[IC] ANKL. Part 2

Shamitako

Alva didn't look like she fully understood it, but she nodded anyway. "Alright then. Just you, me, and maybe Riley. I can fill in Esyllt after? If you don't mind, that is. She was there, so I think she should know too?" Alva resumed unpacking. She'd gotten her clothing, some school supplies, and other such things, and was getting into more personal items. Starting with what seemed to be a plush dog toy. And then another. And then one of a cat. She'd gone back to humming a bit as she did this, although would more than likely be open to further conversation.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Perhaps you're right." Was all Kaede really said in response to Alva wanting to tell Esyllt, and in honesty it probably was. She after all, maybe only being a party that was a bystander to the event, was there for it. Kaede just wanted to deal with as few people as possible. Riley was going to be perhaps difficult on her own she didn't really want more problems. The morepeople there were the less Kaede wanted to really be there. More chances...

She had for the most part fallen silent again, now sitting in the center of her bed. She was holding her knees to her chest. She wistfully glanced over at Alva and just watched her unpack for the time being. The subtleties of her movements, and watching what she pulled from her luggage. At first it was just clearly clothes, things for school. But she eventually got into personal objects. Kaede was mystified by such things. She had none herself, other than her books, and was always fascinated by the idea of people keeping objects that had some sort of greater meaning to them. She perhaps, her books taught her how to feel that way about something... though she still wasn't really sure how to understand it. Books were practical in some sense. They could teach, they could pass time, but some objects people held sentiment for hadno such purpose. She wasn't sure why people or how people could grow such attachments for those things.

"Alva..." she said, half unaware she had, until realizing she spoke. Too late to stop now but Kaede felt strange. She almost never started talking about something. She usually only spoke when spoken to. "Those toys... why do you keep them?"

Alva blinked, pausing in her unpacking and holding the plush cat still. "Oh, these?"  she said, patting the head of the toy for a moment. Then she stopped, a bit of a blush of embarrassment developing. "Uh... I know it's kind of childish... I keep them because they're comforting. I like having them, and they remind me of home. It helps me sleep sometimes, when I miss it. Does that explain a bit?" she'd absentmindedly resumed the patting as she explained. 

Sharp

It didn't take long for Platinum's knock to be answered by a familiar face. "Hello Miss Platinum, are you our new roommate?" Sharp asked. Nothing in his tone or demeanor gave away whether he thought Platinum's presence was a good or bad thing, but at the very least he didn't seem unwelcoming. Her opened the door fully and stepped aside to let Platinum and Esyllt

Sharp wasn't the only familiar face present, behind him was a face that Esyllt recognized instantly. Her hair had changed color, becoming white with a hint of blue to it, but there was no mistaking those pale pink eyes. This was the girl who had rescued everyone from Katja. There was also something else familiar about her, but Esyllt would struggle to recall what in the wake of the initial recognition.

The girl was lounging on the lower half of one of the room's two bunk beds in her underwear, she seemed largely disinterested in the new arrivals until she noticed Platinum. In a flash she was out of the bed and wrapping her arms around Platinum, whose face ended up shoved in her bare bosom. "By the goddesses you're so tiny and adorable!" She announced cheerfully as she squeezed tighter. At some point between leaving the bed and arriving around Platinum, sunglasses and a surgical mask had appeared on her face, concealing it from any potential onlookers in the hall. It was an odd choice, considering the fact that the rest of her body was still largely exposed.

"l don't really understand no." Kaede stated plainly. The issue perhaps twofold for Kaede. She was never allowed to keep such things, objects with no express purpose or value. She had no personal belongings growing up and she still didn't have ones besides her books. Her parents forbade such things. Further, home wasn't a place Kaede would want to remember, she'd not miss it. She was about as happy as she could be that she was far away from that place. "How can such objects invoke those feelings? l don't understand."

Alva shrugged, and put the toy down, neatly organizing the trio of plushies before pulling out the fourth (and seemingly last), a bear. "Well, it's a few things. A couple of them, my parents gave to me when I was a kid. It reminds me of them, and I love them. A couple others were given by friends and remind me of those friends." she paused, trying to figure out how to word the next part. "It's... less the things themselves, more how they remind me of people and places that I love, that makes them comforting. And that they're sort of cute, that also helps."

