Interesting Idea (that will probably never be implemented)

AuthorReborn

So I was giving some thought to the whole idea of finding rare, once in a game,Event Pokemon in Reborn and I began to think about how interesting it would be if there was another rival whose sole purpose was your goal: to beat the elite four and complete the Pokedex. And unlike rivals like Cain and Fern, who experienced their own special events that gave them interesting assortments of Pokemon that we can't obtain (example: Oshawott and Cain) but instead, this special rival would have the exact same events as you and you compete with them for the same rare Pokemon, and as such, they would get stronger as you do. Imagine battling someone with the same goals as you over the corrupted Pokeball or the Beldum. It would add a whole new level to the game. At the same time, I don't think it will ever be added, especially since then it could potentially cripple you if this rival won a critical battle and got a Pokemon that eventually becomes extremely strong.

What would be the point? They'd just be a carbon-copy. tbh, I think you'll be VERY hard=pressed to fine anyone who agrees with you.

I've got a few qualms with the original post here, OP, so maybe you can touch on them a little bit.

- Rival with the same goals and intentions as us - Complete the Dex, Become Champion, being "unique". I don't know if you are familiar with the Generation 1 of the main series games, but Blue/Green/Gary/explicitnamehere/whatever is EXACTLY this. Someone who is charged to complete the Pokedex, and who strives to become champion. If you haven't played Red or Blue (or FireRed/LeafGreen) and didn't know that your rival did these things, that's completely understandable. If you did, then you would have to think that this idea of a rival with the same goals as you would -not- be "unique, because it has been done before in a Gamefreak title. Furthermore, The player actually causes Fern to challenge the Reborn League in Reborn, so it's not like there isn't a rival that isn't competing with you there either. It's just -not- happening very frequently. That being said, I could see Fern arriving and you battling over a legendary Pokemon encounter a few times.

- the relative "strength" of Pokemon. In the main series games, here are some Pokemon that your rivals do get a hold of.

Red/Blue/Yellow - Arcanine, Gyarados, Alakazam, Heracross (FR/LG), Tyranitar (FR/LG) - Blue/Green/Gary/etc.

Gold/Silver/Crystal - Alakazam, Gengar - Silver

Ruby/Sapphire - Altaria, Gardevoir, M-Gallade (ORAS) - Wally

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - Snorlax, Staraptor, Heracross, Roserade - Barry

Black/White/BW2 - Haxorus - Cheren, Chandelure, Mienshao - Bianca, Flygon, Elektross, ..that buffalo thing. :D - Hugh

X/Y - Goodra - Shauna, Talonflame, Roserade - Tierno, Aerodactyl, Florges - Trevor, Altaria, Clefable - Calem/Serena

There are some -very- strong pokemon on our rival's rosters in the main series games, and that's no stranger to us in Reborn. Fern has Krookodile, Ferrothorn, Roserade. Cain has Nidoking and Muk..and so on and so forth. The thing about rivals that makes them easy isn't their team choices most of the time. It's the numbers and AI behind them, as well as our OWN relative skill. I don't think losing a battle and having them acquire a legendary Pokemon is going to have a major impact when we as players have a higher relative skill level than the AI (and in Reborn, it is a little more noticeable than the main series games, I'll give you that...I just question if this will really be impactful or not, seeing as a lot of us -won't- lose to our rivals that often.)

It would get old exceptionally fast if some asshole showed up every single time you're about to get something useful and battled you for it.

A lot of the event Pokemon are happenstance anyway - what, is this person just stalking you the entire game? -There's- an idea for a rival - a Bennet-esque stalker that emulates your team as best they can because they desperately want your attention, only to stop once they realize they're just a creeper and decides to do their own thing to impress you instead.

Basically Bennet but focused on you rather than Luna.

Edited by Hashill

As weird as this sounds, and believe me I know this is gonna sound weird, I'd love to have a stalker-esque rival character. Isn't getting stalked by someone kind of flattering? 'Course I'm not lobbying for some new character to be introduced into the game, that'd be silly. Just thought I'd speak my mind on the topic.

Personally...

I wouldn't mind if we ran into a sort of promiscuous stalker that would make for some hilarious exchanges with Cain and some unsettling bits of dialogue, but I don't think the categories that were politicked for in this thread.

- Complete the Dex

- Challenge the League

- Encounter you while you are about to find and obtain something important with the opportunity to obtain it instead.

...are things that really needed.

Personally...

I wouldn't mind if we ran into a sort of promiscuous stalker that would make for some hilarious exchanges with Cain and some unsettling bits of dialogue.

Oh god help us... something that can actually resist Terra's b00ty, and conspires with Cain... sam.exe has stopped working!

omg...just had a idea (hihi that rymes)

what if the rival or someone else, is a person of the rehabilitation program of reborn

and He/She/Xem catches paires of pokemon to breed and release them

so more of them will be in the wild. It would fit as a minor side story of reborn

but less in our main character's story