Valkria Chronicles

James-Sensei

Well I just started it up and...the graphics are just beautiful its clearly cel shaded style, its bright and colorful for what its about an alternate Europe with steam weapons/different technology?

Story: Welkins has returned to his home to pick up his "sister", however he gets distracted and starts drawing some nature, but is arrested on the spot by a girl, named Alicia, but are attacked by the main enemy force.

The way the story progresses is that its chopped up into parts, basically you can see the cut scenes as parts as you unlock them, after a few battle will be initiated.

Battle: Strategy turned based but has guns, and since this is a game with guns, aim and cover are obviously important, and caution is required as some enemies are hidden and can ambush you. Each unit takes up CP (Command points), has their own range of movement and only allowed to attack once (Taking cover is free as long as you can get to cover). The enemy sight is shown to you and you get attacked if in range. Since this is a Gun based RPG, head shots or attacks at weak points takes up less ammo and hits to kill. Also you can counter attack in this game, and heal HP each of your turn (Its an RPG did you expect logic?)

Music: Nothing to write home about

Graphics: Absolutely stellar, The map screen of the battle field is wonderfully detailed, the environments are just as well detailed, the character models hold up pretty well

Rating: 9/10

The music doesn't really stand out...

Getting this game isn't too hard its around 20 bucks

Also for me at least is giving me feels about what happens throughout the story so far

Edited by James-Sensei

You forgot to mention that the gameplay itself is almost a meld of FE turn base with tower defense and first person shooter.

During your turn, when you control your units, you go into third person mode and move around the map, trying to gain a vantage on the enemy. But the enemy won't just let you run around and let you get into position- if you get within their range of sight, they'll fire upon you. But once you finally choose to end your movement and attack, it'll give you time to adjust your aim in FPS style, and then you let your character attack. Depending on your character's class, you can aim for the head for critical hits with more accurate weapons, or aim for the body or multiple characters in a swath with machine gunners.

Some units you can use off the top of my head.

Scouts- have the highest amount of movement per turn, are lightly armored, and pack a rifle for accurate shots.

Shock Trooper- medium movement range, higher health, and sprays out bullets in a swath with machine guns. Deal quite a bit of damage and are ideal to place near open areas.

Lancers- Heavy armored, low movement, anti-tank class. They fire off one lance per turn, which is rather inaccurate, so it's actually kind of a bad idea to use against people, especially at distance.

Snipers- kind of low to medium movement range, and do not fire upon enemy units that get within sight and range. Low armor, but have a scope to their sniper rifle that lets you get them highly damaging sniper head shots from long distance. These guys do some premium damage, just don't let enemies rush up and beat your face in. These guys take advantage of being placed in towers that appear in some maps.

Tanks/APC's- mini gun turret for gunning down the pedestrians, explosive shells will break down some obstacles that provide cover and deal great damage to regular units and other armored vehicles. APC (armored personnel carriers) only have the machine gun turret, but have higher movement and have the ability to transport several units great distances across the battlefield. Like tanks, they are weaker on the sides, and especially on the back where part of the engine is exposed. It's kind of a glowing blue area that says "insert lancer round here".

• Administrators

Okay well as funny as Zero Punctuation is I think this really must not be his genre of game or something because I can confidently say Valkyria Chronicles is one of the most solid strategy RPGs I've seen.

Although he hit the nail on the head about choosing units because of their lesbian tendencies.

not even gonna lie about that one.