Platinum

“It would appear so, Aker” Platinum stated, giving Sharp a quick nod as she stepped into the room. She wasn’t expecting to see him specifically, but it was at least nice to see a familiar face in this transfer.

… Of course, not long after Platinum stepped into the room, she froze, staring at the half naked girl in the room. That was also not what Platinum was expecting (then again, she doubted anyone would’ve expected that), but like Sharp, there was something familiar about the girl… At least, before she had gotten up, put on a surgical mask and sunglasses, and then practically glomped Platinum hard enough that the smaller girl almost fell over again, the air being knocked out of her body The only reason she didn’t was because the girl was holding her up… With her face buried in the girl’s… Bosom.

Needless to say, this sudden predicament was incredibly shocking and embarrassing to the small girl, causing her to drop her luggage as she tried to pry herself off of the girl, “Let… Go! I need to breathe!” she stated as she did so, her face already reddening from the situation.

"l see. My parents... didn't let me have such things. Not that l wanted them but they'd not have allowed had l the desire. l... don't really understand what love is though. l don't now what it feels like or how l'd know. l know l don't have it for my parents however. They aren't people to be loved, or at the least they don't deserve mine if l'm capable of such a thing." Kaede just dropped this without thinking it through but she didn't worry about her words in Alva's presence. lt was similar to talking to Arturia in that regard. She just spoke rather than remain silent. Her parents were firm believers that children should be seen, not heard. She had it burned into her, literally at times, that she was only to speak when spoken to. But she forgot that in the presence of some.

"l must be, because this books remind me of Arturia and our friendship. They are the only thing anyone's ever given me. l feel something for them even if l don't understand why. On my own... l rarely feel anything. Grey... all emotion a sea of grey waves. They are different and yet so similar that difference might as well not exist. An illusion of difference is not truly difference and yet... perhaps it is. But, l can't decipher one from the other myself. l rarely feel the colours strongly enough to understand what they are. Someof them are the same colour but they radiate different energy. lt makes it a confusing mess. l wish l could feel... like a human. Perhaps then l could feel on my own, feel something more than a passing indifference. l can only feel things strongly enough in response to another person. You made me feel things vividly for a time Alva. Many colours that l'dnever seen before. They were... pretty. Even if they were frightening and confusing." Kaede said all of this into her lap not bothering to lift her head out of her knees to speak, but she did now.

"Alva..." she started, but hesitated for a moment. lt was clear to Alva that Kaede had to work herself up to say this,as if what she was saying was wrong or perhaps taboo in some way. Kaede was about to ask something she was expressly forbidden once. But, her parents weren't here now. "l...don't understand love. l don't, understand emotions. What are they for? They seem... Arbutrary, friovolous. l was told once that they'd only serve to hurt me, cause me undue pain. That they were unneeded for a doll like me. But, l want to understand them. l don't like grey. l like the colours in the stories l read, and the colours l feel. Would you... teach me?"

Esyllt

Her first reaction upon stepping into the room had caused her to freeze on the spot much like Platinum, but for different reasons. It wasn't so much her drastic contrast in appearance, but the presence of the same girl with pink eyes who had bailed out her group during the school trip. Admittedly, she wasn't attentive enough to recognize every student of the Opium Institute, but Esyllt hadn't ever recalled meeting her before. The thought trailed to the possibility of Katja possibly being a student as well, but she would certainly hope not. It was becoming more difficult to know who she could trust at this point.

Esyllt began deliberating about how to handle her initial reaction, as she didn't want to answer any questions about how the two knew each other, but it seemed as though her concerns were unfounded. The girl with pink eyes had defused her dilemma rather quickly as she practically barreled towards Platinum. Esyllt's initial expression of shock had turned into her doing a poor job of trying not to crack up.

"Pttf, right? I resisted the urge to do so myself, but it seems as though I missed out," she said in agreement with the naked girl. She headed over to one of the free bunks and set down her belongings at the foot of the bunk. "Esyllt Morrianas. I would have said 'Let's get along with one another," but you seem to be way ahead of me."

