Looking for Watertype for Dive and Surf

Cepheus

Since we are getting and needing (finally) Surf in the next Episode I have to look for a Pokemon that can learn theese moves, and advice on which Teammember to retire for said Pokemon.

My current Team is in my Trainer Card... but just in case:

Blaziken (Fire/Fighting)

Bulk Up

Brave Bird

Sky Uppercut

Blaze Kick

Gourgeist (Ghost/Grass)

Rock Smash

Seed Bomb

Shadow Ball

Phantom Force

Krookodile (Ground/Dark)

Earthquake

Crunch

Outrage

Strength

Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy)

Moonblast

Psychic

Calm Mind

Shadow Ball

Magnezone (Electric/Steel)

Discharge

Magnet Rise (may come in handy against Terra^^)

Flash Cannon

Flash (think I'll need it later... and just found the TM)

Noiver (Flying/Dragon)

Air Slash

Dragon Pulse

Shadow Ball

Cut (Planing on getting Boom Burst)

I'm thinking of ditching Gourgeist since I have Ghost-moves (Shadow ball) and Dark moves on my other Pokes, and Magnezone can get rid of pesky water-types (as long as they don't have Ground as second type)

Currently available Water-Types (on PC)

Piplup (Water -> Water/Steel)

Lumineon (Water)

Panpour (Water)

Lanturn (Water/Electric)

Azurill (Normal/Fairy -> Water/Fairy)

Lotad (Water/Grass)

Surskit (Bug/Water)

Binacle (Rock/Water)

Krabby (Water)

Shellos (Water -> Water/Ground)

Omanyte (Water/Rock) [fossil revive]

Kabuto (Rock/Water) [fossil revive]

Tirtouga (Water/Rock) [fossil revive]

Vaporeon (Water) [when my Eevee breeds me some eggs^^]

Gyarados (Water/Flying) [i actually don't want to use it...]

Personally I'm thinking about one of the many Water/Rock-Types to prepare for the upcoming battle against Ciel and her Flying-types.

Help and advices would be appreciated.

PS:

I'm not going to do endless breeding just to get one or two fancy moves or IVs... I find breeding soooo boring and I don't have the patience for it...

I only breed Eevee at the moment so I can get all the eeveelutions :D

If you're looking for a Water/Rock type then I'd go Omanyte. Omastar has pretty nice special attack, and access to shell smash. Surf and ancient power should work pretty well.

Carracosta also has access to Shell Smash and is pretty snazzy as well. Though I haven't used one in Reborn... (I should fix that.) Its Special Attack isn't as good as Omastar's is, though... it does have more Attack, however, and could make better use of Dive.

Gastrodon's giant HP stat together with a gem called "Recover" is excellent, and i'd definitely consider. Good enough SpA and Atk to use both Dive and Surf. Just don't throw it in front a Grass type or something.

Even if you said "I don't want to use Gyarados", it's not like you should teach Surf to it or something. It's going to be bad on Gyarados. HOWEVER:

You could teach it both Surf and Dive to serve as a "HM slave" for water moves. After all, Gyarados has more than enough to hold it's own, and it's not going to be a "wasted slot" with a HM Slave.

Consider Ludicolo and Seaking too. Seaking cuz it gets LightingRod, but that's about it.

I trained an Omastar up to 60 today to have something ready ... damn that took a while and it's so slow xD

I'll need to get that Mudkip first... didn't have rainy day for that guy, who makes that Mudkip spawn, in a while and I generally don't like tinkering with that Date-weather changing thing because I don't want to run around with the same weather for a week or so

(That's why I came up with that weather-station idea a few weeks ago^^)

I'll definetly look into it, and now Mega-Swampert was leaked :D

I think I'll train a Gastrodon (I have a shiny Shellos *yay*) and see how this goes.

yeah Water HM-Slave... thats the one and only thing I didn't like about Gen 3... if you wanted full exploration you needed a water type with all 4 Water HM-Moves. I'm glad they reduced the Water-HMs in later Generations.

And I normally don't want HM-slaves just to get along the roads... a water type with pure water moves... I made this mistake when I played Gen 1...

By god if we have to use Rock Smash in Episode 13 I'm gonna scream! because I just ditched my Gourgeist with Rock Smash for that Omastar / upcoming water-type.

Plz Ame give us an Base-Item that equals to Rock Smash... that move just wastes a slot...

