[IC] ANKL, Chapter I: Remembering to Forget

Shamitako

Katherine

Katherine looked the girl in the eye, which required her to look up slightly. The girls name was Emberly if she recalled correctly. And Emberly was right.Taking stock of the situation again, Katherine reevaluated her orders. A girl, Rein she had been called, was already assisting Arya and Lilith, and Katherine decided it was best to leave it at that. At the same time, Katherine was in a bit over her head, and Emberly certainly knew how to take charge of a situation. Emberly was the eldest girl in Katherine's class, not much younger than Katherine herself.

"Alright, Rein, you assist Arya in going to the nurse's office. You," She said, turning to a girl who had just approached, "I apologize for not yet knowing your name and I understand you want to help, but I can't have everyone going to the nurse. So if you could please return to where you're going to sleep it would be much appreciated."

"And the rest of you," she said to the entire room, "I understand you're worried, but I need you to stay calm. All is being handled and panicking about it won't help anyone."

With that settled, Katherine turned back to Emberly.

"Alright," she said, "does that satisfy your concerns? Because if it does, I would like to speak with you privately."

She gestured to her desk, which was well removed from the rest of the girls, probably having to do with nobody wanting the teacher catching them on their phones.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I suppose; I am still not exactly fond of this idea." the fiery-haired girl said. She still had a look of concern on her face. She didn't believe that girl was in the right shape to be taking someone to the Nurse's Office herself. However, another was helping her put the blacked-out girl in the wheelchair. It put her mind at ease a little bit. Emberly was more concerned about why Miss Katherine wanted to speak with her. It was clearly important, or it seemed as such anyway. She walked over towards her Miss Katherine's desk, the place Miss Katherine herself was gesturing towards. She assumed she would follow after her.

"Understood..." Sion was a bit disappointed that she could not do anything but the teacher was probably right that she would probably just get in the way by virtue of there being too many people assisting.

She made her way back to her old position next to Lyre and silently sat down in the same position she was in before.

Lyre was mad at herself for not moving to help her friend and at who or what ever did that to her. After the initial shock wore off and she saw that Lilith was getting taken care of by Rein and Arya who had a nasty burn on her face, she started looking around to see if she could find what would of caused the flash of lightning or whatever it was. She was very intent on finding it out she didn't notice Sion sit back down next to her tell she turned and looked causing her to jump a little in surprise.

Snapping out of her surprise she started talking. "How's Lilith? Is she okay? How about Arya? That burn looks bad." she said hardly taking a breath, while she keep leaning in closer and closer to the girl with each question.

Just as Sion had inadvertently startled her new partner when she had suddenly sat down beside her, Lyre had inadvertently startled her. After all, someone asking multiple questions without taking a break to breath while simultaneously inching further in was definitely not a…normal thing for one to experience by any means.

"I honestly don't know. I was pushed away before I could get to see much but from the looks of it, I would wager to guess that they are both alright. Lilith probably just passed out while Arya…I couldn't really tell."

A person to help her down... yeah, Arya felt she probably needed that right about now; claiming she could make it herself would just be a complete farce. Even despite her damnest attempt to just muscle through it, gird her teeth and move on, she could already feel her senses getting duller. The world wasn't spinning so much now... It had simply dimmed a bit. The voices in the room seemed to start fading away, little by little... and She knew at once from what her mother had once described to her that it wouldn't be long before she'd be out cold just like Lillith.

"Come on..." She muttered to Rein, doing her best to push the chair forward towards the door. The end result would be the same either way, but still... it would probably be a bit more dignified to pass out in the nurse's office rather than in the corridor outside of it on the way there.

Rein was, for a moment, tempted to just watch as Arya attempted to push the wheelchair with Lilith on it, the strain on her body evident. Fortunately, this temptation soon subsided and was replaced by Rein's conscience. Rein, making use of her small size, ducked down under Arya's arms and popped up in between her and the handlebars of the wheelchair, then grabbed hold of the handles, trying to force Arya's hands off of it.

"I push. You walk."

Arya stared at the shorter girl for a moment, then stopped kidding herself altogether and let go of the handles. She headed off towards the hall again, hand occasionally tracing along the barren walls of the corridor, using the placid, static surface to guide herself. Even she herself could notice the slight stagger and pulsating dizziness she felt with every step; There was no way in hell she would've been able to push anyway even if she had legitimately wanted to.

"Thanks..." She mumbled.