Alva listened quietly. She couldn't claim she understood everything, at least not very well. Kaede was... from an entirely different world than she was. That much was clear. Also clear was that her parents... well, she didn't think she would be able to forgive people who did things like that to their own child. She didn't know that she could help, but if Kaede thought she could... "I'm not sure if I can help... but I can definitely try, can't I? I think... I think being your friend is a good place to start, don't you?" She stood up and smiled at Kaede, before giving a theatrical curtsy. "I'll do my best to help you!" she said. She paused for a moment, then seemed to think of something. She turned and grabbed a pair of the plushies from her neat row of them, the dogs. "I know it's a bit silly, but..." she handed one out to Kaede. "I'd like you to have this. A gift as thanks for having me as your roommate! ...Maybe when you hold it, you'll think of me?" she seemed a bit embarrassed about that, but kept her hand extended, offering the toy. 

"Uh...uh..." Kaede seemed lost for words at the sudden gesture. She wasn't expecting Alva to give her a gift of all things after asking that question. She froe for a moment unsure of what to do. But, her arm seemed to move itself on instinct after a moment. She took the small toy from Alva and held it to her chest. She did it similar to how one would hold a book with their arms crossed up to their chest. The back of the dog's head was visible above her two hands and it's legs popped out a few places. "Thank you Alva. l, don't really have alot of friends. Arturia is m... was my only friend." she quickly corrected herself. She now had two after all.

"l'll try and think of you, l do not know if that works for me. But, my books... make me feel closer to Arturia. Perhaps this can serve as such for you." she as she raised up from her bed. She wandered over to her bookshelf. One of the rows at the top was not quite full. There was place for an end cap. She placed the dog there, working to have them stand up straight and alert. The little white pup stood at attention, though it still had an adorable quality to it. "She will guard my most treasured possessons. She can protect my library. She shall be known as Heather."

Caliko

The girl let go of Platinum as soon as she was asked. She scratched the back of her head sheepishly. "Sorry, I'm not usually like that." She apologized, "You're just such a cute little girl, I couldn't help it." She looked out into the hall to make sure no one else was around before removing her mask and sunglasses. "I'm Calliope Azreal, people call me Caliko." She said with a deep bow. It was at this point that Esyllt and Platinum would realize where they knew her from. Caliko was a famous pop artist, she was known for her exceptional voice and her fervent promotion of the church (though most artists were known for the latter).

Platinum

Once the girl let go of her, Platinum took a few steps back, taking a deep breath before putting a hand to her face, which was still completely red. In all honesty, she was used to people finding her ‘cute’, even if it was annoying at time, but this was the first time someone had hugged her like she was a stuffed animal.

However, before Platinum could really continue with that thought, the girl had introduced herself, causing Platinum to practically freeze as her hand lowered from her face, a look of surprise being clear on it, “Wait, THE Caliko?” she asked. Now she understood why she looked familiar, she was famous, for crying out loud.

With the realization though, Platinum cleared her throat, the red that covered her face finally starting to fade, “Well, my name is Platinum Mirazaki, a pleasure to… Er, meet you, Caliko. I’m a big fan of your work” she greeted as calmly as she could. Of course, internally, she was practically screaming in joy and embarrassment, but she at least managed to keep those in check.

Lilith

Lilith seemed hesitant, yet without actually hesitating to speak. "How is it that you and that other girl have powers like mine?" She asked. Even if she wasn't the only one, it seemed unlikely that two others would show up where she could meet them. Something more had to be going on. 

Stole Tys

Another knock sounded at the door to Kaede's (and now Alva's as well) room. It was too early for Arturia to be back, and Kaede wasn't expecting anyone. There was a non-zero chance that this was a second new roommate, but considering how hard it was to keep even just Arturia in with Kaede, that seemed unlikely.

They didn't have to wait long to find out who it was, as they let themselves in. She was a modestly dressed young woman who looked a bit like an older Kaede, perhaps her cousin. Kaede knew her of course, it was her assigned mentor, Stole Tys. She visited occasionally to check up no Kaede and make sure she was prepared for her future. For her part, Tys didn't mind Kaede's generally apathetic attitude, probably because she wasn't much different. She felt that the two had a passable business relationship, and that was all they needed. That didn't mean she was indifferent to Kaede though, in fact Tys legitimately liked her. It was too bad that the entire point of mentoring the girl was to teach her how to not act like herself, Tys thought Kaede was a far more likable person than her mothers and their empty smiles.

