Version Exclusives

AZKnight

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Pokemon Black & White are you going to buy?

• Pokemon Black
    • Pokemon White

So I was looking up the version exclusives between Black & White trying to decide which game to get. After all, it's usually the version exclusive Pokemon that decide it for most people. Then I noticed that there was an added list about White Forrest. At first I thought neat, here are a bunch of non-Unova Pokemon that are found in the White exclusive area. Now let's see what Black in its counterpart, Black City. Oh, wait, IT GETS NOTHING!

What kind of bullshit is this. It's one thing to have version exclusive Pokemon and I expect it, but this is just too far. The list is pretty extensive, too and contains but is not limited to:
Abra
Machop
Gastly
Porygon
Togepi
Ralts
Slakoth
Trapinch
Bagon
Budew
Happiny

You mean to tell me that with White I get the additional access to Pokemon like Machamp, Gallade and Salamence while Black gets no such counterparts. It just seems way too unbalanced between the two versions. Has anyone else noticed this and has it effected your decision on which version you are getting? I just felt like venting about that.

Odds are, I'll get whatever version the majority of my friends do NOT get. There's always trading after all.

Anyway, this was just going to be me venting about White Forrest, but what the hey. Might as well poll people on which version they are getting and why while I'm at it.

• Administrators
Got Black.. In part because I didn't know about this. Part because I like Gothitelle and Reshiram better anyway...
I'll probably play and English Rom or something though for comparison...

What really makes this even more awful is that many of these Pokes are awesome, which makes White a...better choice. Out of that entire list, I only don't like...Slakoth and Happiny. Seriously, what the hell is this?

QUOTED FROM SEREBII: [quote]These include 32 Pokémon unavailable in Black and a variety of items.[/quote]

>32

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

(Also, wtf, 2 people still voted for Black in the poll after reading this)

I really wanted to get Black if only to get the less popular version. Like I said before, you need to have people with both versions because you [quote name='Will' post='11278' date='Feb 25 2011, 04:13 PM'][b][i][font="Impact"][size=5]GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!!![/size][/font][/i][/b][/quote]
But unlike previous games where it was personal preference, White appears to be an all around better option. Well, maybe not, only if you are concerned with non-Unova Pokemon. For Unova exclusive Pokemon there are only two normal ones that are different. Black has Gothitelle and Mandibuzz while White has Reuniclus and Braviary. It would appear that Whimsicott and Lilligant are also exclusive, but there is an in-game trade where you trade one for the other so you can still get both in both versions to a degree. Then of course both have there own Legendary Pokemon. Now for me I prefer Reuniclus and Braviary to Gothitelle and Mandibuz so White appears to be the better choice for me. I know Ame prefers Gothitelle and despises Reuniclus which is why he probably got Black. I also prefer Reshiram but one legendary does not outweigh two Pokemon.

Again, it just makes me sad. I really want to get Black over White, but I cannot let emotional and unfounded preferences dominate over logic. I just get the feeling that most everyone is going to be getting White. But based on everything I said, there is nothing in Black that I cannot get myself using Platinum and HG except for Reshiram and Tornelos.

Oh, and the fact that I hate Iris. Drayden looks sooooooo awesome! He just matches the image of what a Dragon trainer could look like as a hulking and intimidating figure but probably wise, too, because of his white beard. Beards make everyone cooler. Iris is pretty much the same age as Ash or at least a very young child. She should not be the Dragon Gym Leader nor should she be the last Gym! BLAH!

[quote name='Andrew' post='11280' date='Feb 25 2011, 06:57 PM']No poll option for neither?[/quote]
Of course there is an option for that. It's called not voting. I mean, I could have also put, "Do not know yet," "Waiting for "Grey," "Both," etc. but that just gets messy and dilutes the results.

• Administrators
Actualy I don't dislike Reuniclus at all, I just don't like it when compared against Gothitelle specifically.
Furthermore, my thoughts on all this White Forest stuff are as follows: Blahfuckeryhumbug. I trust Nintendo to make Black City worth its while somehow, even if we don't know how that is at this time.
Also I strongly prefer Iris to Shaga... I was disappointed when I found out he even had a possibility to be a leader. I don't care about the dad, I care about the energetic girl. Duh.

Allegedly Black City will be populated by a changing number of trainers to be battled as well as items to be collected.

While the White Forest has a variety of Pokemon to be caught and raised.

However, we must all remember the vast advances that Pokemon is making with its technology, and thanks to connectivity it is supposed to be possible to connect to a friends White forest or Black City, where you may partake in its own trainer and item or Pokemon-y glory.

I also must agree with Mr. Amethyst in that The fine folks at nintendo or game freaks would not simply make a version any better or worse than the other. in the end you should still choose based on preference of Pokemon, whether or not you want to deal with rotation or triple battles, or do as Mr. Taro did with Ruby and Sapphire flip a coin, if you're determined enough, being stuck in the black city will not stop you from making the most of your Pokemon experience or catching and raising as many or as a few as your hearts desire.

Until now, i had no idea which version. oh wait, i still don't. while i like all the white version exclusives... I like being able to beat the pants off more trainers on a regular basis. for experience and money and whatnot. Ridiculous, really. >>

Despite all the differences there are between the versions, it really just came down to the two Unova exclusive Pokemon: Gothitelle vs. Reuniclus & Mandibuzz vs. Braviary. Like I said, that was a clear choice for me. Every non-Unova Pokemon can be obtained through my other Pokemon games. Legendaries I've never given that big of a hoot about. Trainer battles vs. Wild battles does not really matter to me, although I guess trainer ones are better. Once you get to the metagame it hardly makes a difference which one you choose. So I chose based on what I wanted while playing the story. Which was two Pokemon. I guess there really isn't that big of a difference.

Oh, and I guess the aesthetic differences. There are a couple locations where in Black everything is techno-future while in White its rural-classical. I do not know where these locations are and they are limited but hey, it's cool. Imagine if there had been geographical differences in Ruby and Sapphire from Team Magma and Aqua's schemes.

There are many more exclusive pokemon that i know will effect peoples decisions, especially those who have already experienced the new pokemon. For instance i know Mr. Taro is going to purchase Black version due to the fact that Whimsicott, and murkrow are exclusive to it, and that Miss Saya is purchasing white due to Ghastly's and Doridia's exclusivity.

That being said the pokemon in the white forest are exclusive only to white unless you are connected with a friends, so there is no other way to receive a Ghastly, Machop, or chansey without the white forest or without trading, and since those are very popular options with trainers, it will have a large impact on the decision they will be making very soon, seeing that the game comes out in only a day.

• Administrators
I've already preordered Black, simply because I didn't use any of the version exclusives in my playthrough of the ROM, so I think I can deal.

...and then I see that Misdreavus and Mismagius are exclusive to White. I hate GameFreak sometimes.
First FireRed, then Diamond, then Platinum... And now this. ._.

• 2 years later...