Pokemon Academy Ch. 3: Queued-Up Battles

Jory

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, this is a new day (day 2 of the Cup and it's 10 AM when the first battle starts). I already mentioned the rules in the OOC: 2 vs 2 single battles, no switching allowed.

Danielle vs Evan

After Brand's excited explanation about the new field, a field with a steel cage rose up from underground. It was smaller compared to a normal field, or any of the others, limiting the room for dodging. And to secure the titanium bars Brand's company had made sure all attacks could be absorbed. There was no explanation how it worked, since Brand didn't want to bore the audience, as he waited for Danielle and Evan to arrive.

He did explain one crucial detail: leaving the cage through the bars, which was possible for Ghosts and small Flying types, would resolve in a forfeit. Aside from that there were no additional rules as it was basically a brawl in a steel cage.

((Think the size of a boxing ring, only a little wider))

Slade vs Jacob ((Field number 3: fire field!))

In front of Jacob and Slade a new battlefield arose from the ground. It looked pretty normal except that this time also parts of the grounds between the field and the audience were replaced and soon they were surrounded by molten lava. The temperature sky rocketed and people on the front seats already started to sweat.

But this field also had safety measures; Pokémon couldn't get knocked into the lava. A metal construction made sure to guarantee a Pokémon's safety, but of course it couldn't stop a fire type from diving straight into it. There was one downside; the bars were incredibly hot so burns were more likely to happen.

Finish the battles at your own pace, but try to finish them up before the IC reaches the point where your battle is next. You should have enough time though.

{Danielle vs Evan}

Danielle walked into the steel cage cautiously, examining it from all different angles. She then contemplated on her three Pokemon; while Avis and Corona would be ideal for this type of battlefield, it also imposes a greater risk of an accidental forfeiture, since they are both so small and can easily fit through those gaping holes. And given what she knew about Evan's team (thanks to the database), Danielle normally would, again, want to go with those two due to their agility.

‘It doesn’t help that Mr. Brand isn’t giving us any more information about this cage.’ Danielle thought as she stared at the arena. ‘There has to be something to it other than those bars, but what? I don’t want to send Avis into a death trap by mistake…’ Danielle took a deep breath and unlatched her Great Ball from her belt. “Alright, Zared, you got your wish. Come out!” She watched as her Mawile popped out of his capsule; his battle cry could be heard echoing throughout the stadium as he got into position. ‘Zared is the most defensive Pokemon that I have at the moment, if anyone could take a few hits for me while I figure out this cage, it’s him. It also helps that he battled in tight places before.’ “Be careful, Zared. Just don’t get knocked out of this cage and you’ll be fine.” She finally turned to Evan and forced a smile. “Good luck then.”

The Mawile just nodded at his master’s suggestion. He knew his way around that obstacle as soon as he set foot on this small stage. Right now, he’s more focused on Evan’s side of the field. Let’s see if Evan can back up those words he used yesterday. This could either be a delicious treat or a disappointing trick. Zared just hoped it is the former.

{Jacob vs. Slade}

Jacob looked toward the field anxiously. Well, I'm glad I at least know how to play The Floor Is Lava, he joked in an attempt to defuse his nerves. No matter who I pick other than Spitfyre, they're gonna have a hard time. But Teo's light enough to get thrown onto those bars, whereas Chalchi's an immovable object. I guess I'll have to play a different game than usual, he thought to himself. Still, no matter what I'm using Teo for the next round. There's no way I'm winning this tournament and not sharing the glory with my best friend! The Trainer, having decided on his team, took the two Balls off his belt. He grinned and looked at the Capsule on each Ball. They're gonna love these, he noted proudly.

"Alright, Spitfyre, let's show'em what we're made of! Come out and play!" he shouted loudly enough for the cameras to hear. He tossed Spitfyre's Ball in the air. It opened as it sailed toward the battlefield, releasing the Charmeleon in a swirling vortex of orange and blue flames. Spitfyre landed adroitly on the field and roared a challenge at Slade, sending a gout of flame into the sky.