"To be totally honest, I don't completely understand what's going on myself. I'll do my best to tell you what I know, though." Arturia hesitated slightly herself. "It still sounds a little crazy when I say it out loud. I met Kallisto and she did something to awaken some kind of power inside me; that's where the lightning sword thing and the fancy outfit came from." She wasn't liable to admit out loud that she actually liked said outfit. It made her feel knightly. "Though I thought that was weird, because lightning is historically associated with Layla. . ." Perhaps it had something to do with that vision she had, or the fact that she'd considered becoming a Laylite once upon a time. Or maybe the latter had led to the former? Who knew. "Uh, anyway, I got the impression she could do that for other people. I don't really know what was going on with the girl with the bat, though." A note of anger entered her voice at the mention. "Pretty sure it was the bat, and not her."

"I, um, understand if that's a lot to take in. I'm still kind of dealing with it myself."

Kaede

Kaede started the second she heard the knock on the door. She hadn't been expecting anyone else today as Arturia shouldn't have been back yet. She about knocked some of her books flying at the speed of which she withdrew her hand in surprise. Further, she heard the door opening. Further cauing her heart to leap up her throat. She took a deep breath and cnetered herself however... returning to her more neutral stance. She felt some sort of colour at the sight of who it was however.

"Tys. l wasn't expecting you today. What's going on?

Lilith

Lilith wanted to scoff at Arturia. She believed in the goddesses, but the idea of actually meeting one in person was something she could only dream of (and she often dreamt of meeting Layla). But it also made a lot of sense to her, perhaps... "I don't know how, but I'm certain my power came from a goddess as well." she muttered, "But a bat accessing an inner power? It would have to find a way to access the soul. A direct connection would be impossible, maybe through the blood stream? No, more direct than that, it would need to go through the nervous system." Lilith's thoughts were moving too quickly for her to question how or why she knew these things, or for arturia to interrupt. "In that case, the best method would be iron and copper. But it would need to be reinforced spiritually, maybe with silver?  Then all that would be missing would be a catalyst to destabilize the metals into a spiritually reactive liquid while running a current through. Arturia, when's your next period?" As soon as the question left her lips, Lilith's eyes widened in shock at what she had just asked. Discussing anything related to reproduction openly was very taboo because of the church, though because of the health implications, periods were a bit of an open secret. Still, directly addressing them to another person was an uncomfortable thing. 

Arturia shook her head slightly and blinked a few times in obvious startlement. She'd been interested - if a bit surprised - at Lilith's sudden tangent about magic, and equally surprised in how the girl still hadn't figured out just who and what she was given her inexplicable knowledge of magic, excessive physical power, and control over both lightning and darkness when pressed. The question about her monthly cycle, though, hit her like the conversational equivalent of a brick, leaving her momentarily floundering for the correct response. She settled on her default response; bluntness followed by inquiry, though her face utterly betrayed any attempt at being truly blase about the question by turning bright red. "Zero, actually. Why?"

Alva

Alva blinked as someone allowed themselves into the room. She'd sort of expected it to be that Arturia girl, the third roommate, but she had seen the girl before and this certainly didn't look like her unless she had suddenly had an absolutely astonishing growth spurt since the last she saw her. And maybe plastic surgery. Or even just magic, since that was a thing now. So in short, extremely unlikely to be Arturia. For a half second she was worried it was someone like Katja - but then Kaede turned and addressed her by name. Safe then. Probably. Alva waved energetically, as usual. "Hi there! You know Kaede? I'm Alva, her new roommate! Nice to meet you, Miss... Tys? Am I pronouncing that right?"

Lilith

"I'm..." Lilith didn't really want to answer, especially after she and Arturia had mutually turned red. "I'm not really sure, but I think I know how to make a weapon like that girl's bat. But I think it needs period blood or..." Her voice turned to a whisper as she uttered and even more forbidden word, one she wasn't even sure Arturia would know, "Semen." She went totally silent as her face became a burning sun that lit the darkened room,and didn't resume her explanation until Arturia prompted her, "It needs a biological component to be 'born,' so those are the obvious choices." Something was nagging her though. She was certain that her initial thought would work, but it would be very volatile, there had to be a safer way to go about it. "Oh! It's so obvious, I can just use milk!" She now felt doubly foolish over bringing up... The thing she didn't even want to give purchase in her thoughts. It was such a simple answer, there had been no need to embarrass them both. Realizing this just led her to further embarrassment, of course. 

