Reborn Smash Bros Tournament Rules

Godot

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made some changes to the rules.

Omega Battlefield is replacing Final Destination on the Starter list of stages. Participants also must abide the selector's choice of Omega Stages.

Custom Ruleset Rule added.

List of Judges are made.

Here is a list of stages I am considering for the Wii U version of the game...

Starter:

Battlefield

Omega Battlefield

Smashville

Counter Pick:

Final Destination

Battlefield

Big Battlefield

Castle Siege

Delfino Plaza

Kongo Jungle

Lylat Cruise

Mushroom Kingdom U

Pilot Wings

Skyloft

Smashville

Town and City

I also have seen a ton of tournaments allowing Prism Tower in the smash 3DS scene... anyone have any opinions on that. I once did allow Prism Tower and Tortimer's Island... But those stages had hazards that harmed gameplay... any Opinions on this?

The problem with Prism Tower is that the stage is constantly moving and will leave a player behind. Or a platform will carry a player offscreen.

Tortimeir Island is just a no, we tried it and just... No...

Lastly I saw some wii u footage and someone was playing on Regular Mushroom Kingdom U. And there was a moment where Some creepy rabbit dood popped out of nowhere, threw a Potato sack over Bowser's head, tossed him over his shoulder and SD'd killing himself with Bowser....

Ya that stage is banned as fuck.

The problem with Prism Tower is that the stage is constantly moving and will leave a player behind. Or a platform will carry a player offscreen.

Tortimeir Island is just a no, we tried it and just... No...

Lastly I saw some wii u footage and someone was playing on Regular Mushroom Kingdom U. And there was a moment where Some creepy rabbit dood popped out of nowhere, threw a Potato sack over Bowser's head, tossed him over his shoulder and SD'd killing himself with Bowser....

Ya that stage is banned as fuck.

That rabbit is named Nabbit

• 3 weeks later...

Made some changes to the rules.

Omega Battlefield is replacing Final Destination on the Starter list of stages. Participants also must abide the selector's choice of Omega Stages

Here is a list of stages I am considering for the Wii U version of the game...

Starter:

Battlefield

Omega Battlefield

Smashville

Counter Pick:

Final Destination

Battlefield

Big Battlefield

Castle Siege

Delfino Plaza

Kongo Jungle

Lylat Cruise

Mushroom Kingdom U

Pilot Wings

Skyloft

Smashville

Town and City

I also have seen a ton of tournaments allowing Prism Tower in the smash 3DS scene... anyone have any opinions on that. I once did allow Prism Tower and Tortimer's Island... But those stages had hazards that harmed gameplay... any Opinions on this?
I updated the OP and tested out most of these stages for Wii U counter picks. I haven't tested out Big Battlefield, Kongo Jungle, Castle Siege, or Duck Hunt yet. But I did test the rest.

Mushroom Kingdom U, Pilot Wings, and Skyloft are banned.

Mushroom Kingdom U has the Nabbit stage hazard. If he didn't exist I would have considered this stage more.

pilot wings tilts like how lylat cruise does, but way worse to where it can actually harm gameplay. The plane can also collide with a cliff and kill a player randomly.

Lastly, Skyloft is out because there are some stage elements that can drag a player off screen unfairly with no way to get back to the stage.

There were also some changes in the additional rules regarding Bowser, Rosalina, Yoshi, Zero Suit Samus, and Peach that was removed due for the 1.0.4 patch.

• 6 months later...

Kinda got bored and updated this. I want to run more tournaments, but between a mix between awkward time intervals and the fact that this game is split between two separate games (Wii U/3DS) it makes things a bit awkward.

Will note that some 3DS tournaments have been enabling Brinstar as a counterpick stage, so that is something to consider as well.

Also, GOML's Wii U ruleset had ruled Kongo Jungle, Castle Siege, Skyloft, and Ω-form Gaur Plain as legal counterpick stages in addition to those listed on the OP.

Town and City was named a Starter/Neutral stage almost unanimously in the most recent Smash 4 ruleset survey on Smashboards.

Note on Ω-form stages:

Typically, if and when Ω-form stages are legal, those that have straight down the stagesides to the bottom blast line are banned as they give an advantage to characters that can wall-jump, and also hinder some KO methods (such as stage spiking). Preferred Ω-form stages will have medium- to short-length slanted walls below the stagesides which encourage stage spiking and discourage wall-jump recoveries. Typically there will be only one Ω-form stage legal, but it depends on the tournament. The game is still fresh and rules are still, of course, tentative.

