The problem with starters.....

Aquachu

Is anyone else... bothered at all by the lack of variety in Starter choices. I'm not talking about Reborn specifically here, but in general... Is anyone else bored of seeing the same old starters time and time again? Fire. Grass. Water, It's always the same. This is something that has been on my mind recently. Does anyone else think a shakeup in the lineup would be a good idea. Or am i dreaming a bit too hard here... I don't know, maybe the meth math is getting too me... I can't be the only one who would like Riolu and Houndour as starters, right?

The grass, fire and water is just for the "paper, rock and scissors" effect... Something that i did like about the X/Y starters is their secondary typing, that was kinda cool (AND, the secondary typing is also a "paper, rock, scissors effect - Fighting, Psychic and Dark...)

But sure, i would like to see some different starters one day... Like, a Ghost, a Fighting and Dark starter... That would be "different", on the very least...

OR, they could just give you Eevee and a Water, Thunder, Fire Stone, a Mossy and a Frozen Rock, a Sun and Lunar Ribbon and a "Moon Stone", so you get what you want ^^

Never bothered me. Sure, it's repetitive on the meta perspective since we're so used to that start up, but it's nice to have a good fire/water/grass type from the get-go; you don't get many reliable Pokemon of those types until a bit later in the games. Plus, for newcomers, it teaches them about type advantages with an easy-to-remember triangle.

I'm just fine with the way starters are...Changing it now would break this tradition the game has formed...And that will cause outrage in many.

Besides, the starters themselves usually bring new things onto the table, which is pretty awesome.

If you really want a change, go find a fan made pokemon game or hack that doesn't use the original starters.

• Administrators

^ Correct! In order for a true starter triangle to exist, they have to form the circle both in terms of SE and NVE hits. Dark breaks that.

However, there are a few triangles that do exist. Someone made a list of them before 6th gen, but the only ones off hand I remember are Flying-Rock-Fighting, Ground-Poison-Grass and Fire-Rock-Steel

I think the other thing that's kind of needed is a semblence of relation (Fire, Water, Grass are all "elements")

Flying, Rock, Fighting could actually work there though. They're all kind related. That'd be my choice for starter types if they weren't the traditional three

tbh im all for more diverse choices with starters but im not keen on bird pokemon as starters, as you can find them everywhere, for it to work you'd have to replace every bird with say a grass starter we'd noramly get.

Edited by sandy