(edit: still need help/feedback/critique) I kinda need help with custom overworld sprites for Reborn

froggybunbun

Edit: Oh my gosh, this is way harder than I thought it would be. After taking in the tips, I decided to re-do the sprites I had, took some inspo from Bianca, Phoebe, Red, and Neo Plasma Grunts lol. This is my third re-do. I'm trying my best but darn, the sprites still don't look good imo. I can't figure out why, but it still just looks... wrong? If anyone here does take commissions for custom Reborn-style sprites: please, let me know. I may be on a tight budget rn but I'm definitely willing to pay for someone to clean my messy sprite attempts up because it's driving me crazy...

image.png.74ae272663427e2f6f1c551901c3849f.png

Hello! I'm new to the forums, but I've been playing Reborn for a while now and I fell in love with it and after seeing people making custom sprites for their OCs to play as, I was like "hey I want that too". I'm kinda broke at the moment, so I can't pay for a commission, and that's why I'm trying to make everything on my own, but it's driving me crazy. That's why I decided to post here. Would any more experienced spriters be willing to help me out at least a bit? Thank you in advance. I attached my crappy attempt at making walking sprites and a sketch of my character. 
TL;DR How do I make the sprites not suck?

IMG_20221027_183304.jpg

sprite attempt.png

Edited by froggybunbun
update

3 hours ago, froggybunbun said:

Hello! I'm new to the forums, but I've been playing Reborn for a while now and I fell in love with it and after seeing people making custom sprites for their OCs to play as, I was like "hey I want that too". I'm kinda broke at the moment, so I can't pay for a commission, and that's why I'm trying to make everything on my own, but it's driving me crazy. That's why I decided to post here. Would any more experienced spriters be willing to help me out at least a bit? Thank you in advance. I attached my crappy attempt at making walking sprites and a sketch of my character. 
TL;DR How do I make the sprites not suck?

IMG_20221027_183304.jpg

sprite attempt.png

Okay, the sketch and spritesheet came out pretty good.

Your character bares a striking resemblance to Officer Jenny in the spritesheet. You can definitely improve them more, but they are very close to looking finished, so with some inspiration from the Zumi sprite from Rejuv, I have modified your OC with a change to the hat to make it look more like a beret, and another with glasses.

boy_walk,glasses.png                                           boy_walk.png.c1888587054812b9c06acf1ffbd8926f.png

I do hope you can learn from the art and improve your own, I am willing to help if you want. Mainly because I have way too much free time and I have fun helping.

And, to answer your question, the best way to learn spriting (in my experience) is to take inspiration from sprites and models and the such. Not too much though, that would be plagiarism.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Aariq said:

Okay, the sketch and spritesheet came out pretty good.

Your character bares a striking resemblance to Officer Jenny in the spritesheet. You can definitely improve them more, but they are very close to looking finished, so with some inspiration from the Zumi sprite from Rejuv, I have modified your OC with a change to the hat to make it look more like a beret, and another with glasses.

boy_walk,glasses.png                                           boy_walk.png.c1888587054812b9c06acf1ffbd8926f.png

I do hope you can learn from the art and improve your own, I am willing to help if you want. Mainly because I have way too much free time and I have fun helping.

And, to answer your question, the best way to learn spriting (in my experience) is to take inspiration from sprites and models and the such. Not too much though, that would be plagiarism.

Oh my gosh, you're a lifesaver! Thank you so much! It's such a huge difference even though it's technically just a few pixels, wow- 
Like, gosh, I don't know how do I say it, but it helped so much. Thank you thank you thank you!!!