Steel Monotype Help

Mortally Divine

I would like to start a new game, and I was wondering if a Steel Monotype would be possible to do?

I am willing to catch any pokemon that evolves INTO a steel type, such as starting with a piplup (water) for an empoleon (water/steel)

My main question is: Is there enough Steel type options early game for the game to be semi-possible?

You'd have to rely solely on Burmy and Piplup to beat Julia, them and Onix for Florinia. It would be incredibly difficult, if not impossible.

So what I'd recommend doing is either starting the monotype after the first 2 gyms or doing a half mono, Steel types + any starter, (like a Cain-game, but with some random startet)

OK; I'll try the burmy and piplup combo, but what steel types would you recommend after that? I know you can get aron if you have headbutt, and Beldum once you are able to ride a tauros, but that is pretty late in the game to still be putting together a team.
But hey, you dont get lucario until after you beat the Ice guy (forgot his name, episode 14 boss)

---

Obtainable Steel Types: ( A list for myself, and any other people wanting to do a steel runthrough)

Magenmite - Steel / Electric

Steelix - Steel / Ground

Foretress - Steel / Bug

Klink - Steel

Mawile - Steel / Fairy

Aron - Steel / Rock

Beldum - Steel / Psychic

Bronzor - Steel / Psychic

Shieldon - Steel / Rock

Wormadam (trash) - Steel / Bug

Lucario - Steel / Fighting

Probopass - Steel / Rock

Drilbur - Steel / Ground (when evolved)

Escavelier - Steel / Bug

Pawniard - Steel / Dark

Durant - Steel / Bug

Not a lot of options....

Please don't double-post, it's against the rules (found all the way to the left, around your member info).

Anyways, as a final party, Magnezone, Durant, Empoleon, Excadrill, Lucario, Bronzong/Metagross would be my recommendation. That Bronzong is especially needed since it can set up Trick Room, much needed for the not-so-fast Steel type.

I like it, except for the fact that Durant and Excadrill are both Bug/Steel types. Would it be worthwhile to switch out one of them for a Bisharp, so I have a Steel/Dark, so that I have the Dark moves to counter Ghost pokemon?

EDIT: Nevermind, misread Excadrill as Escavalier, looks good now xD

Edited by Mortally Divine

After reviewing, I would need to have one (or multiple) know a Dark/Ghost type move, so I can cover the Ghost type, and an Ice/Dragon/Fairy type move to cover the Dragon type. Empoleon can learn Ice beam through TM, but I can't remember if it is obtainable. IMHO I think the best thing to do is just play the game out, and wing it as I go along, planning all day isn't very fun. Thanks for the help! :)

Mawile can learn the fairy move Play Rough and Crunch for Dark naturally. Though it won't help you much for Shade since you get them after Aya. Forretress has Payback at lvl 36, Steelix can learn crunch at lvl 37, and and bronzor can learn feint attack and payback. Though of these I'm not sure if you can get any of them besides Forretress before shade.

Mawile can learn the fairy move Play Rough and Crunch for Dark naturally. Though it won't help you much for Shade since you get them after Aya. Forretress has Payback at lvl 36, Steelix can learn crunch at lvl 37, and and bronzor can learn feint attack and payback. Though of these I'm not sure if you can get any of them besides Forretress before shade.

Fortress's payback hits pitifully low, trust me i tried.

Fortress's payback hits pitifully low, trust me i tried.

It gets hazards and it's Gyro Ball ain't shabby, but that's it.

Also, OP, I don't really see the need for Ghost/Dark moves. There's Shade, there's Radomus, and that's it, don't need them for anything else, if even for those.

So, I never took the time to notice that the Burmy I caught was male, and NOT female..... FML, MOTHIM Y U DO DIS. Time to go back and catch another I guess, but this is a pristine way to waste a good hour or two grinding it back up.

Thanks for the advice, I just usually like to have all of my types covered =P. I guess I could rely on dual typing and a bit of brute force to get me through any times where I need dark/steel type moves

EDIT: I had a question, the Hiker in question to get the onyx; you said he was by the station, I assumed train station. Is this the Hiker in question? http://gyazo.com/40cac79686103e7aadb2be1bf6023154
all that he says is this: http://gyazo.com/0e966aa61f1d9e5c647383aa49ff93bf
which makes me think I'm at the wrong hiker

EDIT EDIT: Figured it out. Turns out I'm just as stupid as I thought, right hiker, I just wasn't exploring enough.