Raiza vs Ryan (Forest Field, remember 2 vs 2 singles and no switching out)

As soon as Brand was done announcing the battle between Raiza and Ryan, the forest field rose up from the ground. It looked identical as the one that was used the first day; 8 random tries that were connected with thick ropes. Small drones flew around to film the entire thing. All that was left to do was for both students to release their first Pokémon.

Danielle vs Evan

Evan didn't even bother faking a smile. All he did was give Danielle the finger as he released his first Pokémon; Vaporeon.

The water type stared at his opponent and knew exactly why Evan has chosen him. Nike, the Ninetales, didn't like to battle so there was the possibility she would lose due to her nature. And since Evan disliked their opponent so much it wasn't really a surprise to start with his ace.

“Water Pulse!”

Triton obeyed immediately and fired one blue sphere towards Zared. Let's see what this Steel type got.

{Danielle vs Evan}

"Sorry, I'm taken. Zared, Bite into Fairy Wind!" Danielle was honestly more disappointed that he didn't lead off with any other Pokemon. Of all the Pokemon he has, Vaporeon is the one that Zared will have the most trouble against. Well, she might as well focus on what her Mawile could do. 'So much for sportsmanship...' she thought bitterly, losing her facade.

Zared growled loudly at Evan's rude gesture (Intimidate). It's one thing to be bitter, but another thing to directly disrespect a girl who actually tries to make peace. And Evan wonders why that witch bird glares at him every single damn time! He raised his huge mandible to Bite the orb of water, causing an explosion of smoke. The smoke soon began making it way over to the Vaporeon, propelled by the pink Fairy Wind that Zared was directing. As soon as the smoke was far enough, the Mawile also began to run forward, letting the smoke be his cover as he made his way over there to deliver some punishment for that insult.

Danielle vs Evan

"By the dumbest guy in the entire school," Evan snorted at Danielle's comment. "Pull a Jacob," he said as the Mawile approached. Since everyone seemed to enjoy naming their tactics, Evan decided to just steal them and use the trainer's names.

Triton saw Zared coming at him and froze the ground in between them with Aurora Beam. Attacking head on wouldn't work on him so he continued to freeze the field and started to slide, using his tail to navigate.

"Lana."

This tactic worked a little bit different compared to the original, but the field worked in Evan's favor as Triton shot up multiple water pulses against the steel cage. The attacks bursted into smaller parts and started raining down.

{Slade Vs. Jacob}

'Well, time to get this train wreck a-rolling!' Slade thought to himself trying not to think of the lava surrounding him and how he might fall in. Though he shouldn't be worrying on such things and focus on his battle. For now he decided start it off with his main buddy and see where that takes him. "Flare, lets show them how bright we shine together! Come on out!" Slade yelled as he readyed Flare's ball.Slade then threw his pokeball out and out came Flare with white sparkles surrounding as he appeared. He then glared menacingly at Spitfyre (Intimidate) as he was ready for battle. Slade then looked towards Jacob, "I hope this will be a good match, and may the best man win. Though we both know who that is." He said smugly.

{Ryan vs. Raiza}

Ryan stood at his side of the field, analyzing the battlefield before him. I don't see any of my teammates being able to gain any advantages on this field. This is a tough decision. Let's see, Raiza has Rogue, Toothless, and Lucifer. Type advantages, movesets, etc. Who would be my best choice? Ryan ran his fingers over the three pokeballs hanging off of his belt on his right hip. I'd love to change up my compositions and not have to use my dynamic duo in the same fight again, but I guess it's all I have. Glacien would probably be a good defensive decision if Rogue is her first choice. Regardless, Glacien is capable of taking on both Toothless or Lucifer, and I know damn well he can take some hits from Rogue. Looks like the decision's been made. Ryan slid his fingers across Glacien's pokeball, finding a comfort feeling in the small scratches that he and Glacien had formed in the ball during their time in Mossdeep. He pressed the button and felt the ball expand in his hand. He placed a small kiss on the button before tossing the ball into the field. With a flash of light, Glacien leapt out of the ball with that goofy cliché grin. With a tiny trill in his voice, Ryan spoke to Raiza. "I'm readyy~"

