EV Really Necessary?

Naphiro

Hello, so I just got done with episode 10 and decided to check out episode 10.5. Needless to say I love it, but I am curious, are EVs gonna be that vital as the story progresses? It seems that the level 80 faker was a subtle hint that there's much bigger stuff to go against and would take more than just simple strategy to take care of them.

Honestly, i don't know what happened, but i started to EV train when i reached Route 1 - I was doing fine without any EV training, but when i reached Route 1, EVERYTHING IN THE ROUTE DESTROYED MY POKEMON (Apart from Gyarados, cuz she's a boss...) So, i'm just going to quote Cobra:

You can always win without EV training*. But it's more difficult, if you don't train.

Eh, I'm as far as I can physically get right now. And, I haven't bothered EV training in the slightest. I seldom do. EV training doesn't matter nearly as much as having a well balanced team in the end. You won't get very far with a Gen I attack only strategy, howwever. Biggest tip I can offer, is always have a counter for Fire and Electric in your party. That's usually what brings me the most trouble in game, due to a particular annoying team.

So, yeah, you don't have to bother with EV training. Hell, nature isn't even that important. Almost my entire team have hindering natures, and I do fine. A well set up team and strategy can solve just about every problem you will ever encounter; no matter what natures or the state of your team's EVs may be.

Ev training seems much more important only in situations like vs actual players.

.... oh god, unless Ame starts giving the gym leaders max ev pokemans..... noooo!!!

my take on it, is that you just put a litle work into it as you level your pokemon up, and you will get a decent enough benifit. you wont have the perfect 255 255 3 ev build, but you will still get usefull gains. So unless you left a pokemon with the daycare for 50 levels, or forcefed them steroid candy, think of it as a side advantage that can help. but wont make or break your team by itself.

Ev training seems much more important only in situations like vs actual players.

.... oh god, unless Ame starts giving the gym leaders max ev pokemans..... noooo!!!

my take on it, is that you just put a litle work into it as you level your pokemon up, and you will get a decent enough benifit. you wont have the perfect 255 255 3 ev build, but you will still get usefull gains. So unless you left a pokemon with the daycare for 50 levels, or forcefed them steroid candy, think of it as a side advantage that can help. but wont make or break your team by itself.

Don't worry, as far as I know you can only give trainer Pokes 85 EVs across all stats at the highest :P

I feel at this point EV training is really far from necessary. On the other hand been making an effort to make sure natures, egg moves and abilities are useful though.

Why you may ask? Cause Ame is going to find some twisted stuff to throw at us late/post game. You thought flobot was bad??!?! Ame has no doubt got more tricks up her sleeve and I know it might be worth re-doing my EVs later. Can't redo natures, abilities or egg moves though (this ain't pokemon zeta people) so best to get that shit sorted now.

Edit: too hard to do IVs without ditto safari!

Edited by Bear

I don't EV train and I've beaten all the content so far. It's far more important to have a balanced team and be willing to train more than 6 Pokémon so you can swap out for certain areas/gyms. Also, glass cannons don't work nearly as well as they do in the main games; I've found that it's better to train Pokémon that can take a hit or two and hit back harder. Getting the ideal abilities is pretty important too, and I always try to get a good nature if possible. If you do that you don't need to EV train on top of it.

eh, i don't think they're necessary unless it's for competitive gaming

my EV's are just messed up, my natures suck, i only have 5 pokemon, i don't use items and i'm allways underleveled :P my team seems to work tho, you just need to make a balanced team, if you lose just try again ( and pray to the RNG that the medicham activates the flame body :D )