For Radomus you shouldn't have to worry. This is a monosteel meaning Escavalier is available. With Radomus' Trcik Room strategy, Escavalier becomes a monster that he himself made more threatening. Not to mention steel beats his Gardevoir very easily. Steelix would also destroy his metagross, which is the only thing I can think of that would be a threat. As for Shade, Onix will be your best friend, however, if you catch a Klink, it learns Autotomize at level 31. Meaning if you catch it in the railnet it will learn it before Shelly. By the time you reach Shade, It should be a Klang. Autotomize raises your speed so that could Also help for Chandelure. Not to mention Magneton is available before Shade and don't forget about entry hazards from Forretress. Empoleon also makes Chandelure a breeze. So really, you don't have anything to worry about. No dark or ghost type moves are needed in a Mono steel run.

Thanks for the advice! I was also wondering: what is the earliest time I could get a metal coat + link stone to get Steelix?
I'm also having a slight trouble with Shelly and the dual battle, I'm trying to train Onix to level 34 so that he learns rock slide, which SHOULD make the battle a breeze, considering for some reason Onix has a really high speed stat. ( and 26 IVs in attack and SP attack, which are also high for some reason)

Thanks for the advice! I was also wondering: what is the earliest time I could get a metal coat + link stone to get Steelix?

I'm also having a slight trouble with Shelly and the dual battle, I'm trying to train Onix to level 34 so that he learns rock slide, which SHOULD make the battle a breeze, considering for some reason Onix has a really high speed stat. ( and 26 IVs in attack and SP attack, which are also high for some reason)

The very first Link Stone is gotten post-Shelly at the Grand Staircase, someone's offering it for 10k.

And I'm pretty sure Magnemite in Shade's Gym have a 5% chance of carrying a Metal Coat (or at least they used to, never needed one personally). For that, I'd advise catching something with Compound Eyes, it changes the 5% chance to a 20% one. (Scatterbug/Vivillon, Butterfree, Venonat, Dustox can have Compound Eyes at that point (it should be fine, since you're not using any of them in combat).

Alright, that sounds pretty good. Thanks :)

BTW: Might've not expected it, but so far prinplup/empoleon has swept Corey and Shelly's gym using metal claw and defiant. Extremely strong pokemon

EDIT: and while I'm catching some magnemites.... may as well pick one up for the team :P

If Magnemite no longer carries metal coat, your best bet would be after the battle with the Normal type leader I believe. After you beat him, if you go back into Tanzan Mountain to where you fought a steelix, you can get a metal coat there.

Defenitely want to get that nature changed as soon as possible though. Jolly is not a good nature for a Magnemite/ton/zone. The soonest you can change natures is 7th street, so make sure to do that when you get there.

Will do. Right now Shade is giving me the WORST RNG I've had EVER. I can't tell you how many times I've had his last poke one hit away from death, just for him to get a crit hit ( or a BZZZAPP!! from that complete BS field effect) and kill my last pokemon :(. So frustrating....

EDIT: I dont know why, but for some reason, RNGesus finally accepted me as a disciple... I'm just going to put this in story mode;

Down to his last pokemon, Steelix, tears in his eyes, Steven is about to accept his fate of that weird time warp thing that happens every time he loses. Shade smiles, and withdraws Rotom, sending out Gourgeist. Steelix is confused, but uses Crunch anyways. *chomp* Gourgeist takes about 1/3 HP worth of damage. Steven orders another Crunch attack. Shade withdraws Gourgeist, and sends out Rotom. Steven wonders why, as steelix crunches again, dealing super effective dark damage to Rotom's stupid little body. Another Crunch. Shade switches Rotom for Gourgeist. *What?* Steelix Crunches, hitting Gourgeist, who is now in the red zone. Gourgeist uses Confuse ray. Steelix 'aint got time fo' dat, and finishes off Gourgeist. Rotom is sent out, just to use confuse ray again. Steelix snaps out of confusion, and satisfyingly kills Rotom.

Steven falls out of his chair backwards, astounded at how weird RNGesus is, making him soft reset way too many 19 times, only to give him a cheesy victory.