The "forbidden word" also made Arturia uncomfortable... granted, not nearly as badly as Lilith, and for some different reasons too. Her desire for a boyfriend at some point was one (though admittedly dating in general was rarely a thought that occurred to her, except perhaps the thought that it may be expected of her at her age.) She cleared her throat a bit to prompt Lilith, and tried to allow herself to calm down slightly. She nearly succeeded in quelling the crimson in her cheeks, until Lilith mentioned that she could use milk instead. Her hand unconsciously drew up towards her chest. "Milk? But wouldn't that, uh, I mean, that would be even more inconvenient. . ." Wow, the table in front of her was suddenly very interesting, or at least you would think that from how intensely Arturia was staring at it and not Lilith right now.

Lilith

"Oh, no that's..." Lilith wasn't sure how to respond to that, since it hadn't been her intention to suggest that. She wouldn't get a chance to respond yet either, as the door creaked open and the light just inside was switched on. Lilith panicked, she hadn't planned for this. "You have to leave, now." She told Arturia firmly, standing and trying to usher her friend to the back door before it was too late. 

Esyllt

Esyllt could finally put a name to a face, as she disregarded their previous encounter with Caliko during the school trip as a proper meeting. It was difficult to find a person who hasn't heard of Caliko by this point, whether by her music or by the chatter of the other girls. Esyllt wasn't as huge a fan as Platinum was, but it didn't stop her from appreciating how talented Caliko was. After setting down her luggage, Esyllt wasted no time in crawling into an empty bunk and lazing about. There would be plenty of time to get acquainted with their new dorm mates.

"Looks like we got lucky with our room assignments this time, didn't we, Platinum?" she said with amusement. Although Esyllt had regained her composure for the most part, she couldn't help but glance over towards Caliko every now and then.  She had questions about the school trip, but now was not the time.

Arturia stood, confused, but did allow Lilith to start shuffling her off in the direction she wanted. . . though likely not as fast as the other girl would have liked. "What's going on?" she asked, lowering her voice. "You just not supposed to have guests over, or what?" Remembering what Lilith had said weeks ago in that crater, she had her suspicions that it ran deeper than that. Still, she waffled on actually asking about it. If there was, what was Arturia supposed to do about it? If Lilith couldn't just fight her way away from them and run off, something told me that physically trying to fend off her abusers - if that was even what was going on - wasn't going to be a good idea. And it's not like she had some kind of. . . political influence or whatever to help her that way. She supposed that she could offer to let her squat in their room, Kaede would probably understand. . . They were supposed to be getting a new roommate, but she doubted that situation would last long. "If you need help, I can try to do something," she said finally.

Lilith

Lilith hesitated, seriously considering Arturia's offer. What she would have answered didn't matter, as that hesitation was enough to prevent Arturia from escaping successfully. 

A woman entered the kitchen, flicking on the light and momentarily blinding the two girls. When Arturia's vision cleared, she would be able to size up the woman. She looked a lot like Lilith, if Lilith was in her late thirties and a little overweight (though not so much as to be unattractive). In her arms she was carrying a paper grocery bag, which she set on the table before addressing Lilith and Arturia.

"I didn't know you were having a friend over today, Lilith, is she here to help with work?" The woman's voice was surprisingly sweet, practically dripping with honey. It almost sounded fake, but the woman's eyes smiled sincerely, making it hard to tell for certain. 

"She was just leaving, Cora, she has nothing to do with this." The panic in Lilith's voice gave credence to the fake theory. 

"Is that so?" The woman, Cora apparently, spoke to Arturia directly, "That's unfortunate, maybe some other time then." 

Lilith gave Arturia a pleading look, but it was unclear whether she was pleading for help or for Arturia to escape. 

Caliko

"That's great to hear." Caliko told Platinum, "I'm always happy to meet my fans." 

"Caliko, you should tell them before you forget." Sharp spoke up. 

"Oh, right. Nobody knows I'm here so I'd really appreciate if you'd keep it a secret and call me Azreal when we're not in our room. I'll compensate you of course, hush money or... other things." Caliko winked at Platinum. 

"Caliko, don't tease." Sharp scolded. 

"Alright, alright. You're no fun." Caliko pouted, "I mean I can give you signed memorabilia and stuff. Though for such a cutie, the previous implication is not off the table." 

Caliko caught Esyllt's glancing looks and responded with a discreet nod. It wasn't clear what this meant, but at the very least she had acknowledged that she recognized Esyllt from the trip.