(OOC: Sorry for the delay)

"I suppose; I am still not exactly fond of this idea." the fiery-haired girl said. She still had a look of concern on her face. She didn't believe that girl was in the right shape to be taking someone to the Nurse's Office herself. However, another was helping her put the blacked-out girl in the wheelchair. It put her mind at ease a little bit. Emberly was more concerned about why Miss Katherine wanted to speak with her. It was clearly important, or it seemed as such anyway. She walked over towards her Miss Katherine's desk, the place Miss Katherine herself was gesturing towards. She assumed she would follow after her.

Katherine followed Emberly to the desk and sat in her seat.

"Right, so, Emberly." she began, "This may seem a bit sudden, but I was wondering if you'd consider being my assistant of sorts. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm not exactly the most level-headed person in scenarios like this; I'm not much more than a girl myself after all. You seem quite competent, plus you're the closest girl to my own age in my group. I wouldn't be asking for much, just help keeping the other students in line and helping me keep calm if anything else crazy decides to present itself."

Katherine considered adding that she knew what had happened with Lilith, but she thought better of it. There was little chance Emberly would believe her, she had barely even met Katherine after all. Still, Katherine hoped she could convince Emberly to trust her in time, it would be good to have someone strong like her on her side. At the very least, one good thing had come of the earlier incident: Kallisto now knew the location of two of her sisters.

"I suppose I can do that for you. I am not the biggest people person, but I think I can manage that." Emberly remarked while scratching the back of her head. She wasn't really to fond of the idea, it was a whole other reason that people had to look at her and bring even more attention to herself. Though, Miss Kathrine probably picked her just fro that reason. Emberly was tall and did exactly that, stand out. It was easy to lead or at least have your presence known. This in turn helped one to keep control of the situation. Emberly knew exactly why she was chosen... or at least she did in her mind. If that was the real reason she didn't actually know. She rubbed the back of her leg with her bare foot. She was all itchy just thinking about it. She took a deep breath, no sense in getting all worked up. "I will do my best Miss Katherine. I am glad you know the limitations you have and are telling me now rather than later. Thanks for divulging that truth. I shall assist you as best I can." the fiery haired girl said with a sudden burst of confidence. Emberly just wanted to make sure Miss Katherine didn't see her own misgivings. Her teacher needed the help, she could see that. She didn't want to refuse even if it would make her stick out even more like a giraffe in a herd of sheep. Now, with being the assistant she wasn't jsut a giraffe, but a Neon Pink and purple one.

• 2 weeks later...

Nurse Exuberance

Kim Exuberance looked up, surprised to hear knocking on her door this late. At the same time, it was the first night of school, some new girl was bound to have hurt herself trying to use the bathroom before going to sleep. Kim sighed, stood, straightened her name tag (which said, "Nurse exuberance"), and opened the door. She was surprised to be met not with some girl covered in toilet paper, but by a girl in a wheelchair. The girl in the wheelchair was unconscious, and one of the girls who had brought her had a burn on her cheek and looked dazed.

"Oh my, what happened?" Nurse Exuberance asked, ushering them inside.

Rein looked "Nurse Exuberance" straight in the eyes.

"Lightning flashed. Lilith, unconscious. Arya, burned. Miss Katherine said come here."

Rein shifted her weight on to her other foot, adjusting her body to be closer to Arya's just in case she collapsed.

"Rein's help; necessary?"

• 2 weeks later...

"No..." Arya responded. She wasn't exactly alright, but it seemed like things were starting to get better at the moment. Hell, maybe it had all just simply been an overaction on the part of her body. Or maybe it was also the fact that she kinda let her mind panic silently in the background of her own head the entire time like a headless chicken, or a combination of the two. "I'll live..."

Well, live with a scar, that is. The pain on her cheek was still very real...

• 4 weeks later...

Nurse Exuberance

Nurse Exuberance had dealt with enough socially challenged children to know not to try to get a better explanation out of Rein. Still, lightning? That didn't make any sense. Maybe she just meant some girl had gone too far in their pranks and shocked someone with an electrical wire. She'd have to give them a good lecture on when a prank went too far. That was for later though, right now she needed to help Lilith and Arya.

"Um, yes, help would be nice. Could you put Lilith down on the bed there." She said, pointing to one of the room's four white beds, "Once you've got her there, go the the cupboard near the back of the room and grab everything that looks like it might be used at your standard checkup. I need to go over her vitals. As for you, Arya, sit on the bench there, you're clearly not alright and I need to check for a few things."

She stopped, feeling like that was a sufficient amount of information for the time being. She could explain more once she knew more.

Rein nodded and tottered over to the indicated cabinet.