{Danielle vs. Evan}

"EXCUSE YOU? He is not--" Danielle stopped midway as she saw Zared skating past Triton with his knees buckled in. "Zared, you know what to do." She said more calmly, regaining her focus onto the battle. She can't allow her emotions to overwhelm her. As her mentor once said, once you lose them, you automatically lost the match. This was proven again and again during her time here in Ymora; Jacob, Kristen, and even Mareek! 'Deep breaths Danielle... Deep breaths...' she recited as she looked up at the shower. "So that's what that cage does..." she muttered to herself as the cool water droplets rained down on her skin.

Ever since they got back from the trip in the mountains, Danielle has allowed Zared, Avis and Corona to practice on various fields in the training facility and let them roam around in hopes that they can develop some strategies on their own. This was especially important for Zared, Danielle had claimed, since he lived his life inside a cave full of rocks and water and nothing else, which puts him at a disadvantage from the very beginning. He had scoffed at that thought continuously until he found himself on an ice field. Zared remembered that he lost a match to Corona (miserably) because she managed to zip by his attacks every single time! It didn't help that he always fell on his face or his behind either. He had hated the ice with every fiber of his being until he finally saw the firebug's trick. Finally, he got to show off what he has learned since he left the mountains.

Although the rain made it more slippery for him to maintain his balance, it also served as a springboard for Zared. This allowed him to propel at speeds he could never muster on solid ground. He used a Fairy Wind to quickly change course and used the pink wind and the momentum (provided by the slippery surface) to speed towards the Vaporeon, his body turned into a metallic gray all the while (Iron Head).

{Jacob vs. Slade}

Jacob laughed quietly. "Hey, you don't have to compliment your opponents. Let's get this show on the road, huh?" he said excitedly. His battle nerves were kicking in. It's funny, he thought as everything felt like it was moving a little slower. I get this adrenaline surge every time Spitfyre and I go into battle together. It's almost addictive, he pondered. Then, he smiled, ready to start. His Charmeleon looked nearly unfazed by the Intimidate, if anything growing more resolute at the Arcanine's attempt to make him nervous. Still, the passion in the other Fire-types made him nervous. This could be a tough battle after all. "Alright, Spits, let's do this! We're done with our qualifiers now, so it's time to get serous. Maneuver Gamma Two, go!" he declared.

================================

{Accumula Town, Robertson House}

Jacob's parents and uncle were dumbstruck when their little boy claimed he hadn't been serious the whole tournament so far. "You mean... He was just playing with those other two when he wiped the floor with them?" his father asked slowly, scarcely believing the change that had come over his son. The boy who'd left not a year ago hadn't seemed like the type to hold back. Unless... he thought.

"He's using one-offs," his uncle breathed, looking toward Jacob's father. "Disposable strategies meant to be used once and for surprise value. But he's only a first-year," the man continued. "He's way ahead of the curve. I don't think this Kafkin boy knows what he's in for."

================================

{Jacob vs. Slade}

The Charmeleon leapt into action with startling speed, moving toward the Arcanine rapidly. The Charmeleon began spewing smoke like a locomotive as he went, the dark-colored haze blanketing the battlefield in a low-vision environment. Spitfyre's tail began to glow white and he jumped into the air, landing just before the Fire-hound and swinging his tail while keeping his feet pointed perpendicularly to the Arcanine's line of sight.

{Raiza vs. Ryan}

Deep breaths. Okay. Okay. She'd deal with her parents later. It didn't help any that they were somewhere in the stands watching-- or not. Raiza didn't know. What mattered now was this battle; This guy-- Ryan, right? He'd chosen his starter immediately. Glacien. The cute Water-Ice ball seal of blubber was bulkier that any of her 'mons, and typewise, had an advantage over all three of her choices. The girl breathed in the artificial forest air as though it would clear her thoughts; the woods would help support her choice. It was kind of an obvious one, actually... She just hoped her baby boy was feeling up to it. His reunion with his mother seemed to have uplift him, anyway.

