Mega Charizard X for Penelope?

Joker

So as you may have noticed Penelope has been... under performing. So the gang at Redemption HQ have considered giving her a little love tap in the buff department. Obviously, we can't give her Mega Salamence as it's Ubers. However, we thought Mega Charizard X would be just the thing she needs to help with what she struggles against. However, we wouldn't want to make such a decision without the thoughts of the people that make Redemption so great. The challengers! So, like what we did with Helen and Mega Aggron. We're going to hold a poll! If you're in favor of Penelope getting access to Mega Charizard X, or not, simply vote in the straw poll provided. You can also express your thoughts on this post as well. We want to hear your opinions on the matter!

Vote here: http://www.strawpoll.me/12527350

lowkey overshadowed redemption weekly sorry xiri bad timing on my part <<

Personal opinion: i don't mind either way. 

Somewhat wierd opinion:(warning might be confusing considering english ain't my first language so open spoiler at your own risk)

if i'll look at Helen's aggron... It starts as steel/rock so it doesn't really violate the typing until it mega evolves but as for charizard it starts as fire/flying which violates the typing until it mega evolves.

Now with that in mind aggron just by itself passed as a mon for rock mono tis just unfortunate (?) That its held item remove its secondary typing. However zard itself doesn't belong to dragon masterrace(seriously who's idea not to give it dragon typing) so i don't think its acceptable to put it on a dragon mono even if you'll guarantee its held item will make it dragozard

I haven't battled Penelope yet, but by watching a few battles, her team seems like pretty solid already, but I wouldn't mind too (as sailboat stated). I mean, increasing her array of options is always good for a player that is already restricted with a type, so...I vote yes for M-Charizard X, but, would she be allowed to keep Charizard without mega evolving (who knows if that could help her someway)?

21 minutes ago, HUEnd said:

I haven't battled Penelope yet, but by watching a few battles, her team seems like pretty solid already, but I wouldn't mind too (as sailboat stated). I mean, increasing her array of options is always good for a player that is already restricted with a type, so...I vote yes for M-Charizard X, but, would she be allowed to keep Charizard without mega evolving (who knows if that could help her someway)?

No. Once Charizard is on the field it has to mega evolve to get dragon typing.

To elaborate on this reasoning a bit...

Mono Dragon suffers the worst "Feast or Famine" play style of any monotype (yes, even more than Fire), which is quite unhealthy for any game in excess. Meaning either she sets up and sweeps you hard (Feast), or you bring a Fairy/Ice type and curb-stomp her (Famine) as Mono Dragon has 0 safe switch-ins for these types (Dragalge and Turtonator aren't favorable choices for obvious reasons). For this, X Zard would be a net for her, so to speak, so she has a more reliable way to combat Fairies and Ice types specifically.

Now of course, X Zard is a powerful DD sweeper of its own, so this would also make her "feast" moments even stronger, which is really hard for us to keep in check given Mono Dragon's insane number of set-up sweepers. Normally, this kind of issue can be remedied with the unpredictability of Doubles and Triples, and while this safely tones down the "Feast" moments, it actually does very little to stop the "Famine" moments. With one Trick Room user (Exeggutor) one awkward Wide Guard user (Turtonator) and missing several other strong utilities(Fake Out, Quick Guard, Prankster) Mono Dragon has to rely on Tailwind (or occasionally Rain) to have any upper-hand in Triples. Another option for this is to let Penelope go all-out on counter-teaming against these weaknesses which is... not fun or fair really. I'm not even sure it would remedy her main issues at all.

For Helen (Mono Rock) and Mega Aggron, her type was in constant "Famine" with little to no "Feast" moments, so it was slightly different than this case. Mega Aggron helped cover Mono Rock's several weaknesses and give breathing room to let the rest of the type shine.

TLDR; X Zard would make Pene's weaker moments much stronger but also make her stronger moments a little bit stronger too.

I voted no, seeing in that her triples team practically collapsed (Based Scarfkiss owo) on me once her Kingdra died,and that her Mega Altaria was predictable as hell with protects as I'd barely used Mamo, and even then that was locked into Ice Shard and killable. (Mind you I have no WG,she could've spammed spread moves on me for days and won with specsdra + wide guard instead of critdra). She also has a perfectly nice DD Spam team that she could put MegaZard on,with perhaps a bulkier variant that WoWs shit. In all honestly, she should rework her teams or come up with new strats before you guys give her a new mega, or possibly more down the line if this "problem" (aka she can't counter certain types well, but all monos have that problem really with one or two mons) persists

the problem with reworking her strats is there are only really two viable strats for her. one is to attempt to overpower in singles via dd spam or just choicing everything. the second is triples tailwind.

penelope has one mon with wide guard and zero with knock off. so things like p2 and alolatales give her more than a hard time. both of which a decent amount of people run. sure, theres kommo-o but that really only deals with p2 and it can bulk anyway. penelope has no reliable switch ins for alolatales or ice in general aside from turt which is booty in singles. you can run triples, sure. but seeing as turt is her only access to wide guard its easy to predict and deal with it. which means after it dies its very well gg for her. anything else is either gimmicky or c-teamy for dragon. i could go on but im really tired.

i understand your thought process here but its not as simple as reworking her strats.