I trained an Omastar up to 60 today to have something ready ... damn that took a while and it's so slow xD

I'll need to get that Mudkip first... didn't have rainy day for that guy, who makes that Mudkip spawn, in a while and I generally don't like tinkering with that Date-weather changing thing because I don't want to run around with the same weather for a week or so

(That's why I came up with that weather-station idea a few weeks ago^^)

I'll definetly look into it, and now Mega-Swampert was leaked :D

I think I'll train a Gastrodon (I have a shiny Shellos *yay*) and see how this goes.

yeah Water HM-Slave... thats the one and only thing I didn't like about Gen 3... if you wanted full exploration you needed a water type with all 4 Water HM-Moves. I'm glad they reduced the Water-HMs in later Generations.

And I normally don't want HM-slaves just to get along the roads... a water type with pure water moves... I made this mistake when I played Gen 1...

By god if we have to use Rock Smash in Episode 13 I'm gonna scream! because I just ditched my Gourgeist with Rock Smash for that Omastar / upcoming water-type.

Plz Ame give us an Base-Item that equals to Rock Smash... that move just wastes a slot...

well, for Omastar i think you train it....wrong. Omanyte can learn Shell Smash at level 50. And Omastar: LEVEL 67. So the best way is keep Omanyte unevolved till level 50 (for me: level 55 so he can learn Hydro Pump either, and Omastar can only learn it in...level 75 -_-). Without Shell smash, i'm not surprise when you said this thing is slow :( and you can use both Dive and Surf for this "star" (well, shell smash boost both Atk and Sp.Atk double right?)

HM slave is not a bad choice either. In normal game I often use 2 HM slaves (one for ground, and one for water), but this is Reborn -_-. At least 5 well-trained pkms is required to deal with every problem. So you should teach someone Rock Smash already.

@gutten-tag

yeah I totally forgot about Shell Smash at 50 for Omanyte... and currently I don't have anymore Heartscales (was fishing 3 hours for Luvdiscs results: 80% Basculin, 15% Mantykes, 5% Luvdiscs and 0 Heratscales through Thief... was Luvdiscs encounterrate nerfed??)

And I don't care for Hydro Pump because I'll get Surf and Dive on it... the other moves will be Shell Smash and Ancient Power.

@gutten-tag

yeah I totally forgot about Shell Smash at 50 for Omanyte... and currently I don't have anymore Heartscales (was fishing 3 hours for Luvdiscs results: 80% Basculin, 15% Mantykes, 5% Luvdiscs and 0 Heratscales through Thief... was Luvdiscs encounterrate nerfed??)

And I don't care for Hydro Pump because I'll get Surf and Dive on it... the other moves will be Shell Smash and Ancient Power.

i found a lot of hidden Heart Scales through Reborn (even i still fishing for Ludv, it's too rare, like 5% or 10% only). But even Heart Scale cannot help Omastar learn Shell Smash -_-, you can only relearn Hydro Pump (i've checked in Serebii). Surf and Dive Omastar and Waterfall (in the future) for Sharpedo or Gyarados----> 2 beasts with all 3 water HMs without a waste slot on your team :v :v :v

EDIT: and Azery is right. King napoleon is nice for Surf too :), and it can learn Whrillpool itself, so maybe we will need it for the future

Edited by gutten_tag

King Napoleon.... wut.

I think your best bet is to stick with Omastar, or maybe go with something that's a bit more bulky. Like Barbaracle. UM. But if you're talking a pokemon for surf, Vaporeon, Lanturn, Omastar, or Empoleon (Is Empoleon the King Napoleon people speak of?). Considering Vaporeon can learn aurora beam, has a high HP base stat, good SpAtk stat, and can learn acid armor and also learns surf, you have a pretty good pokemon right there if Ciel decides that its time to fuck you over with a physically strong archeops or gliscor or something (I dont actually know the pokemon ciel has, I havent played this ep yet lol), although archeops is kind of a bad example since it's ability is fucking defeatist (I mean REALLY? WHY?)

So yeah I'd go with Vaporeon but thats just me, really. (EDIT: I completely forgot to mention that vaporeon has an awkward speed, however, so you'd have to work around that e.e)

And just a recommendation but it's a good idea what you've, DONT GO WITH GYARADOS. There's just too many flying types that could wreck dis flying fish koi thing. Although, with Moxie and Ice Fang, it could easily sweep the other team. But if you ask me, theres still that high chance something might just have a quick claw. And Thunderbolt. Like Togekiss. Again, I wouldn't know, so yeah... lol but yes thats my opinion on the matter if you wish to take it into consideration \(^-^)/

Edited by Lynxiechan