Need help for the fight against Shelly

Lord Chespin

Hey! If it's not too much to ask of, I'd like to know if somebody could give me some tips for getting through the third gym (the real third gym, not Corey's bait-and-switch gym). My team keeps getting sweeped by her starting 'mons; I haven't even survived long enough to see her Volbeat. Are there any Pokémon, items, or strategies that I could use to make the fight a little easier? Any advice you could give would be welcome!

If i remember correctly Shelly took me like 5 or more tries to defeat. I kept resetting to understand what the heck was killing me all the time and it was her Illumise's Confuse Ray after all. You really have to use super effective moves espec against her Yanmega. That means powerful fire and flying poke/moves. Use elemental monkeys if u want, they learn Acrobatics at lvl 31 and can have taunt for the annoying confusions. My pampour wrecked her Yanmega with Acrobatics, i used Taunt on her Illumise for the confuse ray and i also used Light Screen with my Braixen to take the Bubblebeams from the Masq. Rest was just luck :P

I would get a Fire-type, were I you- it makes this fight a lot easier. There are a handful available to you right now: Growlithe, Litleo (which is starting to lose its usefulness about this point, but it's still there) and Numel (actually probably the best because it can kill the field with Lava Plume iirc) come to mind.

There's also Vulpix, but while this is the point where that Klinklang becomes a good deal more manageable to take down, it still requires a good deal of planning. Drought and turning the field to a Burning one via Flame Burst kind of murders her, though.