he goes with the others, and there might be a case of demon attacks. What to do, then?

Edited by leocain

"Why yes, that´s quite the logical assumption Lieutenant. I think whoever was the rat probably vanished along with the other employees though." Will said again. "I just did a little more research on the weapon industries of the city. There seem to be three big conglomerates that compete among them. Obviously, they also maintain close relations with cyber industry as well and their primary market is the foreign market. Derraton´s own Defense Forces and Police Department buy from one of these, the Ironhand group." He paused.

"Dunno, I don´t see a reason for a big company like that to have anything to do with it, but if you guys wanna know about the weaponry market, that would be a nice place to ask around."

Lia smirked at Brythit's pun about the taste, and then started formulating her own theories. No, I guess I am thinking too much. This detective work is so frustrating. I'm a field agent, not a street cop damnit. She started fidgeting with her gun. She dismantled and started cleaning it while Brythit and the others were talking. Will mentioned that the video had been tampered with and there were a lot of companies fitting the description. Then the Lieutenant mentioned something about a rat in the company. Well, it does make sense. A rat could be responsible, though it doesn't seem right. Will then responded by telling them about the Ironhand group, which provides the weapons to Derraton's Defense Forces. She looked down at the gun she had. Ironhand. I should have thought about it. I am literally holding their product in my hand. Though Will is correct. There seems to be no reason for such a large company to do something like this. "What about espionage? Maybe the competitors had a spy and have kidnapped the workers to use in their own workshops? Knock out the competition and steal their secrets. Could even be a large scale industry working on destroying the competition on the grass root level?"

"Monopolizing the industry, huh? Looks like somebody's getting greedy, if that's the case. What're these companies' relations to each other, anyway? Do they all produce the same thing or specialize? It'd be pretty damn pointless and counterproductive to get rid of competition if one guy makes stuff like explosives and the other focuses on melee weaponry," Bryth said, glancing at Lia's handgun for a while. "Anyway. I don't suppose these Ironhand blokes would mind answering some of our questions, then, if we're such good partners with them, no?"

"I´m getting in their website just now." Will answered. "There is competition, no doubt. All of them are real powerhouses, as it seems they have a really wide range of equipment to sell. Of course each one has a slight edge over the others in one or other line of products, but nothing too big. The other conglomerates are Schinder C.O and Taurus Armory." Will let out a whistle. "I´ve taken a look at market news. We´re talking about the biggest industries not only of Derraton, but the whole continent here."