• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....Why is it THESE two teams..........We all know the Cowboys would have been here had it not been for getting hosed.

I don't like either team, but I'm going to pick the Patriots because at least they already have established their dynasty and we don't have to hear the word "new dynasty" all of next season.

thanks Green Bay....way to choke....Geez...

Let's talk "deflategate".

From what we know:

• Pat's balls were 1 pound under during the first half
  • Balls were reinflated before the second half
  • 11/12 balls were underinflated
  • Balls were okay at the start of the game

Do you think the Pats cheated? Could it be that they were inflated in a room that had the heater on, so when they went outside they lost pressure?

Clearly this issue has got people divided on both sides.

Let's be real for a second. 1 lb isn't going to change a 38 point blowout. Second, ALL QBs have a preference for their balls. Some like them overinflated, others under, some like them scuffed up before the game starts. This here seems like a matter of QB preference to me. It's cold outside, Brady doesn't exactly have big hands, it makes sense that he'd want to ball to not feel like a rock.

The NFL DOES have rules for the inflation of the ball, but doesn't actually specify why. It's also common knowledge that QBs play around with the feel of their balls all the time.

What's y'all's take on this?

Let's talk "deflategate".

From what we know:

• Pat's balls were 1 pound under during the first half
  • Balls were reinflated before the second half
  • 11/12 balls were underinflated
  • Balls were okay at the start of the game

Do you think the Pats cheated? Could it be that they were inflated in a room that had the heater on, so when they went outside they lost pressure?

Clearly this issue has got people divided on both sides.

Let's be real for a second. 1 lb isn't going to change a 38 point blowout. Second, ALL QBs have a preference for their balls. Some like them overinflated, others under, some like them scuffed up before the game starts. This here seems like a matter of QB preference to me. It's cold outside, Brady doesn't exactly have big hands, it makes sense that he'd want to ball to not feel like a rock.

The NFL DOES have rules for the inflation of the ball, but doesn't actually specify why. It's also common knowledge that QBs play around with the feel of their balls all the time.

What's y'all's take on this?

When it's all said and done, it's correct. The balls were inconsequential in this game. Question is has this been done in the past?

Some other things to note.

- Supposedly the backup batch of footballs were used in the 2nd half.

- The Colts footballs were all fine when checked at half, so the likelihood of it being due to weather conditions.

Personally, I would suspend the player or coaches who were responsible for the first four games of next season. Additionally the equipment managers of the Patriots need to be fired for knowingly doing as such.

In my opinion this isn't really as big of a deal as Spygate was back in the day, and even that was overblown. Honestly I think the NFL should just leave this be until after the Super Bowl.

Why doesn't the league bring balls from a neutral source/party/site whatever you want to call it?

The interesting thing about "Deflategate" is that previously, when Indy played New England in the regular season the Colts -did- suspect that the footballs used by the Patriots were underinflated and contacted the league office. (Well, -supposedly-....I'm not to be quoted on that being a fact.)

If -so-, then this playoff game's instance -would- be something to be suspicious about. The common response from Patriot fans and staffers seems to be along the lines of "Other teams do the same thing." as opposed to putting their hands up and declaring innocence in the first place.

As has already been said though, Indianapolis didn't play well enough to question this further and it wouldn't have mattered how cushiony and light the footballs were. The rule isn't exactly defined with a reasoning, but it is evident that underinflated footballs are easier to handle by running backs in colder conditions as opposed to adequately inflated balls.

---

Denver is going to fade very fast. Kubiak is a so-so coach who often does a great job initially and then becomes irrelavent the longer he stays with a franchise. Peyton is just around that age in general, and I don't think he'll be ever overstay his welcome with the league. Playing at his age is more than having a likeable coach.