Please note that this is NOT the place to ask for online trades. For that, please use the Online Play forum.

trying to play pokemon reborn

a boy pasing by

Question

I am a casual Pokemon player, and I want to play Pokemon Reborn. I would want to choose charmander or bulbasaur as my starter.I want to know which of the two will be better for the entire playthrough. I also thought about choosing Snivy, but it requires his hidden ability, contrary, and leaf storm that learn as serperior in LV 63 and Snivy at LV 43, and having Snivy until it learns it would be a pain in the ass. I know many would tell me to choose Blaziken, but I played with him in Pokemon Rejuvenation in casual mode, and I would prefer not to play with him because speed boost is broken and part of playing Reborn is to improve as a Pokemon player. Also, if you have tips to give me, I would be thankful.

3 answers to this question

Some other great options are Froakie and Popplio. Greninja is a pretty solid mon with it's Protean ability (for which you can easily soft-reset), and as far as I remember, it has a decent level up movepool. And Primarina learns a lot of useful moves via level up and its Water/Fairy typing is one of the best. Both of those options seem not that good since the first two Gyms are Electric and Grass, but for that you can get some other good early-game mons, and both Greninja and Primarina are good for mid- and late-game, but not overwhelmingly so.

Also! Keep in mind that you don't have to get a traditional starter, because you can get Eevee, Alolan Vulpix, or Porygon if you enter the eeveepls, vulpixpls or monowoke passwords respectively.

I’d still recommend snivy for an awesome mid game experience, hidden abilities can be obtained by reset. Reborn has plenty of good mons in the early game, so you don’t have to worry about lacking a starter until lvl 43. 

Bulbasaur and charmander are quite mid in reborn imo, at least in early game, but if you insist, I’d take charmander because of dragon rage.

I really like my Mega Venusaur, but I didn't pick it as my starter so I couldn't speak to how it performs early or even mid game much. I guess when I've used Bulbasaur before in other games, the most frustrating part is offensive movepool and lack of Poison type STAB, which in Reborn wouldn't get helped until Venoshock in early-mid or actually fixed until Sludge Bomb much later on.