Good for him; that made one of them in the light of feeling great.

"Good luck, have fun; and no hard feelings, okay?" Raiza hollered across the field. Ryan was a nice person; she had lunch with him and his boyfriend Kage some time ago. Even then, that wasn't a reason to hold back. "Take the stage, dearest!" A flash of light and some bright embers scattered on the grass floor, licking away at the leaves slowly, and Lucifer popped out of the capsule, snickering ominously. He saw his prey today, and this time, he wasn't going to let it get away.

{Slade Vs. Jacob}

"Sniff him out Flare, then show him that our bark is not as loud as our bite!" Flare's nose glowed a dim neon green and he searched for Salamander's scent (Odor Sleuth). Once he caught a whiff of it he was able to notice the attack before it hit and side stepped to avoid it. After, he opened his mouth and his teeth gleamed with a shiny white glow as he lunged towards the scent ready to bite it. (Bite)

{Jacob vs. Slade}

He's gonna have to think a little faster than that if he wants to stand a ghost of a chance. We've been training for weeks and I'm not losing this tournament anytime soon, Jacob thought, reaffirming his convictions and pumping his fist backward. "Now, snap the trap shut! Finish Gamma Two, then enact Tronjheim!" the Trainer shouted, proud of how well Spitfyre was doing so far.

The Charmeleon smirked lightly as Flare fell for the bait. He slid his left leg back, his chest beginning to swell while he continued backward as the Arcanine lunged forward. The Fire-type ended up directly above Spitfyre, his abdomen exposed to attack. A blue energy blast in the shape of a dragon's head erupted from Spitfyre's mouth and directly at Flare's underside.

{Slade Vs. Jacob}

Flare was launched up as the attack hit his under belly landed onto the ground. He quickly got up though that last attack obliviously did a good chunk of damage to him. 'Walked right into that one, oh well, I have some ricks of my own too.' Slade thought to himself. He then started to chuckle as he grew with excitement, "Ok buddy, glad you're able to shake that off. Now, let's show them how speedy you can be then use a B, I, T, E!" He said with a short pause after each letter. Flare then left a light blue light trail (Agility) as he sped towards the Lizard with his jaws ready for biting. (Bite)

{Ryan vs. Raiza}

"Of course no hard feelings!" shouted Ryan across the field. Inside, his brain was a mess trying to analyze the situation in front of him. Energy Ball... Energy Ball, how could I forget energy ball! What's worse is that he's not making the first move. Whatever, if Glacien drops too low, I have my ace in the hole move. "Water Pulse!" Little Glacien, with all his might, unleashed a powerful Water Pulse towards Lucifer, pushing him back with all the force he exerted. He stood defensively in preparation for Lucifer's move.

Danielle vs Evan

Evan smirked. If she wanted to turn this into a close combat battle, she was right where he wanted her. “Aqua Ring.”

The Vaporeon stopped skating as he cloaked himself with a bubble of healing water. He didn't even made an effort to try and dodge the Iron Head as the move hit and sent him sliding over the ice.

This time there was no need to copy someone else's moves as Triton already knew what he was supposed to do. One look at his trainer earned him a nod; the signal he was waiting for. The water type kept its cool as he slid across the field and fired an ice cold beam in all the colors of the rainbow (Aurora Beam) and tried to freeze the water droplets that covered his opponent.

{Danielle vs. Evan}

"Expand the Tornado." Danielle replied, remaining calm despite the uphill climb. While not a great maneuver for the male Pokemon, it was an effective counter for this type of situation. Plus, this looks pretty if used in a contest.

Zared sighed to himself as he whipped up the Fairy Wind around him to dislodge most of the icy particles from his body. Thank Arceus his steel body is used to the cold, since metal and all. He knew Avis would have screeched if any of it got on her precious feathers. He then allowed the Fairy Wind to expand around the arena to pick up the water/ice droplets so that it could hit the cage harmlessly. The added benefit (if any) would be to deal some chip damage to the sliding water type as well, but it's not a requirement. Now if only Fairy Wind wasn't pink... Damn, he could feel his manliness drop every time he had to use this trick.

