Metagross + family

Helia

So, recently I cought myself a Beldum, and currently it stands as a level 38 Metang, while I'm training it and it's recently caught brothers Galvantula and Houndoom in the Vanhanen Labyrinth.

I always heard so much good about the Metagross family but I must say, using it, I'm quite disappointed.

metang.gif

- Relaxed nature (+Def -Speed)

- Clear Body

- Bullet Punch

- Psychic

- Zen Headbutt

- Pursuit

With Steel no longer resisting Dark and Ghost, and the obvi Fire and Ground weakness, is it really still that good as of gen 6?

I'm thinking of changing it's Nature through that dude in 7th street asap, but as of now, it doesn't seem very useful. Also with the upcoming Gym leaders having Dark, Fire, and Ground, I'm just not sure of it's Usefulness compared to other types.

Any advice would be very appreciated because I feel like I'm wasting my time training this guy.

Keep Zen Headbutt, swap bullet punch for meteor mash, pursuit for hammer arm and psychic for agility.

- Agility

- Meteor Mash

- Hammer Arm

- Zen Headbutt

P. S. Adamant is the best for it. Also don't forget to stack air baloons on your bag for ground moves.

It isn't a bad 'mon persay, as Steel/Psychic is still a very powerful defensive typing, there is just the biiiiig issue of it's speed being pretty poor ((and that Relaxed nature is suuuuuper not helping.)). It's attack stat also drastically increases from Metang to Metagross. ((base 75 to base 135.)) This is a huuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

Keep in mind, there are future Gym Leaders as well, so Having it around might still be a great idea. ((even if it might not be useful now, in the future it could be.))

Basically, see how it is treating ya once you get it up there in levels and it evolves. The Metagross line is very much a line that doesn't reach it's full potential until it hits the final stage. As I haven't palyed the game myself, I might not be the best judge, but I can say Metagross is still a pretty good Mon in 6th Gen. It might not have the impeccable defenses of the previous gens, but it still holds it's own. Heck, Bronzong actually has minor viability in OU because that typing holds up pretty well. ((granted yes it has Heatproof/Levi to get rid of one of those weaknesses, but still you get my point XD.))

Above, I personally hate using moves that drop speed on an Agi set... but as there is no way in hell to get Earthquake on it in Reborn... Hammer Arm is sorta the only option there.

Above, I personally hate using moves that drop speed on an Agi set... but as there is no way in hell to get Earthquake on it in Reborn... Hammer Arm is sorta the only option there.

Brick Break is also an option , or it could use iron defense istead of agility and keep hammer arm.

I would normally be a casual and say to reset until you get a good nature... but I wouldn't want to continuously capture something with a 3 capture rate.

You could always breed for the proper natures & IV's / moves you desire.

Edited by Lostelle

Breeding is your friend, yes. And true, Gen 6 has been kinda harsh to Metagross. But still, it is an offensive powerhouse with nice defenses and a strong set of resistances, meaning it finds it easy to set up an Agility in the face of something that cannot touch it, and then just spam Meteor Mash to kill stuff while increasing its own Atk.

Granted, you are not going to face "something that cannot touch it" anytime soon, given that youhave to deal with the Dark, Fire and Ground gyms, but ehi, types like Fairy and Dragon are left iirc, so Metagross might come in handy against those...

My suggestion is not to use the fellow you have right now: box it, beat the current gyms, then see what new gym comes out in the next episode. If it is something that Metagross resists, there will be plenty of time to do some breeding and grinding then...

It's still pretty good (not as good as it was but) remember that in the (very distant) future we'll have a Mega Ring and Metagrossite so it'll become stronger, now Metang is not a very good Pokemon better wait till it evolves to judge and his nature is bad too (only Adamant for him), for the moveset mine has: Meteor Mash, Bullet Punch (to finish "fast" things and compensate for) Hammer Arm, Zen Headbutt so pretty standard. For the Gym Leaders: it won't help you against Charlotte (only because no Earthquake) but it can stand it's ground against Terra (if you equip him with a Balloon) and surprisingly can kill many (like 3, more if EV trained) of Luna's Pokemon (because Hammer Arm)

Metagross with Bullet Punch is incredibly useful on the coming ice field, saving me a move to set up (agility) while getting of some nice damage. Always going first with Meteor Mash is so good,

By using it on Jynx in the first turn, that guy and Scrafty's HJK beat Blake in 3 turns.

Also, you didn't fight the flying, rock, fairy, dragon (, psychic if you didn't fight Radomus yet) and steel gym (because you're not there yet), against which Metagross will have significant advantages...

Edited by laggless01

Metagross may have fallen from what it was, but the Pokemon is still quite useful should you want to keep him. From what I've seen in the one I've trained is pretty good. Just don't expect him to be this invincible Pokemon and he should do rather well.

Well my expectations are certainly shattered thanks to the training.

Currently we're working out some issues with our trainer-Pokemon bond at the Shrink down in 7th.

While we're there we'll also try to fix why Galvantula is so Docile and why Houndoom is so Quiet.

(Brave Swampert, Adamant Mamoswine and Timid Dragalge is OK tho right?)

Μetagross @ Metagrossite (When u have acces to it)

Jolly

4 HP/ 252 Atk /252 Spe

Clear Body > Tough Claws

Meteor Mash

Zen Headbutt

Earthquake

Hammer Arm/Ice Punch/Grass Knot/Bullet Punch

Extra: Here hoping for future 6 moves slots so the 6 of them are nice and Bullet if u want priority

No need for Agility with that speed and yes the Steel nerf is bad but he can rape anything as always

Edited by Qaaz

Earthquake isn't available for Metagross as we need the TM for it. That's why people tend to run an Agility set.

For now, the best set would be Agility/Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, and Hammer Arm/Brick Break. Its not amazing unfortunately, but this is as well have for now.

Earthquake isn't available for Metagross as we need the TM for it. That's why people tend to run an Agility set.

For now, the best set would be Agility/Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, and Hammer Arm/Brick Break. Its not amazing unfortunately, but this is as well have for now.

Neither Metagrossite

It's a long catch set but even now can do work

(Brave Swampert, Adamant Mamoswine and Timid Dragalge is OK tho right?)

Brave Swampert is okay but not the best (would go Adamant, but it's up to you), Adamant Mamoswine is fine. Timid Dragalge... while the nature doesn't hinder it, it's pretty slow to begin with, so the extra Speed won't help it much. I'd go with another -Attack nature? (Modest preferred, although Bold/Calm help with its bulk a good deal, so...)

I think we have enough suggestions for Metagross but I'm still trying to be helpful idek

So, I just made my Metagross Jolly, as next to Adamant Jolly was suggested here and the shrink made it Jolly after about an hour and I had had it by then.

I'll work on the others.

So, I just made my Metagross Jolly, as next to Adamant Jolly was suggested here and the shrink made it Jolly after about an hour and I had had it by then.

I'll work on the others.

Jolly Mamo is better, well, idk about in-game but in competitive Jolly is preferred d:

Jolly Mamo is better, well, idk about in-game but in competitive Jolly is preferred d:

Mamo is litterally my second fastest.

It only gets outsped by Galva.

it's level 58 with a whopping speed of 121, Galva outspeeds by 1 at the moment and 7 levels behind.

I'll work on the others.

Metagross is really slow so the Jolly version works only if you EV train him but it's your choice

Metagross is really slow so the Jolly version works only if you EV train him but it's your choice

Attack and Speed are the obvious EV's spread for Metagross

and the Mega has a boost later when he have it

Edited by Qaaz