The following Ω-form stages are mostly agreed upon as good Ω's:

An asterisk ( * ) denotes preferred Ω-form stage due to likeness to Final Destination

3DS

• Gaur Plain*
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • 3D Land
  • Rainbow Road
  • Jungle Japes
  • Spirit Train
  • Corneria
  • Mute City
  • Magicant
  • Arena Ferox

Wii U

• Palutena's Temple*
  • Gaur Plain*
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Mario Circuit
  • Mario Circuit (Brawl)
  • Kongo Jungle
  • Skyloft
  • Pyrosphere
  • Norfair
  • Port Town Aero Dive
  • Halberd
  • Orbital Gate Assault
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Castle Siege
  • Flat Zone X
  • Skyworld
  • Smashville
  • Town and City
  • Wuhu Island
  • Pilotwings

Cool will add. Also, if there is a need for a 6th counter pick for 3DS, I will go with Brinstar. Though I might just go with that over Arena Ferox, we will hafta test that later.

As for Wii U stages, I am well aware with what stages some tournaments are legal and which are not. I purposely left Town and City out of the neutral pick to;

A. Get matches to start faster.

B. Town and city is not a Truely neutral stage that gives an unfair advantage to Fox, Pikachu, Yoshi, Diddy Kong, ROB, and Rosalina. (From the top of my head)

Three neutrals or five neutrals are fine. I respect your decision on town and city but i personally support its position in the neutral simply because stage strikes are a thing. Just my two cents.

If you launch any tourneys, i'll be playin'. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have soe questions, Gentleman's rule for any agreed stage/ Each stage only once rule?

DLC character fates since not everybody has them?

Will DLC stages be legal since they are good stages other than ryu's?

Edited by blasterman4

I have soe questions, Gentleman's rule for any agreed stage/ Each stage only once rule?

DLC character fates since not everybody has them?

Will DLC stages be legal since they are good stages other than ryu's?

The only thing I can really speak to is the fates of the stages. Right now, Dream Land 64 is a counterpick stage (assuming both players have it, otherwise banned), Suzaku Castle is banned, and the fate of Miiverse is still up in the air, but I would imagine it becomes counterpick as well. Personally, I think it is best to treat Miiverse as banned for the time being.

As for the characters, we might follow suit of the larger-scale tournaments in that all three will be banned until after EVO, which is in mid-July. That gives ample time to practice matchups both offline and online, and allows us to make sure that the fighters' balance is on par with the other fighters. After that, I'd wager that you will be able to pick the DLC fighters even if your opponent does not have them, unlike stages; at least that's how I remember it working with Mewtwo in online matches.

Of course this is speculation, wolf/godot has the final say.

If I had a tournament like now, I would allow Ryu, Roy, Mewtwo, and Lucas, but as for Dreamland 64, not sure. Simply because not everyone has that stage. I wish it could be included, but the fact that no one has it hurts it. It is a great counter pick that was insanely popular among competitve melee players and it suits the playstyle of most close range or heavyweight characters and that is a great stage dynamic to have in the mix. It's just the "not everyone has it" quirk that is weird.

I am kinda running along by my own rules rather than EVO's there is a few things with the official Smash ruleset that I am not a huge fan of.

• 3 months later...

Basically what Godot said. It would allow the person who does own it to have an advantage because they've been able to practice on the stage while the other person hasn't had the opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

would 1111 mii's be allowed?

Trust me, they aren't worth using. The only one who's better moves are the defaults is Swordfighter, and that one still suffers from a lot of endlag and extremely subpar recovery. With customs, they are a hell of a lot better. Just one move change alone gets rid of one of the worst moves in the game on Brawler and replaces it with the best possible move in his kit.

Trust me, they aren't worth using. The only one who's better moves are the defaults is Swordfighter, and that one still suffers from a lot of endlag and extremely subpar recovery. With customs, they are a hell of a lot better. Just one move change alone gets rid of one of the worst moves in the game on Brawler and replaces it with the best possible move in his kit.

gunner can be argued, since it has good recovery and is able to cover it better w/ 1111, even though missiles are better then the PK fire clone

Hey guys,

Just learned a trick that if you pick Random, the game's stage choice defaults to that of your opponent. This makes Dream Land 64 a more feasible option assuming at least one of the players has the stage. This is something to consider for future amendments of the rules.

• 1 month later...