Monotype run!

Kurotsune

I'm starting my fourth run through Reborn, and I decided that this time I was going to do a monotype run for funsies.

I decided on a few rules and would like to hear suggestions/opinions on what would make the run more interesting.

Here's what I got so far:

1 -> Only use one type of pokemon (duh) that's either pure or hybrid of said type (In my case, Dark)

2 -> No duplicates. You can capture/breed multiple instances of a pokemon, but you cannot keep more than one.

3 -> You can capture other types of pokemon for breeding only, and you can train them to that effect. All the "main" battles (I.E. every fight against an NPC) must be fought with your chosen type and your chosen type exclusively.

4 -> An exception to the above rule is that you can use pokémon that are not initially your type but evolve into said type (Froakie in the Dark types for example). However, if a second evolution REMOVES the pokemon's type (For example, Skorupi loses bug type when it evolves) said pokémon is no longer usable. You can always prevent the evolution, however.

5 -> No HM slaves.

6 -> Pókemon can only learn whatever moves they can learn naturally or through TMs/HMs. Breeding can only be one for IVs.

7 -> The party must always have at least one overleveled Pokémon. This pokémon will always be whichever pokémon would have the most advantage against the next "boss" battle (Be that Team Meteor or the next Gym). In case of double battles, a second pokémon (The second most useful one) will be temporarily raised above the level cap as well. That pokémon's level will be reversed back after the fight is won.

8 -> No revives in battle. Healing items are fine.

That's all she wrote. If anyone has any other suggestions that might make this more interesting/fun, I'm game.

Meet the Crew:

Arkhidon, Level 30

stunky.png

Bastion, level 25

mightyena.png

Revan, level 25

frogadier.png

Pardus, Level 25

liepard.png

Past it. If the level cap is 20, you can go up to the next, 25.

Wait, is it a way to add spice to the challenge, or does the overlevel Pokemon actually obey you, as long as you have only one? And what about the one used by each Gym Leader? Haven't played the latest update(s), so I didn't know of this...

Edited by Tomas Elliot

Wait, is it a way to add spice to the challenge, or does the overlevel Pokemon actually obey you, as long as you have only one? And what about the one used by each Gym Leader? Haven't played the latest update(s), so I didn't know of this...

It's just a way to add challenge. While gym leaders have one overleveled Pokemon, it still obeys them. In the player's case, the overleveled will not obey. It's a power matchup, not an obedience one, unfortunately.

Also, by the sound of it, xe's set on using Dark (Froakie into Greninja and Skorupi into Drapion).

I'm doing a bug run now. It's been a ton if fun and it was cool having to plan around tough opponents like Charolette. Also technician krickrtune owns early game, and Vespiquen helps a lot with the over-leveled pokemon boss battles.

I just need my scizor and volc now...

Scizor isn't coming till after hardy at least. Volc will be late game I would think :(

Current team set-up (Just beat Julia):

EDIT: Just to clarify, yes, I've chosen Dark Types.

I'm planning to do Normal, Poison and Fighting in future runs if this one goes well.

Arkhidon, Level 25 (You had to have seen this one coming)

stunky.png

Bastion, level 20

mightyena.png

Revan, level 20

frogadier.png

Pardus, Level 20

liepard.png

Thanks to Arkhidon, who decided to obey me at the last minute and kill the Electrode.
Good form, sir. Good form.

Monolocke will destroy you.

Keep the mons without overleveling them. As stated, luck doesn't contribute much. What I'd add would be not to have any HM slaves or breeding slaves. That way you make it quite harder.

p.s At some point, you'll have to get a Murkrow. Name it after me please.

Arkhidon, Level 25 (You had to have seen this one coming)

stunky.png

Thanks to Arkhidon, who decided to obey me at the last minute and kill the Electrode.
Good form, sir. Good form.

Damn right I saved you. Do you plan on using just one Poke to overlevel, or will you switch overleveled Pokes according to upcoming gyms/fights?

Damn right I saved you. Do you plan on using just one Poke to overlevel, or will you switch overleveled Pokes according to upcoming gyms/fights?

Right now I'm deciding between overleveling or a monolocke, but if I stick to overleveling, it'll probably be whatever pokemon would be the most useful one against said gym

Monolocke will destroy you.

Keep the mons without overleveling them. As stated, luck doesn't contribute much. What I'd add would be not to have any HM slaves or breeding slaves. That way you make it quite harder.

p.s At some point, you'll have to get a Murkrow. Name it after me please.

I'm willing to roll without HM slaves, but since breeding is one of the parts of the game I really enjoy, I'm not interested in removing it. I could restrict it, however, Like breeding only for IVs and not teaching any Pókemons any egg moves.

He made you a skunk. That stinks! (punpunpun)

Good luck with Florinia (where froakie might get into trouble)

Froakie has Protean. He won't be owning anyone, but he'll be there to provide some support with smokescreen.

I've decided against a monolocke since I'd have to restart (I've thrown my pokemon to die quite a few times already) and I'm too lazy to do so.

He made you a skunk. That stinks! (punpunpun)

Good luck with Florinia (where froakie might get into trouble)

I already told Santa.

On that note, Skuntank is quite good in Reborn. Against several leaders, it's a threat.

In my poison run, he'll be a trubbish.

Skuntank is probably the most important pokemon for the next, what, five gyms?

I think at some point Hunchkrow and Greninja will outshine him (Specially due to Moxie/Protean)

EDIT: Added a couple more rules to the main post.

Edited by Kurotsune

I know he has Protean. I meant that its movepool up to lvl20 limits you to Water, Ghost and Normal.

I'd suggest you consider also Drapion, Shiftry, Scrafty and Houndoom after a while.

And when you reach the routes, you'll get a Bisharp (and a Sableye before that)

Water is hard at first, but then you have soooo many options (if you played from ep10 you also have gyarados early on)

I know he has Protean. I meant that its movepool up to lvl20 limits you to Water, Ghost and Normal.

I'd suggest you consider also Drapion, Shiftry, Scrafty and Houndoom after a while.

And when you reach the routes, you'll get a Bisharp (and a Sableye before that)

Water is hard at first, but then you have soooo many options (if you played from ep10 you also have gyarados early on)

Actually, right around Lapis Ward I should have a pretty balanced team.

I can get Houndoom, Sharpedo, Hunchkrow, Greninja, Zoroark, Pangoro, Scrafty... Probably some more I can't remember off the top of my head.

Also, Arkhidon is being pretty obedient for some reason. I'm starting to think E14 did something to disloyalty... Instead of disobeying me every other turn, he's mostly following my orders, and even when it says he's "ignored orders!" he's used the same skill I told him to. Could someone else test this to see if it's an actual bug or I'm just being really lucky? I'm going to use him more outside NPC battles to see if he keeps obeying me, as well.

Also, Arkhidon is being pretty obedient for some reason. I'm starting to think E14 did something to disloyalty... Instead of disobeying me every other turn, he's mostly following my orders, and even when it says he's "ignored orders!" he's used the same skill I told him to. Could someone else test this to see if it's an actual bug or I'm just being really lucky? I'm going to use him more outside NPC battles to see if he keeps obeying me, as well.

It's the luck of the name.

Though I've had this problem (?) in past episodes. Disobedient Pokemon can still obey frequently.

Kinda kills the whole purpose if he'll still obey me most of the time. I'm thinking for the next runs (Again, not restarting this one) I'll do monolockes... Probably next one will be normal-types only.