Unfortunately, the second half of the nurse's explanation had been rather vague. Rein had no idea what might constitute "everything that looks like it might be used at your standard checkup." Hence, she loaded up her small arms with transfusion packs, a stethoscope, a sphygmomanometer, a thermometer, and everything that seemed like it was designed to be stuck into the human body. The sheer amount of items piled up to a stack that towered a good seven centimeters above her head, obstructing her vision. Very slowly, very carefully, she made her way back to the nurse.

Without a word, Arya made her way over to the bench and sat as instructed. She reached up a hand to her cheek, tried to get a feel for how bad things might be... but quickly pulled her hands away the moment she realized they felt as though she was holding five red hot branding irons against the side of her face. She honestly had no idea why the hell she thought it would've been a smart decision; if it stung just from being exposed to the air, why would one dare want to brush their fingers against it?

"So... I guess this is a thing now. Wait, what is she...?" Her eyes drifted over as she spotted Rein walking with about a virtual mountain of medical supplies... and she meant a literal shit ton- as if the girl had just grabbed anything she'd seen laying out in the open. And, well, being the daughter of a doctor... she could tell that only a few things actually in the girl's hands would probably even be needed given the situation... but she honestly didn't much feel like opening her mouth to say anything at the moment. Best to just keep silent and avoid embarrassing her.

Besides... there was still something about all this that needed an answer "What the hell was that light though?"

Nurse Exuberance

Nurse Exuberance had to refrain from gasping at the massive stack of medical supplies Rein managed to retrieve. She just nervously took them and set them on the floor by the bench.

What kind of checkups does this girl have? She wondered.

She then knelt down and took a closer look at Arya's burn. As best she could tell, that's all it was, just a very nasty burn that would probably leave a scar. She grabbed some ointment from the stack of supplies and was fairly certain that's all she would need.

"Alright, I'm pretty sure that all you really need is some of this ointment to help with the pain. But just to be safe I need you wiggle your fingers and toes. And then try to follow my finger with you eyes." She said, stating the simplest methods to check whether or not Arya's nervous system was fully functional.

She held up her finger and waited for Arya to demonstrate that she could move her digits before moving it back and forth to see if Arya's eyes could track it.

(OOC: TBH, I doubt that everything she should do, but I'm too lazy to look things up and I'm P sure at the very least those will go over what I want. If signals can reach your fingers and toes then your extremities are fine. And generally how well their eyes can track something is a good way to tell how dazed someone is)

"Is that really all she's going to do?" Arya thought as she followed the rather... bare bones insturctions and flexed her digits. Her eyes followed exuberence's finger well enough, though she couldn't help the questioning look plastered in them as they did. "After someone just got hit by...by...by..." Again that one question that needed answering. "Whatever... I guess it's kinda understandable, she is only a nurse afterall..."

Nurse Exuberance

Arya seemed alright enough. Nurse Exuberance did a couple more tests, such as testing her reflexes.

"Well, as best I can tell, outside the burn you're perfectly fine." She said cheerily.

Inside she was grimacing, Arya seemed to be in a state of shock, and to be perfectly honest she didn't know how to snap her out of it. Plus she had a second patient who seemed to be in a much worse condition. Exuberance was used to dealing with checkups and first aid, nothing like this. She applied some one the burn ointment and then dug in the pile of medical supplies for a moment before coming up with two small packets.

"Alright, here." She said, handing them to Arya, "This is a painkiller, I'm expecting you're probably going to have a headache after this. You shouldn't take more than two pills a day, there should be six in there. The other one is a sleep aid, again six pills, only take it if you absolutely need it. And if you experience any issues with your motor skills have someone bring you back here immediately."

With that, Nurse exuberance grabbed a few basic tools from the pile--suddenly realizing she was going to have to clean up once these girls had left--and headed over to Lilith. The first thing she did was check her pulse, which seemed perfectly average, though she didn't have Lilith's medical file on hand so she wasn't sure what her norm was. She checked on her breathing, which seemed perfectly smooth, just as if she were sleeping. Her eyes seemed perfectly normal and she couldn't find any signs of physical trauma. As best as Exuberance could tell, Lilith was just asleep. she'd have to keep an eye on her overnight and go over the same tests she had with Arya to be safe, but she certainly seemed fine. Strange, considering Arya was clearly effected.

Not too long after she'd ushered Rein and Arya out and told them to tell their teacher she was keeping Lilith for the time being. She'd also phoned her wife and said she wouldn't be making it home since she had a sick girl to take care of. She was about to settle down with a book when she noticed something odd: Lilith's hair looked like it was glowing. She stood and started to walk over when suddenly the lights flashed out for just a moment. When they came back on Lilith looked perfectly normal again. Exuberance rubbed her eyes and watched intently to see if it would occur again. After a few minutes she simply shook her head and decided she must be seeing things

(OOC: And end chapter 1)