{Jacob vs. Slade}

We won't get anywhere in this tournament if we're not willing to endure hardship. No pain, no gain! Jacob thought to himself as he readied his next attack. "Alright, Spitfyre, just like we practiced. Use our defensive strategies!" the Trainer ordered. The Charmeleon nodded and braced for impact as the fiery canine came barreling into him. He moved his tail in front of him, wincing as the attack landed on his appendage. However, now he had the Arcanine right where he wanted him. The Charmeleon dug his claws into the dog's mane. His chest turned blue as he readied another Dragon Rage, then unleashed it at Flare at close range.

Danielle vs Evan

Triton enjoyed the raindrops falling on him as he skated around the ice. "Go closer and put the pressure on! Lana's Barrage!"

This time Vaporeon slided straight at Zared and fired multiple little spheres of water at him, trying to pin him down against the cage.

{Danielle vs Evan}

"Go straight for secret."

Zared allowed the Water Pulses to push him into the cage, allowing his hands to touch the steel bars while his jaw took the brunt of the force while he converted the air into his fairy typing move. Once there was enough water on the field, he propelled himself directly towards the Vaporeon once again with the gust. This time, his jaw was open wide, attempting to take a bite of the Vaporeon in order to pull off a Pain Split.

{Ryan vs. Raiza}

"Baby, you got this and you know what to do, but I'll be coaching you a little bit from here, okay? Now, Calm Mind and dodge it!" Lucifer took a deep breath and steadied his thoughts as he dove behind some nearby foliage to dodge the Water Pulse arc. "Use the field to your advantage, sweetie. It's just like when we played Hide and Seek!" A distant memory began to replay in the Ghost-Fire Pokemon's mind, but he shut it down. Yes, he would graciously accept his Trainer's help in this battle, but he was bent on taking down that Spheal. He'd humiliated himself twice, far too many times. Hovering lower and weaving in between the fake trees, he made his way closer to his opponent and halfway through, he let loose colorful balls of light that flew off to his left, into the clearing and into the Spheal's field of vision.

{Slade Vs. Jacob}

Flare once again was hit by another dragon rage, and was sent rolling a couple feet back. He slowly got up, since two direct hit can do that to anyone. Though Slade smirked as Flare got up after the hit, as did Flare. "Ok Flare, now it's time to Turn the Tide!" He yelled thrusting his arm out with and open palm. Flare was then rushed towards Spitfyre with even faster speeds then before leaving a blue trail of light as he did so (Agility). While he was speeding towards him blue orbs spun around him and made their way into him as he glowed a faint white afterwards (Reversal). What they didn't know was that Flare was planning on side-stepping around the fire-type before the made contact then ramming him from the side.

{Jacob vs. Slade}

Oh, crap, he's still using Reversal. Still, I don't want Spits to be in the way when he gets there. "Get out of the way and counterattack!" Jacob shouted. Spitfyre acted quickly, Digging into the ground as the Arcanine approached with blinding speed. Had the fiery hound not feinted, he likely would have made direct contact, but the hesitation allowed the Flame Lizard time to get fully into the hot ground beneath the arena. However, dodging was much different from hiding. The ground rumbled underneath the Arcanine as another Dragon Rage came roaring out of the hole Spitfyre had crawled into, threatening to hit the Arcanine if he didn't move quickly.

{Slade Vs. Jacob}

"Flare, move quickly, then sniff out that lizard." Slade said as Flare was easily able to move away from the dragon rage from the previous Agilitys he had done before. His nose glowed again (Odor sleuth) as he quickly locked onto to the scent almost immediately since he already knew what to look for from the earlier use of it. The fiery dog stood there, ready and daring the lizard to show his face as he once again summoned the blue orbs glowing a faint white (Reversal).